FPVLAB

Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

This will ba a forum for the FPV soaring enthusiast to share videos, pictures, tips, tricks and glider equipment setup.

I am not sure what kind of interest there is out there but I started soaring and am thoroughly hooked!! This is a relaxing yet challenging type of flying for me. I am really new at it but I hope this thread attracts some pros to share their brain power.

Here is my new Dynaflight Bird of Time set up.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	505.JPG 
Views:	2329 
Size:	687.6 KB 
ID:	45159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	503.JPG 
Views:	1572 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	45160
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Co-Pilot
    Subscribed. Some reading on Thermals here:
    http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/?page_id=1633

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    Although its a motor glider, putting together a removable FPV camera/VTx deck for my Diamond 2500 is on my list of things to do this season.

I was really hoping to pick up a masala 3.5 from nitroplanes for an fpv motor glider platform, but have learned that the model has been "archived" by their distributor. Variations of this air-frame are available elsewhere, but at over twice the price.

Looking forward to seeing what develops here. Very interested.

@Durangoflyer

Nice link, good reading.
    Last edited by BravoGolf; 24th April 2014 at 11:32 AM.
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Sub'd!

Here's the link I mentioned in the other thread to Paul Naton's website and videos: http://www.radiocarbonart.com/
    Like I said earlier, I've got a few of them and they're very informative but a bit of a slog.

Found this on sloping: http://www.shallowsky.com/planes/weasel/slopetips.html

Here's something with basics on the wind/thermal relationship: http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/h...-thermals.html

And for a deeper dive: http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/thermals_2006.pdf

I've also heard of -- but never seen -- an out-of-print book called something like "Old Buzzard's Soaring Book". It's out of print, but supposed to be a classic. Amazon had one copy for $50, so it's hard to find.

Looking forward to learning more here!
    Shut up and fly.

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXDave View Post
    Sub'd!

Here's the link I mentioned in the other thread to Paul Naton's website and videos: http://www.radiocarbonart.com/
    Like I said earlier, I've got a few of them and they're very informative but a bit of a slog.

Found this on sloping: http://www.shallowsky.com/planes/weasel/slopetips.html

Here's something with basics on the wind/thermal relationship: http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/h...-thermals.html

And for a deeper dive: http://www.rcsoaring.com/docs/thermals_2006.pdf

I've also heard of -- but never seen -- an out-of-print book called something like "Old Buzzard's Soaring Book". It's out of print, but supposed to be a classic. Amazon had one copy for $50, so it's hard to find.

Looking forward to learning more here!
    There is currently one "Old Buzzards Soaring Book" up on ebay for $29.95 + $4.50 shipping condition new.

There were two a few minutes ago but somebody bought one! LOL

I couldn't write 13 essays on soaring so I'm guessing this book is full of some knowledge I don't currently possess. LOL

So I'm willing to wager $35 bucks that this book has some useful information to help with overall piloting skills which should certainly make flying more enjoyable. And quite likely knowledge that will apply it self to flying other fixed wing platforms as well. If not one shouldn't have any trouble flipping this book on the classified forums.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the heads up PDX
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Flying my Fascination BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
    About to maiden my Fascination...

I use a Radian (regular, not Pro model) for FPV thermal hunting. I enjoy the peaceful gliding combined with the thrill of hooking a good thermal. If you don't have a vario, an OSD with altitude is still a great help to see if you're climbing or not. It took me some practice to be able to stay in a thermal but I'm getting the hang of it. Here's a video showing my Radian doing some urban thermalling. Password is 911rad.

At 1:20 there is what is called a ''cloud street'' right in front of you just off to the left. That is caused by a cycle of thermals off of an object on the ground and blowing down wind.......That looks like a great soaring day! PDXDave and I both bought Radian (2ch) like yours to soar with. I got the Bird of time also for shits and giggles.
    Are you using a vario or just the OSD GPS?!?! I would think the GPS would be a difficult tool to use for identifying lift........but then again I am an idiot......lol
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

UGH... like I need to spend any more money, this type of FPV has peaked my interest. I have a few flights on my Deep Reaper when I was in some areas of high thermal activity. Iwas was really neat watching the altitude climb. I may see if I can find a cheap Radian to give this a go with a plane that is much better suited for this kind of flight.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    At 1:20 there is what is called a ''cloud street'' right in front of you just off to the left. That is caused by a cycle of thermals off of an object on the ground and blowing down wind.......That looks like a great soaring day! PDXDave and I both bought Radian (2ch) like yours to soar with. I got the Bird of time also for shits and giggles.
    Are you using a vario or just the OSD GPS?!?! I would think the GPS would be a difficult tool to use for identifying lift........but then again I am an idiot......lol
    I'll have a look at the video again to see where that cloud street is. I just learned something new!
    I only use the osd altitude but it's using a barometer for altitude which is accurate enough to see small changes.

Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast