Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New 680mm Alien Carbon Fiber Folding Quadcopter Frame Kit

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just for fun View Post
    40mins at 2.8kg is not going to happen on 10,000mah, but 30mins is possible.

Check out the Facebook book link earlier is this thread, it is about as much Alien 680 info as you can get. Several builds that are well documented there.

By the way, I run 10x5's on my disco and love them, great prop for that frame.

Hmm thanks. Wow really? I heard that 10x5 will cause a lot of amp output causing over heating in the motor.

Forum Member
    TBS uses 10x5 and 9x5's, 9x5 with the 900 and 1000kv motors, most locked in feel and 10x5 for 750kv motors they sell and is the best endurance combo.

I have tried both and the 10x5 are my blade of choice for the 750kv motors I run.

I am also running 15x5.5's on my Alien 680 and like them.

Forum Member
    Any chance of this carrying a nex5 + gimbal on the front with props out of view?

Forum Member
    A 680 will lift a NEX just fine...

FOV and how far the Gimbal hangs down will determine wether the props will be in view.

Forum Member
    Was hoping ot build it inline with the frame with a 2 axis gimbal... something like the quarternium or mantix frames. Without the "dead cat" set up it may not be doable. any thoughts?

Forum Member
    I was initially looking to build a TBS disco but I want a folding carbon fiber frame. I see everyone is running 14"-16" props on this frame which makes me worried that they will appear in any video if the camera is mounted on the front. So, would I be able to run 900kV motors with 10x5 eprops?

Forum Member
    12in props is about as small as I think I would go on this frame.

i am using a 2axis gimbal with a gopro plus 15in props and yes they show at the top of the frame. I have though about lowering the gimbal down as there is plenty of room to move down.

Otherwise, there is a variant of this frame that has the front arms set closer to 90 degrees which would be a better starting point for a prop free view than the standard 680.

Forum Member
    I run the 680, and I have a IR Camera pointed straight down, near the front, and I have a 3 Axiz gimbal with a GoPro and of course if you run stock landing skid type gear you will get landing gear in the frame and if you try to mount the GoPro like you would on a 250 quad you'll also get props in the frame. I run 15" x 5.5 CF Props and retractable landing gear I pioneered for the 680mm Alien over a year ago and have neither in my video no matter which way I point my camera gear. I run a 10,000 mAh 4S battery, MT3508-20 580kv motors and get easily 23 min of flight time. I have a AUW of slightly less than 3.0kg and unless there's quite a bit of wind to manage, that time is a usual flight for me. There are several members on the favebook group, Alien Multirotors Builders Group that fly DSLR cameras on large gimbals and use 6S power with appropriate motors. Several use the 680mm for agricultural purposes in survey and many fly PixHawk or NAZA V2 or Vector flight controllers. Lots of variations in the group and I am the Admin there. If anyone would like to join and have access to all the info we have there for our members, just drop in a ask to join, it is a closely controlled group and I will be most happy to share our wealth of info on the ALien 680mm (and other sizes as well) Multirotor. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1548921448673854/
    Last edited by cdennyb; 25th May 2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: tried to add pic but couldn't

Forum Member
    Thanks guys. I requested to join your group on FB, cdennyb. I ended up finding the HK Alien 560 frame which I think will be better for what I want. I don't need something as large as the 680 anyway and the 560 is about half the price. I plan on running 11" or 12" props on it but I have to figure out which motors to buy.

Forum Member
    The Alien560 is cheap for a reason. My neighbor bought the frame kit and we met up for coffee to compare the carbon plates's dimension by laying them side by side. Their width turned out to be almost the same, with the alien 680's having a longer length.
    Then we realized how flexible the hking560 carbon plate was. I mean, the 680 carbon was super-solid and it took a while to drill a hole thru it (for mounting a gimbal)with my high speed rotary tool. Drilling a hole in the hking560 plate was too easy! I was skeptical whether it was even real carbon sheet.

I have 2 aliens now, one 680 and one 450. Both are having solid carbon material, unlike the hking560.
    Here's a video showing them besides another interesting folding frame, the butterfly 480.