Thread: Is my IPD too wide, or do goggles just not work for me that well?

Mistake Discovery Artist

Is my IPD too wide, or do goggles just not work for me that well?

So.... Newbie taking more and more steps into the hobby. Finally have my plane setup and seemingly working well. Have myself a pair of Fatshark Attitudes (V2) as well as an LCD from the boys at RMRC. Drained sets of batteries today and began really getting fairly comfortable with flying through the video signal even when the plane is relatively low to the ground and nearby (where previously I'd have the urge to fly LOS)

I bought the goggles first, before the LCD screen, several months ago. I made a few flights with them initially but never felt really comfortable. As I was a newbie and also dealing with plane/OSD and other setup issues I guess I just thought I needed time to get used to the goggles. But... I went ahead and got the LCD screen to help with testing and to have something for spectators to look at too. Then I found myself enjoying flying though the LCD. Well... today I got myself up to a decent altitude and convinced myself it was time to get indoctrinated back into using the goggles. It wasn't pleasant and I'm wondering if it is because of my IPD distance is too wide for the goggles perhaps? Or maybe it's my starting to need reading glasses these days? I wasn't really sure... but I noticed something today while messing with the goggles that I hadn't noticed before.

I had the adjustable IPD on my Fatshark Attitudes set as wide as I could get it. I noticed that in through one of my eyes I could read the OSD displays but through the other eye it was pretty blurred. The combined effect with both eyes open was fairly blurry making text on the corners of the image pretty hard to read/interpret. But...! I noticed that if I nudged the goggles a bit to the side that the eye that was blurry cleared up and the other eye got blurry. This has me thinking that the problem I'm having is perhaps that the adjustable IPD isn't going wide enough for me. Does that make sense to you guys that have messed with goggles for a long time? Or.... is it maybe something else?

I have reached the point where I need reading glasses for close in stuff. When I was shopping for goggles and reading about them, someone here suggested I wouldn't most likely need to use reading glasses through the goggles. The fact that I can see the image reasonably clearly when I shift the goggles far enough left/right makes me think that was true...

I was doing some of the flying today in pretty bright sunlight conditions and it really would have been helpful to fly through the goggles. I did a bit of it, but the tradeoff was that I couldn't read the OSD clear enough to make out the amount of the battery (mAHs) that I had used up and I couldn't even be sure of my altitude reading. Image was good enough to navigate...but I kinda like to be able to read the OSD once in a while. Doing it on the LCD is a piece of cake even from a pretty close distance without reading glasses for me (i.e. my sight isn't *that* bad).

So.... I guess I'm just fishing for a bit of feedback on this stuff...

Thanks for listening to my rambling and chiming in with comments!
    Last edited by Flyswamper; 24th May 2014 at 07:31 PM. Reason: I was WAY (and still am) too wordy...

Navigator
    Sounds like your IPD is too wide for the goggles. I had that problem when I bought some Predators without considering my wide IPD (69 mm). They were virtually unusable. I finally tore them open, sliced them in two and added a several mm spacer. Sorta works, but I really don't like them. I have the Dom HDs on preorder and they have a very wide IPD. The Attitudes you have go up to 69 mm. What's your actual IPD? If you wear glasses it will be on your prescription. If not, you could probable walk into a Costco and ask the optometrist to do a quick IPD measurement. It takes all of 30 seconds. I did find that smashing the goggles closer to my face helped a bit. Try them with your silicone eye cups removed. If that improves things, use your imagination from there.

IPD isn't usually noted on a prescription, it's commonly measured by whoever I have making my glasses. It's just the distance between your pupils in mm, you can measure in a mirror or have somebody do it for you. The device they use in a optometry office is more accurate, but it's not too critical for this purpose. Adjusting IPD is similar to adjusting binoculars, setting the distance between the eyepieces so you get a single image instead of feeling like two images. If you can't adjust enough then it will feel wrong and be a strain, at least for me. I find that if the IPD is even close to right I don't have focus problems, just an annoying "not right" feel by the images not lining up for each eye. If you close an eye and still can't focus on the image well enough to read the OSD my guess is you need diopters. The virtual image simulates a large screen several feet away and you may just need some correction to focus. If you have glasses you can take off the eyecups and hold them in front of your eyes to test and see if they help. If your prescription isn't close to the diopters Fatshark sells then you can make your own. I made my own: http://ohmeye.com/2013/diy-lenses-for-my-fpv-goggles/

Navigator
    Since you mentioned binoculars I just tried a little experiment. I got my binocs and adjusted them to my eye width so the image felt, as you put it, "just right". I then used my calipers and measured the spacing on the eyepiece lenses. The result was almost a perfect match to my optometrist-measured IPD. So this is an easy way to get an accurate idea of your IPD without an optometrist.

Liked your writeup on making custom FPV lenses. Nicely done! And Zenni Optical....YES!

Quote Originally Posted by OtherHand View Post
    I got my binocs and adjusted them to my eye width so the image felt, as you put it, "just right". I then used my calipers and measured the spacing on the eyepiece lenses. The result was almost a perfect match to my optometrist-measured IPD. So this is an easy way to get an accurate idea of your IPD without an optometrist
    Excellent idea! Much better than using a ruler and mirror!

Mistake Discovery Artist
    A big thank you to you guys for the comments and thoughts! It helps a lot!

So... today I brought everything inside and thought I'd do a bit of eyeball-goggle bench testing and playing around. I also grabbed a pair of binoculars I have and tried to find the sweet spot. The thing is... I'm not sure I can tell where the sweetspot in the binoculars is in the first place so maybe I'll drop by the local Costco or some other similar place and see if I can't get a proper measurement of my IPD just so I know for sure what I'm dealing with.

The thing about my messing around this afternoon is that I found that I can see nice crisp text in a part of the screen/image but not the full image at the same time. If I nudge the goggles to the right a bit the left side of the image is nice and crisp but the other side gets blurry. If I nudge the goggles to the other side, the opposite happens. Basically, I can pick which side of the screen I'd like to read the text from but I can't read (clearly) the other side. I get this even with just looking through one eye only.

Next... I took the rubber lens shields off and got the lenses a bit close to my eyes. This *seems* to help a bit but I still have a little bit of the same situation where I can get one side of the OSD-text on the screen noticeably more crisp/clear on one side than the other. Nudge the goggles left/right and the other side clears up at the expense of the side that was clear before.

Does this sound like IPD? or does it have more to do with the distance from my eye to the lense? Or something else perhaps?

One thing that I realized while messing with my OSD (RVOSD) is that I can bring the text closer to the center than I had it. It has a wide/narrow configuration choice for the overall OSD text/symbols. I had it setup to wide so the numbers were right out to the edge of the image. I've put it back to narrow and now everything is closer to the center. I think this change and removing the rubber lens guards will probably be enough to make flying through the goggle bearable, though I still get the feeling that I really ought to see if I can't get it better. Really would be nice if I could *EASILY* read all the info on the OSD screen at the same time without wiggling the goggles around my face while in flight.

I think I'll go fly a little now and see how it goes with these changes. Just gotta be extra careful not to let the sun get to the LCDs with those guards removed I think.
    Last edited by Flyswamper; 25th May 2014 at 05:42 PM.

Mistake Discovery Artist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyswamper View Post
    I think I'll go fly a little now and see how it goes with these changes. Just gotta be extra careful not to let the sun get to the LCDs with those guards removed I think.

Of course the wind was pretty calm when I wrote that and started grabbing my stuff to go fly. By the time I got there it was pretty windy. Windy enough that while setting up my ground station blew over in the wind and broke the pretty-blue acrylic on my 1.3 Pepperbox antenna. Guess I'll be messing with that while I wait for a bit less wind.

Navigator
    Just as a side note to this, I love flying FPV with a monitor. I've really tried to like goggles but, like you, I can't seem to get them just right. Instead of spending time, money and frustration on trying to solve all my issues with goggles I got a nice bright 8" monitor and built a shadow box around it. The only disadvantage is that I'm not quite as portable, meh

Cheers,
    Geoff