VideoAerialSystems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dipole on ezuhf diversity

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    ^This is going to sound odd, but you really need to imagine a Yagi antenna to understand this. What happens is that one dipole acts as a reflector to the other and together they form a 2-element Yagi. Of course the location of the dipoles is critical to operation, so a "shot in the dark" is likely not going to yield good results.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    ^This is going to sound odd, but you really need to imagine a Yagi antenna to understand this. What happens is that one dipole acts as a reflector to the other and together they form a 2-element Yagi. Of course the location of the dipoles is critical to operation, so a "shot in the dark" is likely not going to yield good results.

-Alex
    Not trying to argue with you Alex but after you seen this 2 di-pole installation on his multi you said " ^Great installation! On a first glance you are actually increasing the gain of the dipoles by positioning them that way. Good work!
    -Alex
    So your saying now " You were wrong?" and we should not use two di-poles side by side? You told me yourself it's OK to do this, and running two coil -loaded side by side is better then two monopoles that's why I ordered your Semi Rigid & Coil loaded. My head hurts man cause I really don't understand what your saying now!!! We should not have 2 dipoles together in our multi copter applications now Alex??
    Last edited by ZACATTACK; 23rd December 2014 at 10:23 AM.

^ I think you are missing what I said. That particular installation has the proper distance between the two elements so it is not destructive. However, if making a blind guess, you could end up with detrimental effects. The distance between the dipoles should be between 1/5 and 1/9 wavelength in order to not be destructive. The coil loaded dipole is not nearly as susceptible to this issue, though.

A coil loaded dipole and a semi-rigid dipole together are ok. Off the top of my head separation between them should be 3.5 - 4" if both are vertical for best results.

That said, multicopters (especially minis) are usually best suited with a standard receiver with only 1 antenna. While diversity can mitigate issues with polarization and such, generally the installation issues on a multicopter are more severe than problems the diversity could help.

-Alex

Navigator
    Alex,

How is this setup?

Is that ok to use, I placed those during my build

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    ^ I think you are missing what I said. That particular installation has the proper distance between the two elements so it is not destructive. However, if making a blind guess, you could end up with detrimental effects. The distance between the dipoles should be between 1/5 and 1/9 wavelength in order to not be destructive. The coil loaded dipole is not nearly as susceptible to this issue, though.

A coil loaded dipole and a semi-rigid dipole together are ok. Off the top of my head separation between them should be 3.5 - 4" if both are vertical for best results.

That said, multicopters (especially minis) are usually best suited with a standard receiver with only 1 antenna. While diversity can mitigate issues with polarization and such, generally the installation issues on a multicopter are more severe than problems the diversity could help.

-Alex
    Alex, as usual, thanks for clearing this up... All the best throughout the Holidays & Merry Christmas to You, Marc and all the VAS staff members.

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    Alex,

How is this setup?

Is that ok to use, I placed those during my build

Your spacing and orientation looks good to me.

-Alex

Hey Alex,

Would it make any sense to use 2 dipole antennas having one vertically polarized and the other horizontally polarized for example vertically at the wingtip and horizontally along the wing in front of the aileron, kind of like this --|

Nic

Forgive this hijack but since we are on the topic of dipoles and mounting, should the VAS dipoles be mounted in a certain direction given a particular orientation? What I mean is if I have both transmitter and receiver antenna in vertical orientation, does it matter which end (is that the element??) of the dipole is pointing up or down?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigator
    pretty sure it doesnt matter , never worried about it with mine and had no issues