Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

Forum Member

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+

Hey people! New to the site. I just found the Team BlackSheep site and I'd love to get a bit more range for my DJI Phantom. This is the Phantom with the 5.8ghz integrated camera you watch on your cell phone. Most of the equipment I've seen looks like it's designed to work with add-on cameras and the older DJI with a Go-Pro.

Any suggestions for something that would work for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    Sorry to say that DJI pulled a reverse of frequencies on this model.
    Instead of controlling the quad with 2.4GHz, like most line of sight RC models, they opted to control it with 5.8GHz.
    2.4GHz is limited in distance to start with and 5.8GHz is even less.
    They need the 2.4 to send the video down to the screen which works on 2.4.
    The problem here is at a busy flying field, 2.4 is used by the regular RC planes and quads for control.
    We use other frequencies which include 5.8 to bring down video.
    So you can see the conflict if someone was to power on their system if you were already flying.
    I may or may not cause a problem.
    The booster on your system is in the 2.4 range and is not used for the 5.8.
    You can read about it here; http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec
    So I guess the short answer would be to upgrade the control system to something like UHF and send the video down with 5.8 to goggles or video monitor.
    This of course will promote you to a long range system ( LRS ).
    Last edited by Richie1957; 27th May 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie1957 View Post
    So I guess the short answer would be to upgrade the control system to something like UHF and send the video down with 5.8 to goggles or video monitor.
    This of course will promote you to a long range system ( LRS ).
    That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I just have no idea where to start or what to buy or what would be compatible with my system.

Forum Member
    I'd say enjoy your Vision for what it is - a somewhat decent flying camera for close proximity.

I started with a Phantom - quit flying it within 3 weeks and built something else.

If you love the phantom, the phantom 1 or 2 (non vision) may be a better platform to work with.
    Last edited by Howzit; 27th May 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    I'd say enjoy your Vision for what it is - a somewhat decent flying camera for close proximity.

I started with a Phantom - quit flying it within 3 weeks and built something else.

If you love the phantom, the phantom 1 or 2 (non vision) may be a better platform to work with.
    I would have to agree with Howzit here, the Phantom you have is a great system and to totally rebuild it would be as much trouble as building a complete new quad but the up side is while you build the new quad and learn what things are all about you still have the Phantom to enjoy.
    Then when you get your new custom quad built you can elect to sell and recoup some cash to fund the new quad.
    Keep in mind that DJI makes their systems to work seamlessly and allow complete satisfaction where as the LRS systems are a completely different animal, they require a lot of understanding and setting up.
    It will take a while for you to get it dialed in, the control frequency of 433MHz-UHF isn't the problem, it's the choice of video down link frequency and the placing of the two systems on the quad.
    This is where the fun starts if you like to tinker and test.
    If on the other hand you are not a patient person than maybe the Phantom as is is the right system for you.
    Last edited by Richie1957; 27th May 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'm very happy with my Phantom. I am definitely not interested in any sort of tinkering or building. I don't own an oscilloscope or even a proper work bench. So perhaps I need to just live with the specs as they are. I was thinking of perhaps something like this option:

http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcomme...d-with-rf-amp/

Just to get me a bit more range. Unless there's something else I should be looking at. My criterion are (in order) - 1) It has to work 2) It has to be easy easy easy and easy to set up and 3) It can't break the bank.

Forum Member
    OK, from what I figure from the link you posted, it looks like a pricey set of directional antennas.
    We use directional antennas on our LRS systems but in the frequencies that match our systems.
    I didn't see any specs about distance for their system but that would be hard to list as there are many things that would make it impossible to be accurate. The principle behind directional antennas is that the communication is focused in a particular direction instead of all around, ( omnidirectional ) . In a particular direction, the other directions are ignored and you end up with a gain in the pointed direction.
    So it comes down to selecting the direction angle you wish to fly in instead of trying to boost power in an omnidirectional lossy flying system.

Forum Member
    By the way, how much more distance are you trying to achieve?
    The specs that your system shows has an average of 600 meters.
    Going to that altitude the Phantom would be a dot in the sky.
    Have you had problems in a lesser altitude?

Forum Member
    Oh it gets so small you can't even see it at all. Like I say, it's not bad at all but I wouldn't say it can reliably get 600M. I just thought if there was some simple method of boosting to say 1.5km would be great. Past that and there wouldn't be time for the drone to return home before it ran out of battery power. I saw a video of a guy sending his Phantom 1 off to chase a cruise ship using some kind of VHF FPV system and I thought something similar might exist for the Phantom 2.

This guy shows a range extender system using external repeaters. Not much detail and it's in German but looks interesting.

Forum Member
    Keep in mind these guys live for this.
    They have the know how as many here in the forum have to build a great quad but they just have to push the envelope just to see if it can be done or maybe to win a bet.
    They don't usually tell you how many losses they had during the process though.
    If you search the forum here you will find a thread about the maximum achievements of the guys here.
    Some of the distances are ludicrous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast