Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4ghz video tx : bad reception?

Navigator

2.4ghz video tx : bad reception?

Hey all, I upgraded to the LAWMATE tuned tbs 2.4ghz transmitter for my video, however the connection doesnt seem to be any better then my 5.8ghz was, this is really frustrating because I spent $500 on upgrading to this system..

I am in downtown L.A. so i'm guessing all the wifi is giving me issues, but I was hoping to get at least double the range of my 5.8ghz.

hopefully i'm just doing something wrong..

I am running the standard rubber duckie antennea on my vtx (should I get a cloverleaf?) i'm using a yagi on my video transmitter.

and I have put my video receiver, and my radio transmitter in a satchel together in a bag i'm wearing on my side.

can you guys give me some suggestions?
    should I switch to 1.3ghz or something else?

thanks all.
    Last edited by nsolcis; 25th March 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Navigator
    I am fairly new to FPV but not to modeling at all. Been flying a LONG time. I would recommend getting or borrowing from a friend if you know someone who has one a RF explorer or RF analyzer type of device. Being in town I bet you would be shocked to see how "dirty" the RF environment is.

I bet wifi isn't it but it could be wifi repeaters too. 2.4 gives great video but there is not such thing as plug and play with no possibility of getting it wrong.

First off find out what is out there or this thread is 100% guessing. If you were out in the country we could reasonably assume several things but in town and major town like that and downtown of all things I imagine you have massive interference.

A RF Explorer is almost a necessity to fly in new dirty RF environments and KNOW what you are dealing with. You can't mitigate what you do not know about.

With a RF explorer you can see what channels are strong and what ones aren't and what to set your channel to and etc.

I wold bet you do have tons of RF just as you suspect but to deal with it it is going to require something to know what is there...

Navigator

somethinglike this?

Navigator
    That's it... Make sure to get model that does all the frequencies you use.

Quote Originally Posted by nsolcis View Post
    I am running the standard rubber duckie antennea on my vtx (should I get a cloverleaf?) i'm using a yagi on my video transmitter.
    I am assuming that you are meaning the yagi is on your video receiver correct? Remember that they are very directional and must be pointed pretty spot on to the model.
    There are many things that it could be. I would suggest finding a long stretch that you can ground test the video equipment without the control transmitter and model powered up (it can tell you ALOT). Speaking of control transmitter, you didn't mentioned what you were using. If it is UHF then you can rule that out (although having the vRx in close proximity to a high power control Tx can cause interference). If you are using 2.4 for control
    please burn all of your gear and give up the hobby to protect the rest of LA
    KL3RM
    Veni, vedi, velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around

Navigator
    Hey I'm in Los Angeles, and have gone 3+ miles on 2.4 ghz, in Griffith Park.

You should define "Downtown". That term means a very different things depending on where you live in LA. If you are flying in that industrialized area east of Dodger stadium near Chinatown, god help you, for that is an RF filthy environment.

and I have put my video receiver, and my radio transmitter in a satchel together in a bag i'm wearing on my side.
    I am not sure how this arrangement works, but if you have added microwave cable and connectors to the Yagi/Vrx than you are degrading your signal. Also, make sure you are on channel 7 or 8 as these channels are the cleanest in the urban environment. So many people are flying the tuned Vtx/Vrx/Yagi in urban settings that there must be something that is causing interference. Can you post photos of your rug so we can see it?

Navigator
    I had the same problem.

YOu need to dampen the TX.

I live in LA too. Pm me I can help you fix it
    Quote Originally Posted by nsolcis View Post
    Hey all, I upgraded to the LAWMATE tuned tbs 2.4ghz transmitter for my video, however the connection doesnt seem to be any better then my 5.8ghz was, this is really frustrating because I spent $500 on upgrading to this system..

I am in downtown L.A. so i'm guessing all the wifi is giving me issues, but I was hoping to get at least double the range of my 5.8ghz.

hopefully i'm just doing something wrong..

can you guys give me some suggestions?
    should I switch to 1.3ghz or something else?

thanks all.

Navigator
    I looked at rf Explorer manual. Does it also measure the frequencies above 2.4 ghz?

Quote Originally Posted by stesildi View Post
    I looked at rf Explorer manual. Does it also measure the frequencies above 2.4 ghz?
    Depends on which one you get but I think they max out at 2.7Ghz
    KL3RM
    Veni, vedi, velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around