Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New GoPro lens protection product by fpvmanuals

I'll be ordering one!

GoPro mounted on a Pro Tricopter Delrin build with LayerLens installed.

TIM!!!!

Oooooh! I was just building something like this for my new Hero2, and I'm surfing through new threads and BAM! There it is! Haha!

This'll save me some time. I hope it's not too expensive. How do I get one of these? I just destroyed my first GoPro Hero2 when the stupid plastic case snapped off & sent my camera & case falling 500 feet to it's doom. The case split open and ejected the camera, which destroyed the lens, LCD screen, power button, and SD card. Yeah, that was a $400 loss. Ouch.

When will these be available, and how do I order?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
    TIM!!!!

Oooooh! I was just building something like this for my new Hero2, and I'm surfing through new threads and BAM! There it is! Haha!

This'll save me some time. I hope it's not too expensive. How do I get one of these? I just destroyed my first GoPro Hero2 when the stupid plastic case snapped off & sent my camera & case falling 500 feet to it's doom. The case split open and ejected the camera, which destroyed the lens, LCD screen, power button, and SD card. Yeah, that was a $400 loss. Ouch.

When will these be available, and how do I order?

Todd
    Todd -- sorry to hear about your case snapping off at 500 feet. The production version of LayerLens should be ready around January 15th or so and will then be sold at getfpv.com. But if you want, I could sell you one of the proto-types -- you'd have to use your own lens and open the screw holes a bit with an exacto knife, but at least it would get you going with your GoPro2. Contact me at fpvmanuals.com/contact-us if you'd want to do that.

Todd, send GoPro an email with some pictures too, they're usually good about stuff like that. You might even get a new camera out of it! Worth a shot!
    AKA Bonafidepirate

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Excellent idea Tim! What if you made the white layer from EPP foam, or some other soft foam instead (like the foam tape type foam but no adhesive), then it would add a bit of shock protection in a crash. Also, you could have an extreme version that covers the entire front of the gopro, with button holes, and a thin layer of foam under the delrin layer.
    Last edited by volto; 19th December 2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: saw you mentioned material used in post 5
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Quote Originally Posted by volto View Post
    Excellent idea Tim! What if you made the white layer from EPP foam, or some other soft foam instead (like the foam tape type foam but no adhesive), then it would add a bit of shock protection in a crash. Also, you could have an extreme version that covers the entire front of the gopro, with button holes, and a thin layer of foam under the delrin layer.
    Volto -- not a bad idea. The reason for the hard white part is that it grabs the GoPro's lens... you push it on the lens and it stays put... I just made a video and am uploading it now as that aspect of the LayerLens is not obvious from just looking at the pictures. Should be up shortly. I am thinking about making the mounting straps a lot more sturdy and may not use simple rubber bands, but possibly using velcro instead. In that case, the precise cut of the acrylic is not as important anymore. Still tbd.

Using a soft base may not work because the distance of the protective lens to the GoPro's own lens is important. That distance can't shift or change over time or you will affect the recorded video picture. So, it probably has to be hard to ensure the correct lens distance. Also, if the base was soft and you crashed right onto the LayerLens, the protective lens would smash into the GoPro's own lens, which you absolutely want to avoid. The GoPro's enclosure is surprisingly resilient. I crashed my GoPros from high up and they rolled over the ground in crazy spinns... yet the camera always seems to work, happily recording while I look for it in the brushes/grass/gravel.
    Last edited by timnilson; 19th December 2011 at 01:22 AM.

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    I see your point about the lens distance, you would probably need a semi-hard rubber o-ring or something that wouldn't crush over time like foam does.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Could you make one that fits a Sunex lens?

I think it is a good idea too. I cant really think of anything that I would personally change with it from what I can see. Price seems ok too.