FPVLAB

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Peace Drone, collapsible canard platform

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    I think we need to get this on paper at some point
    Do y'all have any kind of preferred format for spec sheet and description? I will type out all information on this aircraft in PDF for reference. There aren't really any traditional "blueprint" style build plans, and shouldn't need to be since it's so straightforward to construct. But some measurements and stuff would be helpful. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    This is an interesting build. May I ask why you decided on a canard? I have tried many canards and was never really satisfied with them and since gave up. How does it handle in crosswinds? What's your secret to making it flyable? Maybe it's time to break out my old FW-42 and give it another chance.

-Alex
    Well, I've always been fascinated with canards from hand-tossed balsa up to Rutan creations. I scratchbuild everything, lately all from foamboard, so when I set out to make an FPV platform I constructed the fuselage tube and main wing first. I started balancing everything out with a pusher motor and found the nose to be silly long and the empennage to be be suspiciously short.

I decided to throw a third 30" airfoil section on as a canard with a slight up-angle of incidence and it worked great right away. It was slow, stable, glided well, and self-righted from dives and turns. As a new FPV'er that's just what I needed, being kind of timid about the experience. As it turned out, this layout also kept all the FPV gear well separated from the powerplant and flight electronics and each part of the airframe fulfilled a useful purpose. Somewhat accidentally, the winglet configuration allowed folding.

I initially flew with elevators on the canard and ailerons on the main wing. With elevons only, the servo and control surface complexity is cut in half but I found the elevator authority is pretty freakishly strong compared to the roll authority, so rates adjustment was necessary. This turns out to be useful for pitch trimming, but you need to be prepared for it.

I kicked up the angle of incidence of the canard 2 degrees in the current iteration. Larger angles yield a more discrete "happy speed" for cruise, where adding power causes a distinctive climb, like a standard aircraft but more pronounced. A smaller angle gives more pitch control to the elevators and the power settings govern more the speed. I like 2 degrees because I can cruise at altitude at exactly half throttle and it glides in at zero throttle at a very manageable slope.

Crosswind landings haven't been an issue for me since I land in a broad field but I think I would just crab it in and let it slide. If you wanted to slip in crosswind landings and takeoffs you would indeed need a rudder, which mine does not have. Crosswind flying is what you'd expect from a slower plane - it drifts some depending on the windspeed vs. airspeed.

Clearly this plane is not screaming fast. For my level I wanted a slow forgiving plane. I wish I could claim some secret but it just kind of worked out nicely for me. I hope some other guys have good success too.

Thanks Alex for the help on CP antennas, which in 5.8gHz fits nicely inside the fuselage!

Peace,
    Ed

Laurel, MD between Washington D.C. / Baltimore
    Ed,
    Nice to see you on this forum. I've followed you progress over on the other FPV forum (Mikey's) and even built a pair of wings several months ago using your technique. I've never decided what fuselage to build until now. Thanks for sharing.

What do you think about mounting the wings with Velcro strips up and over the wings then down and under the fuselage? I'm not a fan of rubber bands.
    Airplanes LIKE to fly : Helicopters WANT to kill you.

Banned
    What a great plane and looks so easy to bput together I can hardly wait to get started.

Thanks Ed and looking forward to downloading the PDF I think I've just found my next travel plane.

Quote Originally Posted by GLEvideo View Post
    Ed,
    What do you think about mounting the wings with Velcro strips up and over the wings then down and under the fuselage? I'm not a fan of rubber bands.
    Absolutely, deep down I'm not a fan of rubber bands either, so please give the velcro a try and let me know how it works out. I just ended up de-prioritizing the wing mounting engineering and defaulted to something familiar in using rubber bands. That part is ripe for improvement so I appreciate anything you come up with.

Ed

Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by ExperimentalAirlines View Post
    Absolutely, deep down I'm not a fan of rubber bands either, so please give the velcro a try and let me know how it works out. I just ended up de-prioritizing the wing mounting engineering and defaulted to something familiar in using rubber bands. That part is ripe for improvement so I appreciate anything you come up with.

Ed
    Nylon bolts! Mount the bolts up through the fusalage like studs. Then put your wings on and spin on the nuts. The only problem is if you crash, there is nothing to give way.

Navigator
    So has anyone found foamboard in the EU that isn't much more expensive than the dollar tree stuff(which I think is $1 per 20x30 inch sheet)?

Navigator
    Just wondering, whats the thickness of the wing and canard? 3 pieces of foamboard?
    I'm hopefully gonna start building this plane soon - but only after I dial in my Skywalker...

Quote Originally Posted by Exyator View Post
    Just wondering, whats the thickness of the wing and canard?
    Using two formers, the main wing and canard are 3/4" thick. 4 thicknesses of foamboard. So it's bottom surface, base former (two on main wing to make channel for spar), cap former, and top surface.

Quote Originally Posted by NDw View Post
    So has anyone found foamboard in the EU that isn't much more expensive than the dollar tree stuff(which I think is $1 per 20x30 inch sheet)?
    No joy on that so far but I can't help but think it must exist! Had some EU guys looking during a thread on the airfoil I had going on RCGroups but nobody came through that I know of.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast