FPVLAB

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: MaxMyRange - theoretical range calculator

Navigator
    Where do you get these numbers from?
    It is not like people have to enter them at the website.

Navigator
    Interesting question... not sure... I just use the standard google analytics (which 99% - or something similar - of all websites use) and they have an option for viewing demographics. Don't have a clue where google get the data (classic spooky google) - but I don't do anything special.

I do note that these stats represent ~40% of the visitors to the site...

Navigator
    Ha, where do you have to search for to be classified as a 1 year old?

wow. my stock antenna 400mw 1.2 setup should go 5 miles? lol. In a empty sports arena parking lot line of sight I was getting kinda iffy at .6km. Good to know that in outer space it might go that far but these seem very unrealistic at least in the city where I live.

The calculator is actually pretty accurate, and possibly conservative. The key point is that in order for you to get the range a whole bunch of things need to be true, things like your components are working correctly and your antennas aren't broken. Most people get that stuff right. But from there it gets a bit tricky. You could have a noisy BEC, or an HD camera that is noisy, or perhaps your DVR is interfering, or maybe your noise floor in the city is high countless things could be getting in the way. Some of those things aren't easy to measure unless you have special gear, in which case you can try flying in other places or trying different components or meeting other people who do get those ranges. The bottom line is the calculator is telling you something is wrong with your system or your assumptions rather than your data point proving the model is wrong.

Tons of people here are really good at troubleshooting these things. Good luck!
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Anybody find a longer range combo here than 1.2, 1.5w, tx - Moxon with a rx - Gatling. It shows 96 miles. So if I'd be happy w a solid 15 miles this should be my best bet with a really clean set up and good flying area? Just wondering what combo others have found to offer longer range w this cool tool?
    Last edited by Nucc10; 27th July 2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Ross
    Orlando FL USA

Fly Be Free - For a Few Kazillion Bucks that is...

Quote Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
    The calculator is actually pretty accurate, and possibly conservative..... The bottom line is the calculator is telling you something is wrong with your system or your assumptions rather than your data point proving the model is wrong.

Tons of people here are really good at troubleshooting these things. Good luck!
    +1, This.

If you have an RFExplorer or EzUHF has a spectrum analyser then this will help hint at were you are losing link margin.

My model (excel based) that covers the same ground allows you to compare across 5 different setups simultaneously, it will also give you some error margins to help account for when everything isn't perfect. Could be useful to help work out what will give you the maximum range, though if you are looking for 15 miles you should be able to get that in 2.4 video and a simple Yagi.

Click here http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....or-diff-setups
    Last edited by DiscoTuna; 27th July 2014 at 11:29 PM.

I really want a RF explorer but living in a city of 1.3 mil people its just going to tell me RF band is crap.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoCrash View Post
    Hi guys,

"Max my range" may be an exageration but, I've made a little website that calculates your maximum theoretical range given your setup (frequency, power and antennas).

Check it out here: http://www.maxmyrange.com

I've also included the list of assumptions used (such as the gain used for each antenna) in the info pages (little ? top right).

I hope people find it useful and please do provide any and all feedback. Also, if I've got an assumption wrong or am missing an antenna do let me know!

I've also snuck in a couple of cheecky links at the bottom, one for the lab and one for the beginner's guide to FPV. Sentry, if you'd like a different image shout!

Proto
    Nice site!

Navigator
    Nice quick overview of what one can "theoretically" achieve with certain antenna combo's.

Now for a suggestion, for UHF TX antenna, could you please add 3 and 4 element Yagi's.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast