FPVLAB

Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Quote Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
    Moe-Max, I've been meaning to ask you what's the AUW of your Radian? I've modded my old LOS Radian for FPV but haven't had the weather to get it in the air yet and I'm a little concerned about its porkiness.
    Yea.......the WX kinda went to shit didnt it??!! WTF?!?!?!?
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    You guys probably saw this when I posted in the Photo Cache thread, but this seems to fit nicely in here: the master showing the student how to soar!

Definitely a picture worthy of the FPVlab banner at the top of every page. I am getting tired of the some old Sentery shot........lol
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Yea.......the WX kinda went to shit didnt it??!! WTF?!?!?!?
    No kidding! We might get some flyable weather this weekend, but the lapse rates are looking pretty anemic.
    Shut up and fly.

So Brett, you've seen the Spirit in action over at your place, managed to use about 3500 mah out of 4500 3s to climb as close to the peak as possible, only 4 1/2 miles out and glided all the way back while trying to lose altitude. I guess I have no choice, the Windsong will be coming down with the trailer if just for the glider meet, but now you got me thinking about a power pod and video gear. That'll be up there for a while with just mild thermals. Only issue is limits on the lipo size due to limited cargo space.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Yea Scott......You made that flight on a pretty high pressure day to so not a lot of thermal activity at all.

I would definitely put a power pod and video gear on the Windsong. We probably wont spend much time at the glider meet because there will be a lot of 2.4 goingsons and it is NOT an FPV meet. We have at least 3 MUCH better places to fly and soar with no event safety guy grounding us because he dosent like FPV or ever even seen a CGS and doesn't like em. We may go for a bit to show off the CGS's but I doubt they will let us fly'em.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

No kidding! We might get some flyable weather this weekend, but the lapse rates are looking pretty anemic.
    Woke up to snow on the ground here this morning..........I am NOT happy!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Mo-Max has got me all jazzed about the Radian now so I guess I will work on it today and get it ready to maiden. That way if the WX does break I can chuck it off of Damiano Flats (My premier flying site and quite possibly the best flying site in the world.....lol). Especially in aviation, it is better to be proactive then reactive so having it ready to maiden before the weather breaks will be better than getting it ready to maiden BECAUSE the weather broke.
    knowwhatimean?!?!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

The Radian is a dam fine flier with video gear.

I wonder if the Roswell crew might want to check out the trailers away from the site, hmmm. Trying to convince Scotttu to meet up with the Skyhunter if he can. Keeping the fingers crossed.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    ^LOL

I know exactly what you mean.

I think I'm going to get the Diamond 2500 out and start piecing together a Cam/VTx deck.

C5, I also make camera VTx decks for each plane and then fab cam/VTx modules that can be placed/secured in those decks and be swappable from one platform to another as well. I can't really afford the luxury of having a unique set up on each platform.

btw, I think we are getting hit with that same (a) snow storm sat or sun.

Incidentally, for those not yet familiar with DTF UHF, the 6 and 9 Channel Rx are quite small and light lending themselves to light weight builds with compact space. Like gliders for example LOL. I'm refitting every rig in my fleet with them.

will let you know how that turns out.

*will try to do a photo session later and get some shots of all the aforementioned items
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Moe-Max, I've been meaning to ask you what's the AUW of your Radian? I've modded my old LOS Radian for FPV but haven't had the weather to get it in the air yet and I'm a little concerned about its porkiness.
    Dave, the weight without battery is 895g (31.57oz), and 1092g (38.52oz) with a 2200mAh lipo onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Aussie Pete......Thanks for the input! Sounds like some great soaring in your area. That's a beautiful plane! I will probably end up with something like that someday.

Maximus......I got caught in air like that once in my paraglider. I came to the decision that I would rather scratch for lift all day long then be caught in lift I cant avoid. It is a horrible feeling of being out of control and I didn't like it a bit. LMAO!!

As far as the Radian or any other 2ch glider really.......I concur with you about putting it in a dive. Without Spoilers about the only thing you could do is trim down for speed, power up and go find some sink. I bought a set of servoless spoilers for the Bird Of Time but have not installed them yet because I am only wired for 4ch at the moment and with the camera pan option and throttle I am tapped out on channels. I would like to get an 8ch lite RX so I will have some options. Im kind of in the same boat with the Radian.

On your Radian have you considered a very simple split flap or spoiler with a super simple tape hinge.........something you wouldn't have to dig into the wing to much for. I have been thinking about this myself for two reasons really.......The first reason is exactly what you are encountering on those ''Boomin'' days when you could soar a bucket of bricks if you could get it launched. The second reason is I spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on the coolest cockpit full of control features and I will be damned if I dont get to use more than just the joystick and throttle......LOL.

Thanks for the pictures BTW. Do you have some sort of wood support under the canopy for your camera mount? I am trying to keep my FPV pod swappable between my two gliders. I am using the RMRC wood pan kit he sells that is simple to unscrew and pull out of the ''canopy base'' I built on the BoT. On my Radian I think I could do something like you did with your canopy and mount my FPV pod like your camera mount is. Simple!! My FPV pod contains the CORE, TX, and Camera with the Current sensor and vario ''dangling'' underneath so it is all one unit. Just need to plug in the Pan servo when I swap it.
    Attachment 45217Attachment 45218Attachment 45219
    I just found those servoless spoilers on HK. I wonder if they would work well on the Radian.
    When you say split flap or spoiler, you mean adding flaps/spoilers to the trailing edge? The servoless spoilers will probably be more efficient, right? I don't really want to have wires running to the wing as it would make setup time a bit longer and the Radian will lose its simple charm, but I do need to find a solution to the flyaway lift problem. As I see it now, I have a few options:
    1) push the nose down and hope the Radian doesn't turn into packing foam
    2) add proper spoilers to the wing
    3) add flaps/spoilers to the trailing edge
    4) buy a stronger glider with some kind of spoilers

I do have a trick up my sleeve that I've been considering for some time now: a high performance composite slope glider which seem to also love thermals and is FAST. It's called the Toko and is a South African design. It's got full crow brake setup plus camber and spoileron setup. The only snag is there's no motor, so I'll have to add one. I also don't know if it will still perform as well in thermals once I have a cam and other FPV gear sticking out everywhere. Alternatively I've been thinking of keeping it a slope plane and just adding FPV gear. Doing a high speed FPV dive from several hundred meters up should keep me entertained for hours!

Here's one of the local slope gurus, Russell, flying his Toko. Turn up the volume to hear that beautiful whistle...

Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast