ReadyMadeRC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $10 Open Source EzUHF PPM/PWM to Analog RSSI Converter solution inside!

Forum Member

$10 Open Source EzUHF PPM/PWM to Analog RSSI Converter solution inside!

Trying to find an analog RSSI converter for EzUHF to run MinimOSD with my new EzUHF system yielded few options. I tried a simple RC filter and was unable to get the appropriate voltage change including several capacitors and resistors without success.

I had been trying to figure out how to do this myself with Arduino, despite asking for some help on the Arduino forums and getting a few responses I was unable to figure it out after a few weeks of messing with it. (I'm no programmer)

Came across a video on youtube of a guy doing just that and sent him an email asking if he would be willing to share his Sketch. I was stoked to find it in my inbox a couple days later!

With Arduino, you can tweak things with respect to the range of PPM signal received. If you are more adventurous, you could add other functionality as well since there are several board options available. I went for the smallest I could find, and its freaking ‘tiny’ and there are still several I/O ports on it that are not used.

A neat feature built into Vincent’s sketch allows one to use the Arduino serial monitor to see the PPM values real time for bench testing.

Watch his video here to see it work:

This is the board I used: http://tiny-circuits.com/products/tinylily/ Wasn’t sure if I needed to regulate the power for this board as it states it doesn’t have an on board reg and is limited to 5.5v. I decided to build a simple voltage divider to bring the 5.6-5.7v coming out of my Crius AIO Pro clone board down to 3.9v. I did this with a 100ohm and 220ohm resistor. The PPM signal was connected to digital lead 2, and the analog out digital lead 3.

I ran across several threads with people asking the same question so figured it would be worth posting. Thanks to Vincent for his willingness to share his solution!

If you want a copy of the sketch, follow this link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...0U&usp=sharing

One is the sketch as it came from Vincent, the other has a few tweaks to the values for the lily board linked above with a bit of text translated with google translate as well.

Hope this helps a few folks out.

David
    Last edited by djborden; 1st April 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member
    Cool! Thanx for this ill definitely have a go.

Forum Member
    Your minimOSD already is an AVR board (same as an Arduino). Just solder the PPM to a digital pin and put a rise and fall interrupt on it and count the pulse duration. No extra hardware required.

Forum Member
    I just wish IRC would release one or even better built in analog rssi on newer rx.Thanks for sharing this info although I have zero arduino experience so doubt I will be building my own.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

Forum Member
    Hey thanks for the reply. I did try to get that working but learned with Multiwii and KV minimosd its not supported yet. KV minim is supposed to support it in v 2.3 but thats not out yet. ... or Im miss-informed If you have any links shoot them my way!

David

Forum Member
    I was looking for this for my own RC transmitter and this part kinda stopped me dead in my tracks.. thanks!!!
    [SIZE="1"]Youtube username: SicariusMortus[/SIZE]
    [FONT="Arial Black"][U][SIZE="2"][COLOR="red"]F[COLOR="silver"]P[COLOR="blue"]V[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U] [U][COLOR="#ff8c00"]NL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U]

Forum Member
    Great post. Thanks for sharing this! There's a market here for this unit. Heads up Immersion!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
    I just wish IRC would release one or even better built in analog rssi on newer rx.Thanks for sharing this info although I have zero arduino experience so doubt I will be building my own.
    I was talking with Pete from SierraRC.com and he may be willing to sell them turn key for those not interested in programming and building the simple voltage divider. With that said, its really not hard to do and if you have a 3.3v FTDI you should be set. We can walk you through it here on the post.

David

Forum Member
    Would love to see a video on how to do this. Would need to be a step by step kinda thing. From what you need to how to set it up. Surely there are many people that would benefit from this. Who's gonna be the hero?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbwins1 View Post
    Would love to see a video on how to do this. Would need to be a step by step kinda thing. From what you need to how to set it up. Surely there are many people that would benefit from this. Who's gonna be the hero?
    Are you familiar with Arduino and loading a sketch? soldering? If so we can walk you through it on this thread. Its really not bad. If not, contact Pete at Sierra RC. Im pretty sure he plans to sell these setup ready to go.