FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do we flash ESCs?

Navigator

Why do we flash ESCs?

Greetings to all. I'm a new member here, but have been in the R/C hobby since 1982. Yes, I suspect that I am older than most of you. I have been resistant to the integration of electric power into our hobby until now.

I am getting into UAS systems now and electric is the only way to go. I have a pretty steep learning curve ahead of me, but I'm counting on lots of help from people on forums.

I have been reading about flashing ESCs, but I don't understand "why" we should do it. Also the process seems rather lengthy as well.

I am using 6 Hobbywing 30amp opto Platinum Pro ESCs for my hexacopter project build. Do they need to be flashed?

Are the benefits really that good? Aren't modern ESCs already programmed to be the best they should be?

Thanks for your patience and responses.

Hi Bluemarble, Most newer esc's are programmed to be a 'generic' esc... so they can work on planes, multi's, etc... so there is a lot of extra programming in them and some of that programming is universal like the response loops so it isn't optimum for the fast responses needed for multi's, basically if you flash them or buy pre-flashed for multirotors they are only good to use in multi's but they will work noticeably better as they are using more of the available processing power in the hardware.

I've never done it, been in the hobby since the late 70's as a teenager

They say it makes response time faster but I guess you'd have to be flying fast to notice that.
    I normally fly the aircraft as it is and make it work, and it works for me using generic programming but some people like faster response times.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Cause they like it when we show em our boobies... :-D

Winner Winner!
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Penguin flyerDisco buildr mike20sm's Avatar

Navigator
    I flash because I can't stand that high pitched noise they make when they aren't flashed with SimonK.

You flash them to get faster response time. What does this mean? Basically it means the multi flies much smoother. Rather than making adjustments ten times a second it can do so a thousand times a second. This is particularly important if you're doing anything a bit more than standard hovering/flying. For instance: if you lower your throttle and start a quick descend, your flight controller needs to make a lot of adjustments very quickly. If the ESC doesn't update a lot of times per second it constantly over corrects, which generates very annoying oscillations and doesn't make for smooth flying in general.

You can fly without flashed ESC's, but if you take flashed ESC's you'll notice the difference
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    I've never done it, been in the hobby since the late 70's as a teenager

They say it makes response time faster but I guess you'd have to be flying fast to notice that.
    I normally fly the aircraft as it is and make it work, and it works for me using generic programming but some people like faster response times.
    They Say?

We'll Ive been in the hobby since the late 2013s in other words not all that long. And when I was just learning to fly I flashed my first set of ESCs with SimonK firmware, and for me it made the difference from a wobbly uncontrollable Quad to smooth an stable easy to control quad, it also made the difference that I was able to increase the PID values dramatically without inducing oscillations. Now at the time I was only learning to hover and control a Quad I was in no way flying fast.

It may vary depending if you bought ESCs designed for a quad or general purpose ESCs which will benefit most having SK firmware. I have had ESCs that flew fine without flashing and I have had other ESCs that I could barely fly without flashing.

@Bluemarble, often you can buy ESCs standard or pre-flashed for a couple extra bucks. Or you can do it yourself. The process is not lengthy after you have the flashing tool and have done it a few times, you'll find the process only takes a few seconds per ESC.

I fly turnigy plush, the only wobble I get is in GPS mode on fast descent but I've learned to overcome that by going to ATT or manual mode - problem resolved.

For some people it's great, and I'm sure I'd love them if I tried them. I've just never had the need. I don't fly fast, I fly slow for smooth video or hover.

KF7TRX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast