Click Here To Visit REALFpv!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ads 465q official extended arm video thread

O I'll have plenty of video's once I get my 1100kv motors and the damn snow melts. Makes judging altitude.. sketchy.

Had a complete clean frame separation yesterday.. little CA on the bobbins, good as new.
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.

I'm looking to see some video's too. It was a big let down to see jello in my video's on this new frame. I had high hopes and only later read that the flat arms tend to show more jello. I have tried every solution except a real ND filter and still have jello. I'm using a Mobius cam. Could have bought a $40 frame and had the same jello. Waiting to see some consistent jello free solutions

What props are you guys using? The main reason 400Q was designed for 8" props is because all 9" props I can find are terrible quality. So I produced longer arms by popular demand, for those that want to use crappy props, and you get jello? It's not a surprise. The frame is separated and isolated, post pictures of your build. Your camera has to be firmly attached to the frame. If you are using a Mobius, it doesn't weigh enough to work as part of the dampening system. Make it heavier with lead or hot glue.

You may want to check out Spanky for mobius footage. The 400Q is for Hero3 cameras. Every component is an integral part of the vibration dampening solution. You can buy a QAV and you will still get the same results with a Mobius. Changing things like mass have consequences.
    Last edited by chatch; 4th March 2014 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

I have tried Graupner,Gemfans CF,HK props,APC, and some no names from ebay all balanced with no luck. Had hoped the weight of my shitty gimbal would help with this Mobius. I will try with my friends GoPro today and see what the results are. Check out Spanky? PASS I like my 400Q, just need to work out the damn jello. Besides I'm too far into this thing financially now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	42425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Q4.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	42426  

Quote Originally Posted by airwolf View Post
    I have tried Graupner,Gemfans CF,HK props,APC, and some no names from ebay all balanced with no luck. Had hoped the weight of my shitty gimbal would help with this Mobius. I will try with my friends GoPro today and see what the results are. Check out Spanky? PASS I like my 400Q, just need to work out the damn jello. Besides I'm too far into this thing financially now
    Try hard mounting your mobius... removing the gimbal. The reason that I suggest this is that no matter how much vibration isolation you have between the frame and the camera... a servo driven gimbal is subject to backlash in the gears. Backlash is essentially undamped motion due to tolerances in the gears, you can feel this by grabbing a servo horn and twisting it in both rotational directions the amount of rotation you get without making the motor spin is backlash.

If you are hard pressed to keep the servo gimbal then you can try a forced load to ensure that the gears are always hard up in one direction. This is best accomplished with a rubberband that tensions the servo in one rotation direction. You will have to experiment a little with this to get the right rubberband force, you want enough to remove the backlash but not so much as to always have the servo in a loaded state.

PS... I have both this frame and Spanky, since I built Spanky I have not even looked at this frame. The biggest reasons are cost, motors cost less, props cost less, escs cost less... this really helps to eliminate the pucker factor and let you do things that you wouldn't do with your bigger gear.
    Last edited by Derrick; 4th March 2014 at 01:28 PM.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Thanks Derrick, I agree with you on the servo gimbal, I don't even use the gimbal, just tested it to see if the weight would help. I have tried hard mounting,moongel,earplugs,every kind of foam I could find,silicone tube, and Velcro with no success. This frame flies nice...its just no use to me with jello. Spanky is too small for me so I need to get this worked out. If a GoPro does it then I'll get one but not putting more money into this jello issue unless it is proven to work. I will test with a friends GoPro later today.

As Chatch said vibrations are all about mass, increasing or decreasing mass is the best way to alter the natural frequency of the system. As an aside mobius cameras seem to be very sensitive to vibrations, more so than GoPro or other name brand action cameras. I hope you get it sorted. I don't have much flight time on my 465 due to power distribution/video issues... It will be back on the bench soon to get these sorted though, just have a couple other topics that I need to finish first.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

i never had a mobius but i`m with everyone else here on this .it may in fact be the mobius itself .we all know what to expect from a gopro. the mobius may in fact be less tolerant to vibration then a gopro .
    the second post in this thread has a gopro with extended arm frame and it looks pretty darn good to my eye .i am on the fence myself about switching because of the lack of good clean jello free videos to view with the extended arm setup .
    my biggest issue with the small gaui arm setup is the jerkiness in the video you get from such a short arm . i could try some expo i guess as i really dont run any in the transmitter and only about 30 in the multiwii setup .

ps- i have the original black bobbins which work good since day 1 . my gopro is currently hard mounted with a flat mount .no jello .
    i crashed my quad oh my god!!

Quote Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
    the mobius may in fact be less tolerant to vibration then a gopro .
    If you lighten things up you are not going to make things less tolerant to vibration. As chatch has stated, you need mass/weight on the clean frame to dampen the vibrations. That's just physics.

my biggest issue with the small gaui arm setup is the jerkiness in the video you get from such a short arm
    Small arms are not the reason for jerky video. Anything MidwestRob or juz70 have done (using a QAV400) are a testament to that.
    -Chris
    www.youtube.com/user/criccio

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    If it all ends badly this time, I'm quitting FPV and RC and taking up golf.

My goal is to help you eliminate the jello however you use the frame. I will post some tips later tonight. The biggest tip i can give is to not be afraid of a few grams of added weight - adding smashed lead weights in key locations helps to eliminate all vibrations from resonating throughout the frame. It is not needed in standard scenarios(non-gimbal hero3 for example) but for a servo-driven mobius gimbal it can be complicated, as there are many more variables introduced into the system.

The jello you see could just be from wind in forward flight. Is it still present in a stationary hover?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.