FPVLAB

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153
Results 1,521 to 1,527 of 1527

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Navigator
    Hi Roald,

I will be at our workshop at Sunday - will mount Facination together and make mesurement.

Jan

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by LLD View Post
    Hi Jan,

I am also (re)building my Fascination. What is the actual CG distance you are using ? From Roberto's writing I understood it can be much further aft than manual calls for. Something like 110mm or so

Thanks in advance

Roald
    Hi Roald,

current CG position I do have on Fascination is 86 mm from leading edge - in comparison to factory drawing its 1 mm behind last recommended CG postition from manufacturer. In past I had been flying with bit further back CG position too, but after increase of weight by last rebuild to 4S5P Li-Ions was Fascination practically uflyable.

Jan

P.S. Current AUW is about 3850g.

Flying my Fascination BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
    I'm going to maiden my Fascination in the coming weeks once the weather improves. The one thing I don't have much experience with is landing a big glider. Most of my planks I just send into the weeds after I 'stall' them to minimum speed (planks don't really stall). I have flaps. Any suggestions on how to land FPV?
    About to maiden my Fascination...

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
    I'm going to maiden my Fascination in the coming weeks once the weather improves. The one thing I don't have much experience with is landing a big glider. Most of my planks I just send into the weeds after I 'stall' them to minimum speed (planks don't really stall). I have flaps. Any suggestions on how to land FPV?
    Make sure to have crow along with the flaps and elevator compensation; definetitly land the first couple of time LOS to see the angle of attack. I always keep a eye on the airspeed on landings with FPV, it's easy to slow down and tip stall a plane when landing FPV. Good luck and let us know how your maiden went.

BTW- what radio are you using? Taranis has a great thermal glider and slope glider program available with on the fly adjustments.

Happy Flying!

Navigator
    Hi,

depends on landing place. We do have about 100 x 40 meters meadow as landing zone, that is from 2 sides "fenced" by ca. 5 meter tall trees. Two sides are open to long field. As we do fly mostly in thermal or the testing in calm conditions, two dirrections in about 120 are enough for comfortable landing.
    I do use no crow, only very rare in cases of wrong landing approach I do apply flaps as brakes - approx. 60 down.
    Landing FPV is IMHO much easier as landing LOS, because of much finer determination of bank angle, speed (OSD), sink rate and drift(sidewind).
    Landing usualy starts about 350-400 meters from landing point in about 30 meters with speed about 40-50km/h. Depending on wind strength and direction, is by distance to altitude ratio roughly 10:1 plenty of room to loose height - Fascination has glide ratio above 1:15. If stronger headwind - just simple straight glide till landing. With strong sidewind, similar just with angle against wind side to eliminate side drag. In light breeze or dead calm, is necessary to do some snake turns left right to prolong the path and loose height. Shear flight is possible too but bit tricky with F5J.
    Important is to make no tight turns at low speed - if tight turn necessary then increase the speed by pushing the glider bit down. Under 2 - 3 meters there should be only slight banking - the wingspan is realy big :-)
    Holding the speed about 40km/h till somewhere 1-0,5m and then gently pull to slow down. He will also slowly loose the altitude till you hear first grass-blades atacking the plane. In that moment is the plane safe - by same postition of sticks just in 1-3 seconds sits in grass. If grass is very short (freshly mowed lawn) is necessary to hold the straight direction by rudder on the ground till the plane stops , to avoid side slide - the landing will be a bit longer because the short grass do not work as good brake.
    Worst that can happen is being short - therefore half second or second of half power can help -be carefull with very low power - the propeller is then a brake. If you are too long, than the brakes - but you have to count that it creates very strong positive pitch - has to be immediattely corrected by pushing down to avoid stall - therefore brakes are to be applied relatively soon and high. If nothing helps - we just do have the motor in nose and "practice makes master" ... each landing counts because makes you better ;-)

Dont worry of landing with Fascination, it is not so difficult even for me with AUW almost 4 kg ;-) ... your AUW will be probably much lower therefore the speeds you can hold a bit lower - would assume about 5 - 10 km/h.
    I will look in my archive to search some landings, maybe I will have some with brown pants :-D

Jan

P.S. do not believe to OSD altitude reading - after longer flight the air density and change in temperature (and therefore in pressure) can cause big variations - usually about 5 meters but 10 or even more can happen too. To evaluate the landing position is best orientation according view angle. Before flight just stand on edge of landing zone with face to landing direction - if you stay your eyes are somewhere slight above 1,5 meters - if you see from plane the same you are probably too long. If you at same place sit down look around and save you the view - thats slightly above 0,5 meter - exact height where the plane should be at final stage of landing where it is just about absolute straight flight till touch-down ;-)
    Last edited by zlutyslamak; 21st February 2019 at 10:29 AM.

Flying my Fascination BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
    Thanks to both of you for help.
    Here is my flying site:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1652...7i13312!8i6656

One way I've landed other planes is to try to come in low aiming uphill, and try to stall the plane right as I contact the ground with the plane facing uphill. But these were on 2 meter planks. I'm really worried about catching a wing and doing a ground loop that will break a wing.
    About to maiden my Fascination...

Navigator
    Thanks to both of you for help.
    Here is my flying site:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1652...7i13312!8i6656

One way I've landed other planes is to try to come in low aiming uphill, and try to stall the plane right as I contact the ground with the plane facing uphill. But these were on 2 meter planks. I'm really worried about catching a wing and doing a ground loop that will break a wing.
    Hi,
    your landing strip is in one direction over 400 meters long - if you will be in tree level and you fly from trees to the road you have no problem. All depends from wind direction, but even with slight wind in back you can land on this strip - seems to be enough steep. Looks to me the road is higher as tree level.
    Or you have to fly till dusk to wait katabatic flow... that is always downhill :-D

Jan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-22 13_44_09-Mapy Google.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	78971

Page 153 of 153 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153