FPVLAB

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How hard to fly a fixed wing?

Forum Member
    i never flight a fixed wing before, and started with the TBS Caipirinha.

First flight awesome... just some trimming to do. decided too see all the fuss about wings gliding with no motor...... tip stall crashed hard.
    Second flight awesome flight, at 10 minutes servo cable disconnected spiral of death.... wing broken in half (this thing repairs like nothing happened to it!!)
    Third flight AMAZING no issues flew 27minutes did some FPV nice soft landing.

i'm out of motor mounts (this thing seems to break a lot in the caipi) but i am enjoying this wing a lot. i thing flying the quad in manual helps a lot when moving to a fixed wing.
    legendaryfpv . com

In Action: RangerEx - Sky Hero Spy Y6
    Retired: TBS Discovery(upgraded to pro), Disco Pro(SOLD), Go Discover(Sold), RVJet(Sold), TBS Caipirinha(Sold)

Forum Member
    When i first got into fpv, and after having flown a plane fpv got good at it, then I tried a tricopter. Man that was a terrifying experience. I could fly one LOS no problem, but FPV hovering in anything smaller than a 50 foot sphere was near impossible at first. As others have said, STICK TIME is the only way to get better.

FPVing a multi in stabilized mode freaks me out most of the time. I can do it, but manual mode is much more natural to me.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]

Fixed wing was fairly simple for me to pick up. Some of you remember when I first got into multis though LOL.

"It's like trying to balance a golf club vertically on the tip of your finger, is it suppose to be like that?!?"

of course now I'm da boss, or at least not bad

Forum Member

Ah the Days

I started flying 09's then glow'z in the 40 size with 3 or 4 channels. I picked a Mode 2 type set-up it was easier to me to use the right thumb on the stick for Aileron and Elevator; the throttle and rudder on the left stick.

I'd be one to say use that set-up.

I would also say pick the Airfoil to help you learn like the Glow trainers would have a flat under the wing with a lifting type top airfoil, Eagle2 comes to mind, and a Avistar is the next step up from the trainer.

I also had to use a larger prop being that i was at 4200ft above sea level and need a prop to bite the air better.

Ease of learning would kinda be like flying a glider with a trainer wing, then a trainer then an advanced wing for aerobatics.

Hope this helps,

I switched to electric just to keep my planes cleaner longer without the fuel mess.

Forum Member
    Trying to find the most relevant thread on Simulators since it seems has been covered in different places. For Wing specific flying and characteristics is there a good sim out there? Seems lots of good quad/FPV simulators being produced, but really need to hone my wing skills. Recommendations?

Thanks.

Forum Member
    If you want a really fun plane to start with ; look into the Gremlin flying wing. It was a wing with a square gutter piece for a fuselage. they still have a site and free stuff for copy/diy.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foodmagnet View Post
    Trying to find the most relevant thread on Simulators since it seems has been covered in different places. For Wing specific flying and characteristics is there a good sim out there? Seems lots of good quad/FPV simulators being produced, but really need to hone my wing skills. Recommendations?

Thanks.
    RealFlight is pretty much the leader in RC simulators, though just about any of them will allow you to get in the cockpit for an FPV perspective. That's easy though -- spend some time flying LOS, at some point you'll be glad you did when your video goes out.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    [COLOR="#ff8c00"][B][COLOR="#696969"]CO[/COLOR]FPV[COLOR="#4169e1"].com[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]

Forum Member
    How hard to fly a fixed wing?
    Easy.
    Always wondered why so few seem to use them.
    [I]“Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness.”
    [I]- [/I]Alejandro Jodorowsky

[/I]Last edited by doobie; 15th August 2016 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelt titties wrong

Forum Member
    Flying multi-copters is nothing, the flight controller does all the hard work for you, so in practice you are really not doing much flying at all, and personally I find it really bad, from a learning perspective.

Flying an RC airplane or even a helicopter takes time and lots of hours of practicing and crashing. Personally, if you want to be a good pilot, you should also try to learn to fly an airplane too.

Flying an airplane may not be easy at first, but with practice and commitment, you will be a good pilot in no time.
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else. - Albert Einstein

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    RealFlight is pretty much the leader in RC simulators, though just about any of them will allow you to get in the cockpit for an FPV perspective. That's easy though -- spend some time flying LOS, at some point you'll be glad you did when your video goes out.
    Thei sounds like fun!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678