Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to install EzOSD on your Disco Pro

Forum Member

Easy way to install EzOSD on your Disco Pro

As the title says, an easy way to install the TBS/ImmersionRC EZOSD onto your Disco Pro.

The way I did it was a simple way which works as expected. Within the cables that come from and go to the video I removed all but the White and Yellow. These are the only two wires that are required. White is left channel audio which carries a data signal for position, Yellow carries the video signal and I believe it also sends out your Ham Radio callsign on the video. The callsign is required mainly when using something like the Lawmate 2.4 up to 1 Watt.

Anyway, here is how I did it....

Strip out all other colors from the cables unless you need the power, on TBS Disco Pro I choose to use the core to power my Camera (12 Volt) and the VTX (5 Volt).

I use the Lawmate 4.2 Ghz VTX, I cut the yellow and white wires about 2 inches out from the connector to the top plate, soldered and heat sleeve on both wires to a pair that goes to the video in on the EZOSD. The out from the EZOSD goes back to the two yellow wires that heads back to the VTX. Simple as that... I have seen a lot of over complicated ways to do this, but they are not necessary to do in most cases.

Below are some pics of what I did so you can get a better idea.

The video (yellow) and Audio (White) stripped down and soldered.

Slightly better view.

Overall finished product.

Installed and almost ready to test.

Final connection into the top plug.

The end result.

I hope this might get a few of you out of a pickle, the current sensor is not required and is a pain to place, I got mine in sideways just under the top plate VTX connection.
    Last edited by deanot; 18th July 2014 at 08:45 PM.

Forum Member
    i wired mine like this, but get quite a bit of hum in teh picture and the vtx tx signal is flakey. like something is not grounded properly.
    im considering wiring a ground cable from the EZOSD in to the frame gnd somehwere, think this might fix it

Forum Member
    There really is nothing to ground, in the sense you are referring too. Hum I am confused about, do you mean static on the screen? hum to me is a noise (audible).

What it sounds like is a differential in voltages somewhere, question is does this do the same without the EzOSD inline? How are you powering your camera? is it via the EzOSD or is your camera plugged direct to the frame at the pilot camera connection? What camera is it, what voltage.
    ------------
    TBS Discovery Pro
    TBS LAMATE 2.4 Ghz VTX
    GoPro3 BLACK
    TBS EzUHF PRO
    TBS EzOSD
    FlyTrex Core
    FatShark Dominators
    TBS Grounstation
    Empty Bank Account
    ------------

Forum Member
    Hum is horizontal banding in the video source. its normally caused by differences in ground (level) between 2 different hardware sources either side of the video cable.

whats happening in my case is that the ground signal supplied to the ezosd via the bus link cable from the current sensor is dirty.
    the ground supplied from the frame to the VTX via the molex is clean,
    so the video going via the ezosd gets "dirtied" and hum gets created in the video signal.

simple fix in my case was to ground the video input side of the ezosd off a pad on the frame.
    this cleaned up the video

Forum Member
    Weird, I did not experience this with mine. But good to know if someone else finds the same problem.
    ------------
    TBS Discovery Pro
    TBS LAMATE 2.4 Ghz VTX
    GoPro3 BLACK
    TBS EzUHF PRO
    TBS EzOSD
    FlyTrex Core
    FatShark Dominators
    TBS Grounstation
    Empty Bank Account
    ------------

Forum Member
    Hi deanot,
    Do you have the current draw and voltage or only gps stuff when the ezosd is powered this way?

Thanks

Forum Member
    Everything works. The ezosd unit gets power from the current sensor bus output
    Toys, lots of toys

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamkrazy View Post
    Everything works. The ezosd unit gets power from the current sensor bus output
    But there is no current sensor.. Deanot isn't using the current sensor...

Forum Member
    I am using the current sensor, it is how I pick up the power to run the OSD.

So to answer the questions, Yes, hooking up this way allows me to view the current and draw on the EzOSD. Turn off the one on the Core as you will not need it. Also doing it this way, I can see the OSD on both Pilot camera and on the GoPro3.

Sorry, if you look under the last picture, you can see I stated where I put my Current Sensor. If you want a video, I can make one and post the link.
    Last edited by deanot; 17th July 2014 at 04:37 PM.
    ------------
    TBS Discovery Pro
    TBS LAMATE 2.4 Ghz VTX
    GoPro3 BLACK
    TBS EzUHF PRO
    TBS EzOSD
    FlyTrex Core
    FatShark Dominators
    TBS Grounstation
    Empty Bank Account
    ------------

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanot View Post
    I am using the current sensor, it is how I pick up the power to run the OSD.

So to answer the questions, Yes, hooking up this way allows me to view the current and draw on the EzOSD. Turn off the one on the Core as you will not need it. Also doing it this way, I can see the OSD on both Pilot camera and on the GoPro3.

Sorry, if you look under the last picture, you can see I stated where I put my Current Sensor. If you want a video, I can make one and post the link.
    dean please do the vid or maybe some other pics because i cant make out what you are showing me. I was under the impression that you were NOT using the current sensor part. Thanks for the help