www.immersionrc.com

Thread: EzUHF Tx having intermittent binding problems

Forum Member

EzUHF Tx having intermittent binding problems

I have an EzUHF Tx that I'm using with a DX8. Bought it a couple of months ago, and it worked without a hitch for the first few weeks. I am running firmware v1.50 on both Tx and Rx.

About a week ago the Tx refused to work. It kept giving me the - . . . . error code, which means no PPM signal. The cable was plugged into the correct port, and everything was in order. I tried the normal re-bind procedure at least a dozen times, but nothing changed. Apparently, it was never even getting to the point where it could bind with the Rx, because the Tx wasn't talking to the DX8.

I tried lots of fixes during this time--re-flashing the Tx firmware (still 1.50), continuity testing on the cable, reading all the posts I could find on the subject. And all the while trying the normal bind process over and over again.

After a frustrating day or two, I ran across a post where someone suggested the following procedure:

------------------------
    1) Connect suitable antennas to both the EzUHF Tx, and Rx and place them within 1m of each other.
    2) Ensure that the EzUHF Tx is set to low power mode.
    3) Power up the EzUHF Tx by connecting a battery to it.
    4) Hold down the Failsafe/Bind button on the EzUHF Tx and connect the EzUHF Tx to the Spektrum DX6i radio via the trainer port using the supplied cable from RMRC (while connecting to the radio the Failsafe/Bind button must be held down the whole time).
    ------------------------------

This is different from the normal Tx/Rx binding procedure. In the normal procedure, you hold down the bind button while powering on the Tx, which (for me) has always been after hooking up with my DX8. In this procedure, you first power the Tx, then hold the button, then plug into the Spektrum unit. For some reason this seems to re-bind the Tx with the Spektrum controller. Sure enough it worked! Sweet! I was back in business.

This morning I went to fly again and had the same problem, with the - . . . . error code. But now I know how to fix the problem, so I'm not worried. Run through the binding procedure described above and...nothing. Try it 5-6 more times. No dice. Try the "normal" binding procedure several times. Nothing works. I keep getting that same - . . . . error code.

My conclusion is that I have an intermittent problem with the Tx detecting PPM input from the DX8. I've checked my cable, and its continuity is fine. I also took apart the Tx unit, and all the solder joints look perfect. Put things back together and run through the binding process described above, and hey--it worked this time!

So that's great, and hopefully I'm back flying again, but what the heck? Why is this happening? It's not ideal to have to wonder every time I go out whether my Tx will decide to play nice with my controller.

Thanks in advance; any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member
    The 3.5mm connector on the DX8 is a known failure point, I'm suspecting this is the case here too.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Forum Member
    Any way to fix it or mitigate the problem? The DX8 is only a few months old, and I'm hoping not to have to buy a new controller.

Forum Member
    Just did a little more reading. I had the frame rate set at 11ms, which is apparently too fast. It has never caused any problem in the past, but I've changed it to 22ms. I did also see that a few people have had trouble with the DX8, but it seems inconclusive whether the port is really the problem. Will keep trying and post a follow-up after a week or two. I'm using this on a quad, so if it failsafes in the air, no big deal, it will just fly itself home.

Forum Member
    Ah yes, 11ms won't work, glad you found it.
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Forum Member
    I go with the 1.48 and when I turn the station is giving me error signal in the WFLY 9 - .... if you do not play any control. However if I move the sticks in a way I start properly. There is an error with the module frame ppm in the new firmware? I tried the version 1.50 and did the same, had to move controls to make the right start ... -

Forum Member
    Hi everyone
    Ive the same issue with my brand new exuhf Tx unit. Trying to hook it up with my Spektrum Dx18. It really cant receive any PPM signal from my DX18. Ive tried both methods described above with no luck. Ive tested the trainer cord and its soldings. All ok.
    However, I know for sure my DX18 transmits PPM from the trainer port, cause Ive just used it with another UHF-system (cheaper one). In the RCTool software there is a tab for testing PPM compatibility with the Tx, and it confirms that there is no PPM signal (actually more like "it cant see PPM signal..." According to me...).

One is really getting angry with this issue. I refuse to believe that the EzUHF is incompatible with DX18???

Ive latest firmware 1.50.

Edit: problem solved:

It happened to be a faulty cable it seemed. Apparently it was the 3,5mm mono plugg on the supplied JR-cable from RMRC. I resolded the cable with a stereo plugg and it works now. Exactly why, I do not know. If one compare the mono vs the stereo, it seems the stereo plugg is aprox 1mm longer than the mono. Perhaps its the reason in combination with the DX18 output socket?

So...you guys with this problem, solder youre own cables!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Aner; 8th August 2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Problem solved

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Glad to hear its working now.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2