FPVLAB

Page 146 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1527

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Navigator
    Hi guys,

is anybody alive here ?... yesterday testing of Sony VTC6 for new airframe - on good old Fascination. Thermal conditions were weak, nevertheless 3 hours 36 minutes.

Video 16x accelerated:
    https://youtu.be/qQrsZmTgvjU

Slamak

Navigator
    I started flying FPV on the slope in 2012, but only just recently got back into it. I've been using a Radian as a testbed, but plan to eventually transition to a slope aerobatics airframe to work on transitioning my LOS VTPR skills into an FPV format.

My first ever FPV flight in 2012:

More recent, using the same setup:

And last night, using a pan-and-tilt and wireless headtracking:

Steve

Navigator
    A fun vid with air-to-air shots of my son's Weasel. It really shows off how awesome headtracking can be on the slope.

This past weekend, I upgraded to a Runcam Split 2. Really nice being able to capture HD.

Last edited by surfimp; 2nd November 2017 at 09:37 AM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    A fun vid with air-to-air shots of my son's Weasel. It really shows off how awesome headtracking can be on the slope.

This past weekend, I upgraded to a Runcam Split 2. Really nice being able to capture HD.

Awesome! The Split looks quite good on a pan servo. Could you please post some photos of your pan setup and how you mounted your Runcam Split? Perhaps I should do the same on my Radian (from a few pages back). I suppose your board is mounted inside the cockpit.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by turdsurfer View Post
    Awesome! The Split looks quite good on a pan servo. Could you please post some photos of your pan setup and how you mounted your Runcam Split? Perhaps I should do the same on my Radian (from a few pages back). I suppose your board is mounted inside the cockpit.
    It's actually a pan & tilt setup - I'm using the Fatshark Pan/Tilt/Roll mount, with the roll servo removed to save weight & energy.

You might think the board is mounted in the cockpit, but since the Radian is just a testbed (this is its third equipment setup - started with a GoPro Hero2 in 2012), I actually just velcro and tape everything to the fuselage. It's not pretty, but the plane doesn't mind the extra weight or drag, so who cares

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3354.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	77663 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3356.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	77664 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3357.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	77665

Navigator
    My equipment list:

Airframe: Parkzone Radian 2m
    Camera: Runcam Split 2
    Pan & Tilt: Fatshark Pan/Tilt/Roll with roll servo removed
    Video TX: Tramp HV
    Antenna: Pagoda II
    Goggles: Spektrum Focal DVR
    Radio: Spektrum DX6e

The Split's board is mounted on a roughly 40 x 40mm square of ~3mm plywood using some surplus servo screws, brass eyelets and rubber grommets I had laying around in the shop. The plywood is then velcroed to the Radian using industrial-strength velcro. Same mounting is used for the Tramp HV. The Pagoda antenna has a small EPP mast to keep it in position, which was tack glued to the Radian using Welders and then secured with Blenderm tape.

The pan-and-tilt is mounted on a piece of ~3mm plywood cut to fit the shape of the Radian's hatch access area. I used the supplied Fatshark plastic mount, which I screwed down on the plywood using servo screws, then wicked thin CA around the edge for a bit of extra security. I cut the tips of the screws off the backside where they protruded using a Dremel, to prevent them from piercing the battery or damaging wires. I cut an access hole through the plywood plate to allow the pan & tilt wires through, as well as the power leads for the camera and VTX. This piece of plywood is held down with a velcro strap - not sophisticated, but extremely effective

There's also a piece of EPP foam taped down in the front section of the hatch area, immediately behind the motor, which serves as a fairing in the section where the prop folds. It also helps hold down the front edge of the plywood plate onto which the camera is mounted.

It's very much a rough-and-ready testbed meant to make it easy to try different equipment. The Radian actually flies better on the slope with the extra weight of the FPV gear, and the drag doesn't seem to bother it at all.

For goggles, I am using the Spektrum Focal DVR, which are made by Fatshark for Spektrum. The specs are similar to the Dominator v3, except they come complete with a 5.8ghz module and wireless headtracking module. As far as I know these are the only goggles on the market that feature wireless headtracking, and it's really a nice feature. They bind to your compatible Spektrum radio via the wireless trainer port and "just work." It's cool
    Last edited by surfimp; 2nd November 2017 at 11:22 AM.

Navigator
    Thanks for all the info surfimp. I think I'll do something like that too. You may want secure that ribbon cable though in such a way that no stress occurs on the part that enters the camera.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by turdsurfer View Post
    You may want secure that ribbon cable though in such a way that no stress occurs on the part that enters the camera.
    I think the angle in the photo makes the cable between the camera and the Split board look much shorter than it actually is. I have tested and verified that no strain is put on the joint between the cable and the camera at any extreme of pan, tilt or combination thereof. I also have taped down part of the cable where it arrives at the fuselage to prevent strain from impacting the board itself. I'm confident that it's fine.

I've started the build on my Aether, link to the build thread is below.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Glider-V2-FPV
    There's no place I can't be / Since I found FPV / But you can't take the sky from me

Last edited by parajared; 25th March 2018 at 01:04 PM.

Page 146 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast