FPVLAB

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

A soaring pilot will take a cloud street for miles!
    Ohhhhhh thats barometer climb.......that'll work!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Under the clouds is lift and between the clouds is sink as a rule BTW........with respect to wind and the "lean" of the thermal down wind.

Do you have a picture of your flight cam set up on your Radian?!!??
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Navigator
    Hi guys.
    I have been thermal soaring my electric launch Graupner Maxi Sport for a couple of years now...all fpv.
    The thermals we have here in OZ can get up to 20 to 25 f/s.... that's a ballistic elevator on steroids ...going up.
    Of course what goe's up ...does come down ..at the same rate of sink..
    Longest flight so far is 2 hours 17 min's at 4600ft altitude....could have gone heeps more but had to consider the tx battery power and ground station batteries as well.
    .........Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4232076_300.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	45210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	976896_10200745049741461_752570806_o.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	45211  

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Under the clouds is lift and between the clouds is sink as a rule BTW........with respect to wind and the "lean" of the thermal down wind.

Do you have a picture of your flight cam set up on your Radian?!!??
    Here's some photos. I'm using the pan/tilt mount of CXN Designs, available at RMRC.

I have a problem with getting the Radian down when the lift is really good. I've had it on two occasions now where there seems to be lift everywhere and I had to force the Radian down or else it might climb too high and I lose video. I've read suggestions that I should put the stick in the corner (full up and left/right) but that didn't work. It just did a bunch of stalls while still gaining height. I have huge throws available on rudder and elevator. Any suggestions?
    I'm not comfortable putting the Radian in a high speed dive as it's not the most rigid glider around. I've actually been considering a composite model just for FPV thermals which I can dive out of lift or put spoilers up when necessary.

So glad someone started this thread - thermal FPV is a favourite of mine!

Firstly, Dave Thorberg's book (Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg) is great but it's not going to suddenly give you the secrets of thermal flight, it's more of a guide on what hints and things to look for. And it's written kind of like a conversation between Dave and a buzzard so it's mildly entertaining. It went out of print than then was re-printed (was available from Carstens which is where I got mine) but now is seems to be out of print again.

So far, my key learnings and limited successes with FPV soaring had let me to the following conclusion: you need to have as light a plane as possible. I have had my best thermal success with a CTH Albatross running a tiny motor, 2000mah battery and IRC5.8 system. Small, light and underpowered. It may take 10-15 minutes of slow circling to get the plane into the air but once I'm high enough to hunt for thermals, I can then fly for a long time. My record has been over and hour and the only reason I didn't stay up longer was that I was reaching the limit of my radio control since the thermals had moved about a mile from my location.

We have lots of vultures around here and I just try and follow them as much as possible. They are much better at finding thermals than I!

You guys probably saw this when I posted in the Photo Cache thread, but this seems to fit nicely in here: the master showing the student how to soar!

Moe-Max, I've been meaning to ask you what's the AUW of your Radian? I've modded my old LOS Radian for FPV but haven't had the weather to get it in the air yet and I'm a little concerned about its porkiness.
    Shut up and fly.

Aussie Pete......Thanks for the input! Sounds like some great soaring in your area. That's a beautiful plane! I will probably end up with something like that someday.

Maximus......I got caught in air like that once in my paraglider. I came to the decision that I would rather scratch for lift all day long then be caught in lift I cant avoid. It is a horrible feeling of being out of control and I didn't like it a bit. LMAO!!

As far as the Radian or any other 2ch glider really.......I concur with you about putting it in a dive. Without Spoilers about the only thing you could do is trim down for speed, power up and go find some sink. I bought a set of servoless spoilers for the Bird Of Time but have not installed them yet because I am only wired for 4ch at the moment and with the camera pan option and throttle I am tapped out on channels. I would like to get an 8ch lite RX so I will have some options. Im kind of in the same boat with the Radian.

On your Radian have you considered a very simple split flap or spoiler with a super simple tape hinge.........something you wouldn't have to dig into the wing to much for. I have been thinking about this myself for two reasons really.......The first reason is exactly what you are encountering on those ''Boomin'' days when you could soar a bucket of bricks if you could get it launched. The second reason is I spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars on the coolest cockpit full of control features and I will be damned if I dont get to use more than just the joystick and throttle......LOL.

Thanks for the pictures BTW. Do you have some sort of wood support under the canopy for your camera mount? I am trying to keep my FPV pod swappable between my two gliders. I am using the RMRC wood pan kit he sells that is simple to unscrew and pull out of the ''canopy base'' I built on the BoT. On my Radian I think I could do something like you did with your canopy and mount my FPV pod like your camera mount is. Simple!! My FPV pod contains the CORE, TX, and Camera with the Current sensor and vario ''dangling'' underneath so it is all one unit. Just need to plug in the Pan servo when I swap it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	511.JPG 
Views:	649 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	45217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	510.JPG 
Views:	619 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	45218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	509.JPG 
Views:	590 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	45219
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    So glad someone started this thread - thermal FPV is a favourite of mine!

Firstly, Dave Thorberg's book (Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg) is great but it's not going to suddenly give you the secrets of thermal flight, it's more of a guide on what hints and things to look for. And it's written kind of like a conversation between Dave and a buzzard so it's mildly entertaining. It went out of print than then was re-printed (was available from Carstens which is where I got mine) but now is seems to be out of print again.

So far, my key learnings and limited successes with FPV soaring had let me to the following conclusion: you need to have as light a plane as possible. I have had my best thermal success with a CTH Albatross running a tiny motor, 2000mah battery and IRC5.8 system. Small, light and underpowered. It may take 10-15 minutes of slow circling to get the plane into the air but once I'm high enough to hunt for thermals, I can then fly for a long time. My record has been over and hour and the only reason I didn't stay up longer was that I was reaching the limit of my radio control since the thermals had moved about a mile from my location.

We have lots of vultures around here and I just try and follow them as much as possible. They are much better at finding thermals than I!
    I would love to see some pictures of your set up Siv. Thanks for your tips as well. I am just getting started in the FPV soaring but am hooked after only two flights. I do so want to try towing FPV from the glider anyway. It would be interesting to try it with the Tug FPV as well........lol
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast