Thread: General infos/FAQ

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar

General infos/FAQ

About our CP antennas...

CP (circular polarized) antennas have changed the quality of FPV video down link tremendously. The benefits are less drop-out due to multi-paths and good reception in all aircraft's orientations. What's the catch? Beside bigger Tx antennas size, there's no compromise using CP antennas.

The micro-wave frequencies used for video-link have the properties of reflecting onto surfaces. The higher the frequency, the more it reflect. That mean your Rx antennas might receive multiples signals; one coming directly from the Tx and others from reflections onto nearby objects. The two or more signals coming in at different angles and times "cancel" each others on the Rx antenna leaving it with little or no signal, this is called "multi-path".

CP antennas come in two flavors, RHCP (right-hand-circular polarization) and LHCP (left-hand circular polarization). There's no difference between the two, except the direction of rotation of the waves. When a RHCP wave reflect onto an object it turn into a LHCP wave. A RHCP CP antennas is essentially "blind" to LHCP waves and vice-versa, therefore reflections are no longer a problem. How "blind" is a CP antenna to reflection depend on its quality, a RCHP antennas still have a small LHCP component, it's like yin-yan.

At TrueRC we worked hard to develop CP antennas with the greatest multi-path mitigation possible. We achieved a suppression of -24db which mean reflections are around 10 times weaker than they would with a skew planar wheel* and 256 times weaker than with a normal whip.

**The skew planar wheel is a popular CP omni used in FPV

FAQ:

-Does I have to use a matching set (virevent-virevent or turbine-turbine)?
    >>No, You can use the virevent or the turbine with any other CP antennas as long as they are both RCHP or LHCP, all our antennas are RCHP unless requested.

-Is the virevent best on the Tx or Rx?
    >>The virevent can be on either sides, so does the turbine. If you have only one turbine, we suggest to install it on the Rx side as it have better multi-path rejection and more drag than the virevent. Same goes with the windmill and fan, rules of thumb; put the highest number of blades on the Rx.

-The 1.2ghz category let me choose channels 1080,1180,1280... and not the others, why?
    >>The virevent and the turbine have narrower band at lower frequency so we build them for specific channel on the 1.2ghz band. 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz stay within 1.5:1 or better trough all channels. If your channel is not on the list, just pick the closest one.

-Are these antennas made to order?
    >>I keep stock of pre-cut wires for all frequencies, I then assemble them with the length of coax and connectors requested. If you see 0 stock on the website it's because I'm out of pre-cut wires, delivery may take a little longer.

-What is that RP-SMA connector?
    >>A RP-SMA is a "reverse polarity" SMA, usually antenna have the prong in the middle of the coax connector, RP SMA have a hole and the prong is found on the Tx. FoxTech product use this type of plug and much of the consumer's Wi-Fi.

-Can you build me a virevent, turbine or others for a frequency not listed on your website?
    >>Off course, as long as the freq. is above 900mhz and below 6ghz we will make them.

-I saw a 5.8hz turbine on your site but it's no longer there?
    >>The 5.8ghz turbine is tiny piece of jewelery that take long to built. I make them once in while when time permit.

-I wish to build one of your antenna, can you tell me the dimensions?
    >>I made a tutorial for the virevent here, including details for the turbine as well.

-I read somewhere those antennas does not work with lawmate Tx/Rx?
    >>They do work, all CP antennas that we know work with lawmate products.

-Are your antennas compatible with "Bluebeam" from video aerial systems?
    >>All our antennas are compatible with video aerial systems's

-I want a custom, high quality, hand-made antennas shipped yesterday or else I file a paypal claim and burn you down on public forums.
    >>Get lost.

-I want ot make may own 5.8GHz crosshair, please can you share the dimensions?
    >>Making the 5.8GHz crosshair required considerable amount of time and resources, understand that I don't want to share and end-up being copied by other vendors.
    But even if I did, without the proper tool (VNA), chances of making one right are slim.

-I want to make my own Gatling, please can you share the dimensions?
    >>Making the Gatling required considerable amount of time and resources, understand that I don't want to share and end-up being copied by other vendors.
    But even if I did, without the proper tool (VNA), chances of making one right are slim.

Happy flying!
    Last edited by HugeOne; 25th April 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Heya Hugo,

Im very amazed by you LED system on your planes, do you think you will ever sell PNP LED kit?

Shedding light over FPV HugeOne's Avatar
    That is something I'm looking at. I'll have a RC LED driver made with dimming via channel, LCV...ect
    Once that is working out, I'll look integration into a "light pod" that can simply be attached to any plane.

-Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by HugeOne View Post
    That is something I'm looking at. I'll have a RC LED driver made with dimming via channel, LCV...ect
    Once that is working out, I'll look integration into a "light pod" that can simply be attached to any plane.

-Hugo
    Awesome , Looking forward to being able to buy it :-)

Navigator
    I would be interested in one also. I just down the road. Southern Ontario
    keep me posted please