NG Hobbies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Mission Statement

  1. #1
    NGHobbies ***** nghfpvlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    39

    Mission Statement

    Over the past 7 years I have been asked several times why do we do business as we do, why don't we sell ready built models and aircrafts, and why do we not offer RTF solutions.


    Here is the answer:


    New Generation Hobbies was established as a Hobby Shop. As the name suggests we do things for hobby. Now, my vision of hobby does not include of buying an RTF quad, flying it for 2 minutes, crashing it into pieces then going and buying a new one. That is not hobby. That is extortion of parents...


    Call me old fashioned, but for me making profit is not as important as having a kid (your kid or even my kid) get up from the couch beside the Xbox and in exchange to start build something real, build a real airplane, learn how to solder, learn how electricity works, what is a resistor, what is a propeller, what is an airfoil, why does an airplane fly - etc.


    I was always beside my father when he built something. From a small frame to a garage or a gazebo. I learned how to use tools, how to create things with my own hand and how to make things work. That is priceless.


    In todays world where nobody has time for anything - engaging your child in a common project like building a quad or an FPV airplane is the solution for you to connect with him and bring him out from the virtual Xbox world to the real virtuality.
    NGHAdmin
    www.nghobbies.com
    VA3ZLT, VA3FPV, VE3FPV

  2. #2
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    232
    Yeah, uh, so can I get something ready-to-fly that can go about 10 miles away? I've never flown RC of FPV before, but I'm good at video games, so I should have no problem. I live on the 13th floor, planning on launching out my window, and flying it back in to land. What do you recommend?

    Oh, btw, I want an HD image in my FPV goggles.
    No rest till every single electron is properly accounted for....

  3. #3
    NGHobbies ***** nghfpvlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by e- chaser View Post
    Yeah, uh, so can I get something ready-to-fly that can go about 10 miles away? I've never flown RC of FPV before, but I'm good at video games, so I should have no problem. I live on the 13th floor, planning on launching out my window, and flying it back in to land. What do you recommend?

    Oh, btw, I want an HD image in my FPV goggles.

    I recommend to stay within line of sight and use a spotter and use an RC airfield.
    NGHAdmin
    www.nghobbies.com
    VA3ZLT, VA3FPV, VE3FPV

  4. #4
    HeliMedic ColoradoFlightMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,491
    That's the attitude that makes this community so great! I cringe when I see every new RTF FPV model released... and the swarms of idiots they attract!

    Brooks, N7BLD

  5. #5
    Navigator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by nghfpvlab View Post
    Over the past 7 years I have been asked several times why do we do business as we do, why don't we sell ready built models and aircrafts, and why do we not offer RTF solutions.


    Here is the answer:


    New Generation Hobbies was established as a Hobby Shop. As the name suggests we do things for hobby. Now, my vision of hobby does not include of buying an RTF quad, flying it for 2 minutes, crashing it into pieces then going and buying a new one. That is not hobby. That is extortion of parents...


    Call me old fashioned, but for me making profit is not as important as having a kid (your kid or even my kid) get up from the couch beside the Xbox and in exchange to start build something real, build a real airplane, learn how to solder, learn how electricity works, what is a resistor, what is a propeller, what is an airfoil, why does an airplane fly - etc.


    I was always beside my father when he built something. From a small frame to a garage or a gazebo. I learned how to use tools, how to create things with my own hand and how to make things work. That is priceless.


    In todays world where nobody has time for anything - engaging your child in a common project like building a quad or an FPV airplane is the solution for you to connect with him and bring him out from the virtual Xbox world to the real virtuality.
    That's an admirable attitude but also a little elitist.

    While I personally subscribe to your definition of hobby, I believe there is still a place for RTF models as well as people that only fly or drive or float these models. Everyone fiona there own pace to start and grow from. While I gain immense enjoyment and satisfaction odd putting it together myself not everyone does.

    Using your argument all those that scratch build are more hobbyists than those that put there r tips together from ready made components. We're all part of the same hobby just coming in from different angles.

  6. #6
    Instructor Pilot Channel 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by e- chaser View Post
    Yeah, uh, so can I get something ready-to-fly that can go about 10 miles away? I've never flown RC of FPV before, but I'm good at video games, so I should have no problem. I live on the 13th floor, planning on launching out my window, and flying it back in to land. What do you recommend?
    Fly it towards my home. ;-)

    Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

  7. #7
    Instructor Pilot Channel 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by skquad View Post
    That's an admirable attitude but also a little elitist.
    I agree and the last time I ran into that type of attitude was in a "hobby" shop in Plantation Fl known as Maniacs Hobby and it caused me to close my wallet and find another LHS.

    While I have the experience to build from the ground up I am not in the mood to do so, as such I bought a RTF, actually a few RTF's and if I may say so my self I have learned to fly very aggressively and still avoid crashing, which is more than a lot of the elitists can say for their home built units and so called skills.

    Actually when I see some of the "home built" units posted here and elsewhere I cringe because of the sloppy wiring, poorly designed mountings and the abundance of Velcro, ty-wraps, tape and rubber bands, many of these things are nothing then flying rotary lawn mowers seeking a place to fail over and crash and in reality should never have been allowed to leave the ground in the first place, the sad part is the owners don't know enough to understand what they don't know and yet they are real quick to look down their nose at someone who go's the RTF route.

    It's pathetic, purely pathetic elitism.

    Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

  8. #8
    NGHobbies ***** nghfpvlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Woodbridge, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    39
    I do not see why it can be both ways. The road to professionalism leads through a bumpy road of learning, studying, hands-on experience. Nobody was born a professional. Nobody became a professional after finishing a school a high school, collage or university. After getting the diploma there is always a lot to learn with hands on experience before one can be called a professional.


    Once you got that experience, nobody say not to fly or use RTF. However the RTF always will need modifications to be at your level of expectations. If you do not have that learning experience behind you - how are you going to modify it?


    Do not misunderstand this statement. It is not against you, it is working with you and for you. If you think this elitism - hey, that is only a positive thing. For the elite people who actually want to learn on how to build something.
    NGHAdmin
    www.nghobbies.com
    VA3ZLT, VA3FPV, VE3FPV

  9. #9
    Pilot JCLs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,042
    I find discussion interesting even with the extremes. I started flying helies RTF, but was fixing them as fast as i could on my own. Flying for a minute or so crashing and repairing was a long learning curve because of my lack of hand-eye coordination. It comes with age! I moved on and my 3 year old 550 has an APS with RH, semi-symmetrical blades for 10 min flight times now and i moved to FOV with it last December. I am building a QAV 540 now.

    I also got my ham license.

    Been tempted to buy RTF but think I would be missing something. Seeing folks show up because a couple of us flying and pull out big RTF rigs and fire up is a bit scary. What frequencies are in use etc.

    This is a huge new market with no regulation and anyone can join in. Illegal add ons are everywhere. More and more incidents hit the news. At some point I think we will be regulated and it will involve some minimal level of understanding.

  10. #10
    Instructor Pilot Channel 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Out in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    4,885
    Quote Originally Posted by nghfpvlab View Post
    I do not see why it can be both ways. The road to professionalism leads through a bumpy road of learning, studying, hands-on experience. Nobody was born a professional. Nobody became a professional after finishing a school a high school, collage or university. After getting the diploma there is always a lot to learn with hands on experience before one can be called a professional.
    And building ones craft doesn't guarantee nor equate into becoming a professional.

    Once you got that experience, nobody say not to fly or use RTF. However the RTF always will need modifications to be at your level of expectations. If you do not have that learning experience behind you - how are you going to modify it?
    It is known as a family of skills, a person may get into a particular hobby and actually bring along a set of skills that exceeds what is known by the so called professionals.

    As an example I dare say a majority of modelers of little or no RF experience, yet that is the most important part of remote control, I base that statement on the number posts I have read discussing RF problems and solutions which are flat out incorrect but are accepted as gospel, why, because they are uttered by those of whom are considered to be experts.

    Without realizing it these folks and those they fly around would be considerably safer if a properly designed and built RTF craft was deployed.

    Again it goes back to the not knowing enough to know what one doesn't know.

    Do not misunderstand this statement. It is not against you, it is working with you and for you.
    That is only true if you actually have the knowledge to understand what I don't know and the ability as a trainer to fill those gaps of knowledge, if not it is a waste of my time and that I don't have time for.

    If you think this elitism - hey, that is only a positive thing. For the elite people who actually want to learn on how to build something.
    But not everyone has the desire to build something nor should they be required to do so and that is the market the RTF'ers fill.

    Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Similar Threads

  1. What is your next FPV mission/challenge ??
    By saucisse in forum AIR SHOWS...
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 15th May 2014, 02:19 PM
  2. The V-Day mission
    By faber in forum PILOT'S LAB
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14th February 2014, 08:21 PM
  3. SAR Mission - need eyeballs on it!!
    By Scotttu in forum AIR SHOWS...
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28th July 2012, 08:14 PM
  4. Quad Mission
    By durangoflyer in forum ROTORCRAFT
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 3rd November 2011, 02:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •