Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CineTank Mk.1 - Official Build Video

Quote Originally Posted by LVSloper View Post
    No problem, I have the video of the crash and the hike in and out of the canyon. It should make for a very entertaining video and testament to the toughness of your CineTank design.

do you mind sharing it with me? or post the raw files on a drop box?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by bllama View Post
    do you mind sharing it with me? or post the raw files on a drop box?

Not at all, pm me your email and I will try to post the Raw GP crash & recovery video to Google Drive. I've never used a drop box before; so, Google Drive is new to me as well.

Navigator

Help with mk1 xl

Hello folks,

I just bought a prebuilt mk1 from rcgroups. Very clean build, this one has longer arms and has super powerful mt2217 880kv motors. I'm running it on 10/5.5 props on 4s 4000mah. This thing is a rocket. It hovers at 25%. But I have tuning issues. On rate mode it drifts and rolls to the left.. Plus twitches when throttle is increased beyond 60% (as its rising). I have a few noob questions.
    1) what is the advantage of longer arms?
    2) what prop size is recommend for longer arms (the seller said I could go up to 12")
    3) will I be ok to revert to the original shorter arms with the high torque 860kv motors and 9x4.5 props?? (Would this lead to smoother performance?)

Thanks In advance for the assistance.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by madhuboy View Post
    I just bought a prebuilt mk1 from rcgroups.
    You won't regret your purchase. The support from both the company and community is amazing. My experience thus far has been exceptional.

But I have tuning issues. On rate mode it drifts and rolls to the left.. Plus twitches when throttle is increased beyond 60% (as its rising).
    Tuning issues sounds to be definitely at play. What flight Controller are you using and have you tried the default PID's on the Flying Cinema website as a starting point?

1) what is the advantage of longer arms?
    It fits larger props. Which means greater capacity for payload and longer flight time at, arguably, the expense of maneuverability.

2) what prop size is recommend for longer arms (the seller said I could go up to 12")
    It sounds like you have purchased the CineTank-L. Are the arms 212mm in length? You need to remember that the prop size, pitch and motor specifications are all interrelated. You can't change one without considering the impact on the other two.

3) will I be ok to revert to the original shorter arms with the high torque 860kv motors and 9x4.5 props?? (Would this lead to smoother performance?)
    Why replace the arms? Just drop the prop size on the existing arms before you take the extra cost.

I'd highly recommend you take some time to evaluate some options in eCalc. If you're not looking for a rocket ship -- and it doesn't sound like you are -- then you're aiming for a hover at about 50% throttle, give or take a few percent.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt- View Post
    You won't regret your purchase. The support from both the company and community is amazing. My experience thus far has been exceptional.

Tuning issues sounds to be definitely at play. What flight Controller are you using and have you tried the default PID's on the Flying Cinema website as a starting point?

It fits larger props. Which means greater capacity for payload and longer flight time at, arguably, the expense of maneuverability.

It sounds like you have purchased the CineTank-L. Are the arms 212mm in length? You need to remember that the prop size, pitch and motor specifications are all interrelated. You can't change one without considering the impact on the other two.

Why replace the arms? Just drop the prop size on the existing arms before you take the extra cost.

I'd highly recommend you take some time to evaluate some options in eCalc. If you're not looking for a rocket ship -- and it doesn't sound like you are -- then you're aiming for a hover at about 50% throttle, give or take a few percent.
    Great recommendations Matt-.
    those motors should handle 10-11in props with out any problem.

Look forward to any questions you might have.

Navigator
    Thanks Matt!! Very detailed and precise info! I am very pleased with the prompt/timely response. Without support From fellow rc hobbiests I would totally be lost and wouldn't have been able to go past my proto x to be honest.

Additional info:
    I'm using acro Naze 32. I have been successful at dialing in my mini quads using Naze to the T!

This is my video from my mxp230 after spending about 4 hours on nothing but PID tuning.
    http://youtu.be/HfOAoKhMzpk

But it's been a much daunting task with the cinetank. (FYI: I tried autotune on clean flight yesterday, OMG what a disaster!! The quad started doing random 180 roll on horizon mode, most nerve racking thing ever! After landing I see the PIDs are ridiculously spiked! So I reflashed the Naze and decided to deal with PIDs the hard/traditional way).
    I don't intend to fly the cinetank like a mini but I do like the thrust for acrobatic flights and to get me out of trouble on flips and rolls. I don't intend to carry large payloads (however I did order a gimbal for filming purpose) nor am I a fan for long flight times.. The way I fly I am ready for a break in 5 mins, (timer set to 4mins). Moving to shorter arms won't cost me a thing since the seller as kind enough to include extra pairs of the shorter and longer arms. I just placed an order for 11x4.5 and 12x5 props. I checked the motor specs and they are able to handle those with ease. I was wondering if this motor is over kill for shorter arms with smaller props?

Another unbelievable frustration I have had with this frame from day 1- The 3d printed landing pads, boy o boy, I can't figure out why they decided to go with cheap landing pads on such a high quality frame? I tried to remove the arms to get to the dirty section to wire the becs. The problem started with the very first screw I tried to unscrew, the nut stripped the landing pad so it keeps turning.. Tried the second one same thing.. Was able to get the 3rd and 4th screw out without any issues.. Moved to arm number 2. Same thing happened on the first screw, so I decided to not mess with it and just to tap out power from the battery connector (which makes for a very unclean build). So back to arm number 1 where I have two screws out and two screws out half way with the nuts turning cuz the landing pad is stripped. My only option was to saw off the screws and use the extra landing pads the seller provided. So I did that. Went to put the new landing pad.. Successfully tightened the first screw. The second screw after like 3 turns the landing pad stripped and I couldn't tighten it any more.. Now I have to saw it off again?? Is anyone else having these issues?? With these issues I'm dreading chaing the arms since I am afraid I will have to saw off most of the remaining 12 screws just to get the arm out!

Quote Originally Posted by madhuboy View Post
    Thanks Matt!! Very detailed and precise info! I am very pleased with the prompt/timely response. Without support From fellow rc hobbiests I would totally be lost and wouldn't have been able to go past my proto x to be honest.

Additional info:
    I'm using acro Naze 32. I have been successful at dialing in my mini quads using Naze to the T!

This is my video from my mxp230 after spending about 4 hours on nothing but PID tuning.
    http://youtu.be/HfOAoKhMzpk

But it's been a much daunting task with the cinetank. (FYI: I tried autotune on clean flight yesterday, OMG what a disaster!! The quad started doing random 180 roll on horizon mode, most nerve racking thing ever! After landing I see the PIDs are ridiculously spiked! So I reflashed the Naze and decided to deal with PIDs the hard/traditional way).
    I don't intend to fly the cinetank like a mini but I do like the thrust for acrobatic flights and to get me out of trouble on flips and rolls. I don't intend to carry large payloads (however I did order a gimbal for filming purpose) nor am I a fan for long flight times.. The way I fly I am ready for a break in 5 mins, (timer set to 4mins). Moving to shorter arms won't cost me a thing since the seller as kind enough to include extra pairs of the shorter and longer arms. I just placed an order for 11x4.5 and 12x5 props. I checked the motor specs and they are able to handle those with ease. I was wondering if this motor is over kill for shorter arms with smaller props?

Another unbelievable frustration I have had with this frame from day 1- The 3d printed landing pads, boy o boy, I can't figure out why they decided to go with cheap landing pads on such a high quality frame? I tried to remove the arms to get to the dirty section to wire the becs. The problem started with the very first screw I tried to unscrew, the nut stripped the landing pad so it keeps turning.. Tried the second one same thing.. Was able to get the 3rd and 4th screw out without any issues.. Moved to arm number 2. Same thing happened on the first screw, so I decided to not mess with it and just to tap out power from the battery connector (which makes for a very unclean build). So back to arm number 1 where I have two screws out and two screws out half way with the nuts turning cuz the landing pad is stripped. My only option was to saw off the screws and use the extra landing pads the seller provided. So I did that. Went to put the new landing pad.. Successfully tightened the first screw. The second screw after like 3 turns the landing pad stripped and I couldn't tighten it any more.. Now I have to saw it off again?? Is anyone else having these issues?? With these issues I'm dreading chaing the arms since I am afraid I will have to saw off most of the remaining 12 screws just to get the arm out!
    Pm me some pics of the issue and I would gladly send you replacement landing pads.