FPVLAB

Page 138 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1527

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Forum Member
    Anyone ever put FPV on a discus launch glider?

Forum Member
    Im still looking for an alternative to the TBS L1D Vario for my new Cularis... one that can be connected to the Vtx audio channel and has a good quality (not DIY).
    There doesnt seem to be much on the market, ideas???
    I just dont see me pushing $130 at trappy for a 10g PCB
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=royalblue][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]-LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP :D
    -Why? ...because I can.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Forum Member
    Im still looking for an alternative to the TBS L1D Vario for my new Cularis... one that can be connected to the Vtx audio channel and has a good quality (not DIY).
    If you are an Eagle Tree Vector user (not micro Vector) you can connect your Vector to your audio input on your vtx. A Vector can be bought for the same price as L1D but you get a full flight controller, and an OSD too.
    Also I just bought your plane's brother (or estranged cousin maybe) the Multiplex Heron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	76164
    Last edited by parajared; 2nd March 2017 at 10:20 AM.

Forum Member
    No Vector, I fly RVOSD...
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=royalblue][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]-LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP :D
    -Why? ...because I can.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Forum Member
    I was about to suggest the Winged Shadow Thermal Scout Vario, but it looks like they're out of business.
    It's still a good option if you can find one.

There's a FrSKY precision Vario that can integrate with telemetry, and make your Tx beep, that might be the next one I look into for short-range stuff.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
    Anyone ever put FPV on a discus launch glider?
    I'm pretty sure you are talking about FPVing a discus launched plane but, I attempted to convert my HK DLG into an FPV motor glider with a frsky vario and a standalone 5 .8 fpv cam. It flew but it was too heavy.

Name:	hkdlg fpv.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	76211
    Last edited by ratbird911; 6th March 2017 at 04:42 PM. Reason: picture

Forum Member

Forum Member

Smaller scale FPV soaring attempt #2

This is my second attempt at a more portable FPV soaring platform. It is a 48" GP fling with an added brushless motor in a pusher configuration with an extended rudder and control rods instead of the stock pull/pull control set-up. Servos were moved under the wing to make room for the FPV gear. RC is a Frsky D4R-ii with a precision vario and a voltage monitor. FPV is a standalone Aomway hb25t camera/vtx which puts out 200mw 5.8ghz, with a mic. The camera is on a pan servo. AUW=266g
    Unlike my last attempt, this build actually thermals!

Name:	lo resFPV fling.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	76741

Forum Member
    DVR footage of my Radian slope and thermal soaring with a L1D variometer. I forgot to press record on my RunCam, so that's all I had that day.

This is a HD video of a day later in the same location as the previous DVR video. This time recorded with a Runcam2 at 60fps. I flew over all 3 mountains in the thumbnail. The Youtube description box contains some links to the most distinctive moments. Unfortunately, the RunCam2 battery died halfway through the flight.

Here's another location that I sometimes fly at. The motor was only used for the 17 seconds duration of the launch and off for the rest of the flight. The live feed audio of the LastOneDown variometer has been mixed in.
    In the Youtube description box are some links to the most distinctive moments such as reaching the clouds, flying a resting mountainbiker, etc.

P.S. Does anybody have a video with the live audio feed from the Vector's acoustic variometer? I'm thinking of buying a Vector for my Radian for having an autopilot + OSD + variometer in 1.

@ratbird911 Nice! My very first FPV flight was with a Fling. I also placed the servos below the wing. It's now empty, but I think that'll install some modern gear into it one day (perhaps a Runcam Swift Micro). With it's limited battery capacity, it won't be able to soar for hours though.
    Last edited by turdsurfer; 25th April 2017 at 11:10 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turdsurfer View Post
    DVR footage of my Radian slope and thermal soaring with a L1D variometer. I forgot to press record on my RunCam, so that's all I had that day.

This is a HD video of a day later in the same location as the previous DVR video. This time recorded with a Runcam2 at 60fps. I flew over all 3 mountains in the thumbnail. The Youtube description box contains some links to the most distinctive moments. Unfortunately, the RunCam2 battery died halfway through the flight.

Here's another location that I sometimes fly at. The motor was only used for the 17 seconds duration of the launch and off for the rest of the flight. The live feed audio of the LastOneDown variometer has been mixed in.
    In the Youtube description box are some links to the most distinctive moments such as reaching the clouds, flying a resting mountainbiker, etc.

P.S. Does anybody have a video with the live audio feed from the Vector's acoustic variometer? I'm thinking of buying a Vector for my Radian for having an autopilot + OSD + variometer in 1.

@ratbird911 Nice! My very first FPV flight was with a Fling. I also placed the servos below the wing. It's now empty, but I think that'll install some modern gear into it one day (perhaps a Runcam Swift Micro). With it's limited battery capacity, it won't be able to soar for hours though.
    Amazing... Which radian do you use ?

Page 138 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast