Page 3 of 374 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: NAZE32 for fixed wing.

Quote Originally Posted by DTF UHF View Post
    Not really it's just a side project as I was satisfied with KVteam software but loathed the hardware, I've made a few for myself, the diptrace files are available if you want to make some yourself.

Anyway, airplane mode.... I've only used passthru and acro (stabilize) modes, with AHI display and gps coordinates, it's possible that other modes may work but I would hesitate to try return to home or more advanced modes until all the other sensors were verified
    Dude!! If only I knew how! I'd love to have a few of these boards... anybody out there can make some for me???
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Spearheading an Aliance BravoGolf's Avatar
    Subbed...

FM you ever make any progress using the KK board with openaero?
    ~BG

Fixed wing: Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    Wings: PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    Multi-Copters: 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Navigator
    Don't know if you're talking about the OSD or the naze... I made a few more flights with my bixler, most of them during windy days, using the stabilize mode. It definately works although the flight isn't very smooth. I'll probably have to tune the PID but I have absolutely no clue how to do that for a fixed wing.

I didn't try althold or rth as most of my naze boards are acro only and I have no GPS. But I did look at the code on the git repo of the baseflight firmware and didn't see anything specific to those modes. I only saw a single line of code concerning the althold mode that may only work if you have a baro enabled (I'm no expert so I may be wrong).

I'd really like to use this when I rebuild my 2M FPV Raptor. Id like to create an epic 6' separation using PPM from a 4ch EzUHF Lite Rx on one wingtip to the centrally located Naze, and place the VTX on the other wingtip. I could still manage some very clean, and simple wiring. Any new updates on setting this up? I've read that there's no naze support for flaps, but I suppose I could use ch2 for flaps, 3 for pan, and 4 for RSSI...

Brooks, N7BLD

Navigator
    RTH code ported to baseflight! who's going to try it first?

http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4934

Navigator
    I'd gladly test that firmware but I have to get my hands on a GPS first. I'll see if I can work something out this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoFlightMedic View Post
    I'd really like to use this when I rebuild my 2M FPV Raptor. Id like to create an epic 6' separation using PPM from a 4ch EzUHF Lite Rx on one wingtip to the centrally located Naze, and place the VTX on the other wingtip. I could still manage some very clean, and simple wiring. Any new updates on setting this up? I've read that there's no naze support for flaps, but I suppose I could use ch2 for flaps, 3 for pan, and 4 for RSSI...
    What's your personal best range record? How good was your video and control at the furthest you've flown? And how much separation between vTx and cRx did you have?

I'd love for there to be a database with those data points. All I can find in 3 years of fpv is hearsay. When I got started in fpv it was all I heard about, getting things far apart, like 3 feet apart! But... being into multirotors I didn't always have a lot of choice, tried to get as much separation as possible but eventually slowly brought things together and found I had better video and control strength. Now with my MonkeyBlunt I've only got 10 inches between a 1.2ghz vTx and Rangelink UHF, but at 4 miles out I have perfect video and good control RSSI... using a less than ideal antenna setup... homemade dipole on the plane, homemade Crosshair on the receiver (neither tuned or SWR tested) and yes I I'm even mixing linear with circular and still have crystal video So... at that range I clearly don't need 3 feet of separation (or 6 feet) but I can imagine that maybe at 10 miles of range, then it could have a noticable affect...? Until I can fly that far, only thing I can think to try on my own aircraft is to move the vtx and cRx closer, like maybe 3 inches apart and head out, see if I can still get to 4 miles, or whether I have to call it quits at 2 miles. Seems like, in my testing that as long as the antenna coax is long enough, the two can be really close together, just need to have the antennas separated. Which is much better in terms of flying characteristics, having the mass (and thus inertia) concentrated at the CG.

(this isn't just a question for CFM, anybody else... cough cough DERRICK?? lol)
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Navigator
    Anyone used a pitot with mininaze? Not sure how to connect it, and what command in cli.

Setting up my z2 with naze mini and kvosd, what flightmode should I start with? Got ppm passthrough and acro set up atm

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
    and yes I I'm even mixing linear with circular and still have crystal video So... at that range I clearly don't need 3 feet of separation (or 6 feet) but I can imagine that maybe at 10 miles of range, then it could have a noticable affect...? Until I can fly that far, only thing I can think to try on my own aircraft is to move the vtx and cRx closer, like maybe 3 inches apart and head out, see if I can still get to 4 miles, or whether I have to call it quits at 2 miles. Seems like, in my testing that as long as the antenna coax is long enough, the two can be really close together, just need to have the antennas separated.
    The separation has almost nothing to do with video range, the purpose of increasing distance between the vtx and control rx antennas is to prevent the vtx from increasing the noise floor that the control rx has to hear through. When you have a transmit antenna close to a receive antenna, the receiver is within the "near field" range of the radiated output which often requires extra high rejection filtering to not deafen the rx. It's like the control rx is a guy on a plane trying to listen to a deep voice audio book in his headphones (your UHF TX) while a high pitch baby is crying non stop right in it's ear (The video TX). Move the baby a few rows back and it gets a lot easier to ignore. Put the baby's mouth right at his ear, and it gets near impossible to filter.

Similar situation on the ground, your control tx is the screaming baby and the vrx is the guy trying to listen to his headphones. The antenna separation on the plane doesn't much affect how well the vrx can hear the vtx, the vtx antenna signal is the same whether it's screaming in the ear of the control rx or not. So it's not unusual at all that you will have the same strong video signal regardless of how far apart you place the antennas on the aircraft. The purpose of separating them is to keep the noise floor as low as possible for the control rx and reduce the need for extreme pass or notch filtering that gets harder to do within the near field of a transmit antenna. The inverse square law really helps out here, a little bit of distance can go a long way, as well as not using more power than you need. Using a 200mw vtx instead of 600mw and a few extra inches of separation might make a huge improvement in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
    What's your personal best range record? How good was your video and control at the furthest you've flown? And how much separation between vTx and cRx did you have?

I'd love for there to be a database with those data points. All I can find in 3 years of fpv is hearsay. When I got started in fpv it was all I heard about, getting things far apart, like 3 feet apart! But... being into multirotors I didn't always have a lot of choice, tried to get as much separation as possible but eventually slowly brought things together and found I had better video and control strength. Now with my MonkeyBlunt I've only got 10 inches between a 1.2ghz vTx and Rangelink UHF, but at 4 miles out I have perfect video and good control RSSI... using a less than ideal antenna setup... homemade dipole on the plane, homemade Crosshair on the receiver (neither tuned or SWR tested) and yes I I'm even mixing linear with circular and still have crystal video So... at that range I clearly don't need 3 feet of separation (or 6 feet) but I can imagine that maybe at 10 miles of range, then it could have a noticable affect...? Until I can fly that far, only thing I can think to try on my own aircraft is to move the vtx and cRx closer, like maybe 3 inches apart and head out, see if I can still get to 4 miles, or whether I have to call it quits at 2 miles. Seems like, in my testing that as long as the antenna coax is long enough, the two can be really close together, just need to have the antennas separated. Which is much better in terms of flying characteristics, having the mass (and thus inertia) concentrated at the CG.

(this isn't just a question for CFM, anybody else... cough cough DERRICK?? lol)
    I keep my personal bests on the down low...

The data that you are looking for must really be taken at face value and understood that it is just "reference". My personal bests are likely to vary a lot with someone who lives in Florida (using the exact same setup), due to elevation, relative humidity, and local noise floor (all key factors in determining actual free space loss). You also have to look at the gear that we are using... actual power output on the video transmitters varies greatly between units, not to mention between different frequencies on the same unit. Lastly antenna selection and tune really dictate your distance potential, the single best thing you can do to maximize your range is have a good receiver antenna. I am sure that you have seen this thread already... but I tried to break it down as simple as possible. Disco Tuna also put together a great spread sheet to compare and contrast different setups. Please note that this is all theoretical... there are things such as noise floor that you can only guess at.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Page 3 of 374 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast