Thread: MinimOSDS at 5V on both sides vs 5V/12V

MinimOSDS at 5V on both sides vs 5V/12V

I have read many recommendations to solder the tabs and run the MinimOSD at 5V on both sides rather than the usual 5V on the digital and 12V on the analogue. The main reason for these recommendations seems to be around avoiding frying your board.

However why was the board designed to be 5V/12V? Isn't it to separate the noise from the digital side from the analogue side? If I run 5V on both sides, will I get noise from my APM interfering with the video? Can't really find good answers to these questions so any insight is very much appreciated.

I just run video in and out, no power or ground, no noise, single pack system.
    12v has been problematic but on some it was needed to get the fonts etc to upload.

Quote Originally Posted by panzlflyer View Post
    I just run video in and out, no power or ground, no noise, single pack system.
    12v has been problematic but on some it was needed to get the fonts etc to upload.
    did you do any modification to your minimosd (e.g. solder blobs on bridges) for that configuration of your minim osd and which minim osd version do you have? does it get hot ?

No 12v touching mine at all either. 5V only on the digital side. It's a KVTEAM board from Witespy/RTFquads. Great boards for $11.

Solder blob on bridges, Ive run kvosd and minimosd from Diy Drones.
    No mine never get hot.

11$ on the minimosd that's good does it include worldwide shipping?
    Quote Originally Posted by panzlflyer View Post
    Solder blob on bridges, Ive run kvosd and minimosd from Diy Drones.
    No mine never get hot.
    great thanks

MinimOSDS at 5V on both sides vs 5V/12V

My two 3DR's are 5v from pixhawk and 12v on video side, no issues.

the guide was too confusing with old versions VS new versions and then all the clones.
    Last edited by Toysrme; 20th May 2014 at 12:43 PM.

Navigator
    RCTimer version here, running 5v/12v without issues.

Navigator
    Hi, im also running merged halves on 5v with only video connected on analogue side.

I have a slight issue. My osd is flickering a bit and is a bit faint. I found out that if I connect the video side's ground to my vtx's ground its fixed.

Normally I don't have that connected as I don't want to form a ground loop like this:

Battery-ubec-apm-osd-vtx-battery...

I had the gnd (and power of course) between osd and vtx disconnected.

What do you guys suggest? Maybe disconnect ftdi's gnd? ( between apm and osd) Or is disconnecting the halves the only proper solution for Fpv?

Thanks
    Chris