Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CPATCH12: The most compact long range 1.2GHz antenna

CPATCH12: The most compact long range 1.2GHz antenna

I’m really pleased to announce that the 1.2GHz circularly polarized patch antenna, CPATCH12, in which we have been working for a very long time, is finally ready to launch:

At 8.6dB, it doesn’t give the ultimate range of the HELIAXIAL12, but its compact size and its 90 wide beam make it ideal for compact lightweight ground stations, and it still provides crystal clear video up to 30 Km (when coupled with a >500mW VTx with a SPW12).

It is designed to be directly attached to a tripod, with the video receiver velcroed in the back:

It is supplied with a SMA pigtail to connect to the receiver, and individually packed in a cardboard box with bubble plastic inside.

SIZE AND WEIGHT

Size: 130x158x28 mm
    Weight: 120 grams

BANDWIDTH

This is the graph of the Return Loss parameter of the CPATCH12 antenna, designed to cover the channels from 1200 to 1330 MHz.

It is possible to use it at 1360MHz channel, but a small reduction in performance should be expected.

DIRECTIVITY

It has a directive radiation pattern, with a maximum gain of 8.6dB, and a beamwidth of +/-45 (total beam width of 90) in the XZ and YZ plane.

OPPOSITE POLARIZATION REJECTION

This is especially important in circular polarization. In a simple way: the difference between co-polar component (blue, right hand circular in this case) and cross-polar (red, left hand circular) is the attenuation that the antenna will introduce when capturing the reverse polarization, which will come from the reflected signal that we want to avoid to reduce multipath. In these antennas this rejection is bigger than 12dB in all cases, which means that the reflected signal will reach the emitter attenuated at least 12dB compared with the desired signal.

AVAILABILITY

Next week we will start shipping them to our resellers, and make it available through our website.
    Last edited by sircana; 19th May 2014 at 09:43 AM.

Beautiful!

How "bump" resistant is it? Really the question I'm asking is if it falls of the tripod are there any elements to get jarred off or anything like that?

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    BRILLIANT !!

drool. now that is an antenna I would want. Is it being sold in europe?
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

now lets see whats inside it
    Last edited by wyll; 19th May 2014 at 12:05 PM.
    If you didn't build it, don't fly it!!!!
    also

My Stuff : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9F..._as=subscriber

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Very nice! I see you are using an air-space medium as well! This is excellent work, Juan.

If I might ask, is this a K5OE style or is it a different style of antenna?

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Beautiful!

How "bump" resistant is it? Really the question I'm asking is if it falls of the tripod are there any elements to get jarred off or anything like that?
    I would say it's very hard to break it. Breaking one of the plates would require a huge impact. Maybe a very high compression force could damage the feed point solder. But I would say you can play tennis with it.

Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    drool. now that is an antenna I would want. Is it being sold in europe?
    Of course. We already have got an order from one of our european resellers.

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    Very nice! I see you are using an air-space medium as well! This is excellent work, Juan.

If I might ask, is this a K5OE style or is it a different style of antenna?

-Alex
    Thanks Alex. But not my work, in fact.

I let the guys from the University do all the job. Two PhD did all the design, simulation and testing. The main challenge was reducing the form factor as much as possible, getting a bandwidth wide enough, and keeping a good axial ratio across the whole bandwidth and the whole beamwidth.

Almost one year since I challenged them with these needs. Let's say it's not just a standard truncated square CP patch...

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by sircana View Post

I let the guys from the University do all the job. Two PhD did all the design, simulation and testing. The main challenge was reducing the form factor as much as possible, getting a bandwidth wide enough, and keeping a good axial ratio across the whole bandwidth and the whole beamwidth.

Almost one year since I challenged them with these needs. Let's say it's not just a standard truncated square CP patch...
    Darn! There goes my pipe-dream for a 980MHz version! Stunning work though!

Of course. We already have got an order from one of our european resellers.
    yuppie ... i hope like hell it isn't electronicarc! those thieving assholes stole 300 euro off me. Never got any goggles from them ....
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar

I see... So this is not a K5OE (vector driven) version, but another perhaps slotted type. Very nice work. It looks phenomenal too

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting