FPVLAB

Page 79 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast

Thread: FPV Soaring....Thermal, Slope, Towing. Tips and Tricks!

Yep I was slope soaring on that flight. But on a really good thermal day, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to stay up that long on thermals alone. Tim did 4 hours on thermals if I remember correctly, also on a 3S 5000mAh.

I stayed up for 30 minutes with only one climbout to about 300 feet. I only landed because I was hogging a video channel but could have stayed up much much much longer. Refriedman.......I dont think you are going to need that much battery for days with any lift at all in it. the lighter the better...........All the motor is really for is to get you up so you can search out the free energy (sail boat fuel). Otherwise you might as well get a Bixler or something like that.......lol!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Yep I was slope soaring on that flight. But on a really good thermal day, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to stay up that long on thermals alone. Tim did 4 hours on thermals if I remember correctly, also on a 3S 5000mAh.
    I bet you had an awesome case of ''goggle eyes'' after 4 freaking hours of those pressed to your sweaty face. LMAO!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    I stayed up for 30 minutes with only one climbout to about 300 feet. I only landed because I was hogging a video channel but could have stayed up much much much longer. Refriedman.......I dont think you are going to need that much battery for days with any lift at all in it. the lighter the better...........All the motor is really for is to get you up so you can search out the free energy (sail boat fuel). Otherwise you might as well get a Bixler or something like that.......lol!
    I disagree. Main reason I got a glider is because they are so damn efficient. Add a tiny bit of throttle and they go vertical. Figuratively speaking, of course, but you get what I mean. And if you do run out of battery, you've got an awesome glide ratio so you can always get home even if you're 10km out and only 1km up

Being able to fly for free on thermal-rich days is a nice bonus, haha
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

My Dominator goggles are modified with biker goggles, much more comfortable and no goggle eyes afterwards!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gogg...-/190870043847

Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post
    I disagree. Main reason I got a glider is because they are so damn efficient. Add a tiny bit of throttle and they go vertical. Figuratively speaking, of course, but you get what I mean. And if you do run out of battery, you've got an awesome glide ratio so you can always get home even if you're 10km out and only 1km up

Being able to fly for free on thermal-rich days is a nice bonus, haha
    Except the ''BONUS'' that your talking about is EXACTLY what this thread is about Sven, so I can come here and speak about it without having to be contradicted by mainstream FPV thinking. While your opinion is valued please consider the thread that you are in, that way I will save so much money on airline ticket fair by not having to buy a ticket just to come to your house to slap you on the back of your over thinking head.......LMAO! You dork!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Hey maximus, mind snapping a pic or two of your goggle mod? Got some dom hd goggles I'd like to mod... thanks.

That is the whole reason I got the cularis. I learned to fly on bixler, and come from a sailplane background. It's about time I use all the free energy from thermals and slope (both at my flying site).

Maximus: Is your estimated mAh used off or something because on OSD it was over 5000. I was puzzled how you fit so much battery in there, but now knowing you only had a 3s 5000 is comforting. I have seen a few goggle mods, and I like the idea of leather. Does it get hot compared to ski goggle mod? I think an advantage of leather would be it doesn't wear out, and is very classy I agree with Priel: Send us some pics!

My latest project, the Lanyu ASW 28:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/attachment....9&d=1426527424
    "Pretending to know everything closes doors to finding out what's really there..." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [TBS Discovery, E-Flite UMX Radian, Airfield P-51 (confiscated from destructive brother), Syma X-1, ZMR 250 Carbon w/CC3D, Lanyu ASW-28 ( Flying work in progress - FPV Brain powered soon! ]

I need to work on my posting skills, I thought adding that link would post the actual pic....derp
    "Pretending to know everything closes doors to finding out what's really there..." ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [TBS Discovery, E-Flite UMX Radian, Airfield P-51 (confiscated from destructive brother), Syma X-1, ZMR 250 Carbon w/CC3D, Lanyu ASW-28 ( Flying work in progress - FPV Brain powered soon! ]

Page 79 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast