FPVLAB

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MaxMyRange - theoretical range calculator

Navigator

MaxMyRange - theoretical range calculator

Hi guys,

"Max my range" may be an exageration but, I've made a little website that calculates your maximum theoretical range given your setup (frequency, power and antennas).

Check it out here: http://www.maxmyrange.com

I've also included the list of assumptions used (such as the gain used for each antenna) in the info pages (little ? top right).

I hope people find it useful and please do provide any and all feedback. Also, if I've got an assumption wrong or am missing an antenna do let me know!

I've also snuck in a couple of cheecky links at the bottom, one for the lab and one for the beginner's guide to FPV. Sentry, if you'd like a different image shout!

Proto

Nice... does this give you the same results are Disco Tuna's spread sheet?
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Navigator
    Hey - interesting question - haven't tried (but will do). It should give similar results as the formulas are pretty standard. Will have a look...

Navigator
    Hi Derrick, found some time to compare results with Disco Tuna's spreadsheet. The results are identical apart from the fact that maxmyrange also takes into account polarisation mismatch (so using a CP antenna with an LP one results in reduction in range).

Reassuring to see exactly the same numbers come out

#PotatoSaladvsGiraffes
    I was checking various configurations and noticed that the calculator showed a greater range using rubber duckies than with a CL and SP (and a few other combinations). I thought that pretty much anything would be better than rubber duckies, unless the calculator is assuming some high gain ones are being used (I'm assuming it means the stock omnis). Is that a glitch?
    http://www.lastofthelongnecks.com - A documentary about the significant decline of giraffes in the wild.

Navigator
    Hi mattchase, that's the beauty of the thing - you get to discover things like this!

It is actually correct in that rubber duckies have a gain of 3dbi. So between two of them we have a gain of 6. On the other hand a CL and a SP have a combined gain of 2.17 (1.25 and 0.92 respectively). However, its not the gain that makes these antennas the right choice, it is the polarisation. The benefits of circular polarisation over linear more than make up the difference in gain (e.g. multipath rejection).

On the other hand people have done extreme distance records with linear setups (e.g. yagis) so it depends on what your needs are.

#PotatoSaladvsGiraffes
    Thanks!
    http://www.lastofthelongnecks.com - A documentary about the significant decline of giraffes in the wild.

Navigator
    Hi guys,

Maxmyrange has been running for a week now and I just couldn’t resist doing some analysis on the data…

Here are some of the key observations:

1) The most popular (as in, most frequently selected) frequency is 1.3GHz (35% of choices), then 5.8GHz (25%), then 2.4 followed closely by 433. 900MHz has a mere 1.5% (not much of a surprise as 900MHz is subject to legal/interference issues in many countries)

2) The most popular Tx wattage is 500mw (44%, not much of a surprise here), followed by 200mw and 750mw. Anything under 200mw barely got a click while a good 13.7% chose 1.5W (“I know I shouldn’t really, but … what if…”)

3) Cloverleaf is by far the most popular Tx antenna (40.6%), followed by rubber ducky (21%), Skew planar (12.8%), and mad mushroom (9.1%). The rest barely got a click

4) In terms of Rx antenna, things were more interesting and people seemed to try out various combinations. Crosshair was the winner with a mere 16.3%, followed by your omnis (cloverleaf, rubber ducky and skew planar) followed by more or less everything else with a few percentage points each

5) Aaand… the number one combo of choice is a pair of cloverleafs at 500mW on 5.8GHz. Dare I suspect the fatsharks/phantom combo at play here?

Now, I’m not at all sure what this really means – does it show us what setups people use? Or maybe what they’d like to? Or maybe that people just like playing around!

Any grand theory on what actual useful conclusions can be drawn from this?

#PotatoSaladvsGiraffes
    I definitely contributed to the just playing around theory, started off looking at stats for what I was thinking of buying and ended up clicking on a lot of different combinations.

The only thing I would say about your numbers is that the 500mw option is also going to include anyone with or considering a 400mw tx. That's what I currently have and was thinking of getting again but they were out of stock, so I was trying to comparing 400mw to the 200mw.

Navigator
    Hi Matt - thanks for the feedback. Added a few extras including 400 and 600mw, 7 turn helical and the gatling. Keep the additions coming!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast