FPVLAB

Page 85 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Yeah, but in the real world in a Cessna 152 I found to head into a turn, you rolled the aircraft in the direction into which you wanted to turn, applied rudder, to balance the aircraft, usually had to back the aileron off a bit to stop the roll otherwise it would tend to contingue to roll into the turn (secondary effect of rudder I guess) and a bit of elevator to keep your nose on the horizon. Of course sitting in an aircraft is quite different to watching it from the ground so I think that will often make the perception of what to do quite different and getting used to using the rudder "correctly" takes getting to know the aircraft, some, like the Easystar ii absolutely require coordinated turns or the beggar just wont turn. the Cularis, I have found to be a bit easier, but a better turn is done with the rudder to keep it balanced.

It's more an art than a science, imagine riding a bicycle you lean into a turn and use the front wheel to balance the bike, an aeroplane works more or less the same way. It is why the Wright Bros. had ailerons on their aircraft, not for nothing they sold bicycles, and Glenn Curtis rode motorcycles, so there you go ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rfriedman View Post
    On a completely unrelated topic, what do you guys do (especially maximus) about sharing the airspace with paragliders and hang gliders. It is pretty active up where i live, and on a good day I will for sure have to share the hill. I have been asking around, and some are indifferent to me flying and are comfortable. Others say it is risky, and believe I could take them out of the air. Another said he won't be able to see me, but as long as I can see him he is fine.
    For safety, I have a 360 pan. If I decided to start flying with them I would get a $40 radio to communicate with them. I also had the amazing idea of putting a speaker in my Cularis linked to the vario. Basically they can hear me when I am close, and also hear if I am in lift, which will surely make them in favor of me flying.
    Any ideas for safety? Last thing I wanna do is crash into someone, breaking my cularis, and possibly them too..
    A 360deg pan is very useful when flying in the same airspace as paragliders. When I did my 3 hour flight with them, I kept looking around so that I was aware of their locations at all times. If a paraglider turned towards my flight path (even at a distance), I would turn away so that there was no chance of a collision. I often flew parallel (and a good distance behind) them on the slope, and the moment a paraglider turned, I turned away as well. i wanted them to know that I was aware of them and kept safety in mind.

What I should have done beforehand, is chat with them before flying, to tell them of my intensions. However, they were launching from the top of the mountain ridge and I launched at the bottom, so it would have been quite a drive to get to them. I found their group on Facebook a few days later, and posted sceenshots and described my FPV setup. They were very interested, and also commented that I kept a safe distance at all times which they appreciated. They also asked that next time I chat with them beforehand so we could discuss our flightpaths with each other before launching.

Flying with them was one of my best FPV experiences to date, but you have to at all times keep their safety in mind, and rather turn away and miss an epic shot, than risk a near collision or an irate paraglider. If you're not fully comfortable with how your plane handles, don't risk it.
    Last edited by Maximus; 22nd March 2015 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heppy Ket View Post
    ...It's more an art than a science, imagine riding a bicycle you lean into a turn and use the front wheel to balance the bike, an aeroplane works more or less the same way. It is why the Wright Bros. had ailerons on their aircraft, not for nothing they sold bicycles, and Glenn Curtis rode motorcycles, so there you go ....
    true...
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    A 360deg pan is very useful when flying in the same airspace as paragliders. When I did my 3 hour flight with them, I kept looking around so that I was aware of their locations at all times. If a paraglider turned towards my flight path (even at a distance), I would turn away so that there was no chance of a collision. I often flew parallel (and a good distance behind) them on the slope, and the moment a paraglider turned, I turned away as well. i wanted them to know that I was aware of them and kept safety in mind.

What I should have done beforehand, is chat with them before flying, to tell them of my intensions. However, they were launching from the top of the mountain ridge and I launched at the bottom, so it would have been quite a drive to get to them. I found their group on Facebook a few days later, and posted sceenshots and described my FPV setup. They were very interested, and also commented that I kept a safe distance at all times which they appreciated. They also asked that next time I chat with them beforehand so we could discuss our flightpaths with each other before launching.

Flying with them was one of my best FPV experiences to date, but you have to at all times keep their safety in mind, and rather turn away and miss an epic shot, than risk a near collision or an irate paraglider. If you're not fully comfortable with how your plane handles, don't risk it.
    I wouldnt bother about anything without engine. Ultimately those glider guys are stronger than you, so what the heck.
    If there's a heli or some other powered planes around, I'd make a dive. To avoid any commercial flights I'd check flightradar24.com
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Just got a response from the local paragliding instructer. reminded them who I was, told them about plane, and my safety ideas.
    "sounds good Ryan. You will need to know the frequencies we are on to communicate with us. Mine sometimes changes. You can always text me to see what we are using that day. Kay"

So i will be getting a $40 radio to communicate with the paragliders when I decide to start flying at the same time.

Sounds good

It's always a good thing to have proper communication between both parties. I have flown formation with a motorized paraglider (in a trike) before, it was awesome. I still have some footage of that. But that was only possible because the pilot and I know eachother, I would never do that to a random paraglider or any full scale aircraft that enters my airspace, lol.

Oh, Rfried, be careful with radios! I assume you'll be getting something like a PMR, no? Those operate on 446 MHz, which is too close for comfort to the 433 MHz of a LRS. You can not use that along with any UHF LRS, you will need 2.4 GHz or 35/72 MHz.
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Eeeww. If I was flying formation with a paraglider half mile away it could be bad. Thanks for the heads up. Ill try to borrow the rfexplorer and see what kind of noise floor it creates compared to my uhf on micro power mode.

I hope I can run uhf as I spent a lot of time making custom antenna. And if I went 2.4 frsky I would need to get 5.8 gear again...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-22-19-56-12.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	60046Kay recommended dj 175 T on her website. The cheapo baefung radio a random Person recommended transmits on 400- 460, and 160mhz or so. The dj 175 T doesnt transmit on 433 band. So, I may be safe. They were listed as 5 watt radios!
    Last edited by Rfriedman; 22nd March 2015 at 10:00 PM.

A VHF radio will be fine

No radio will transmit on the 433 band, but 446 is pretty close, so you run into issues at longer range. I recently discovered this problem, where I wanted to use a radio (a PMR in this case) and use an fpv aircraft at the same time. PMR (general purpose radios you can get pretty much anywhere) is on 446MHz, so that was a no go for me. Or at least not for long range.

A VHF radio on the other hand like that one should be fine. 160-ish MHz is far away enough. Just make sure all the paragliders have a VHF radio as well, but if he recommended that one then I'm confident you'll be fine.

Sounds good!

Check this out, by the way. Although I would definitely not recommend doing this with a random paraglider haha

Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post
    A VHF radio will be fine

No radio will transmit on the 433 band, but 446 is pretty close, so you run into issues at longer range. I recently discovered this problem, where I wanted to use a radio (a PMR in this case) and use an fpv aircraft at the same time. PMR (general purpose radios you can get pretty much anywhere) is on 446MHz, so that was a no go for me. Or at least not for long range.

A VHF radio on the other hand like that one should be fine. 160-ish MHz is far away enough. Just make sure all the paragliders have a VHF radio as well, but if he recommended that one then I'm confident you'll be fine.

Sounds good!

Check this out, by the way. Although I would definitely not recommend doing this with a random paraglider haha

-Drools. Vid link? I may start to be getting tired of Tim's cularis formation and maximus's cularis vids

That's a pretty cool shot BTW. I will for sure keep my distance ; most likely a few hundred feet for starters.
    probably a mile away at the start

As I am studying for ham, just realized VHF is not UHF I usually ignore abbreviations.

Well, as I briefly researched, it will not be a problem. I will definitely ask Kay to transmit on the usual frequencies, as well as put rangelink in LQ mode.
    Last edited by Rfriedman; 22nd March 2015 at 10:39 PM.

Page 85 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast