Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skylark Tiny OSD III Not Working

Navigator
    It looks like a lot off people are bricking there osd by updating the firmware

@Pushjerk
    I could not get my OSD to work on my own.
    Skylark asked that I send it to them so they could look at it. It left Los Angeles Feb 27, I am just waiting to hear from Skylark to see if it can be fixed.
    I will update when I get more information.

Navigator
    got kind of the same problem, mine was working on firmware 2.8, sometime i would loose the data but not display, i went in and decie to upload the new 2.9 firmware, software tells me it did succeed then i get turning to application under the succeed and then no light on the osd. Dosnt matter if its connected true usb, a 5v power source or a receiver the light stay of since the update is suceed.

Navigator
    thats not good
    you are number .......join the bricked osd club

i was Lucky I think mine is running fine with 2.9 much better for multirotor
    I have sometimes also troubles with the data the problem is in the GPS not osd
    good luck sending it back to skylark
    its better they remove the firmware from internet

Navigator
    I've bought two brand-new Skylark products (Tiny and Trace IV) in the last 2 months, both were cr*p. The Tiny would drop video in-flight, never had an issue bench testing, even running all the servos, motor, etc. Found a thread on here saying the Tiny is SUPER sensitive to the V it gets, if it varies just a bit, it'll brown out. Returned it and got a Trace IV, figuring, "OK, it's got a current sensor/converter built-in," we'll eliminate those issues. First time I hooked everything up on the bench, "bzzzzztPOOF." I've been FPVing for well over a year, multiple planes/quads, never had these issues with competitors (EZOSD, EagleTree). Just sayin'....

I just wanted to post an update, I received my Tiny OSD back from Skylark today and it works!

Good to hear, skylark will help you even if you don't buy from them.

Skylark Tiny OSD III Not Working

In case anyone was interested, I found out it is relatively easy to remove the connectors on the tiny osd current sensor.

I am now using the current sensor inline without those pesky connectors causing additional length and stiffness on my Discovery.

Use a 120w chisel tip to remove them as you need a lot of heat fast and your average 49-50w iron will not do the job.

Last edited by Nightram; 8th June 2014 at 08:59 PM.

Navigator
    Go figure... I'm developing a cruise rocket with FPV controls (UAV style: stick & rudder) and it's been flying using a Remzibi, which has no barometer. Needless to say with the speeds of HPR GPS altitude is quite worthless. I'm dying for a barometer in there. So I buy a Skylark Tiny III and I receive it today. I normally take the habit of using a new OSD especially when I'm not familiar - months before it goes into the planned aircraft. I plug it in VIA USB and I actually got a heads up the software needs to run in XP compatibility mode, so I did that when I installed their software.

Here's the problem... and why they get so many bricked OSD's... this software is junk. Pure unadulterated junk. Even the community built Remzibi software beats this by a longshot. That little program starts updating the firmware, and then the thread hangs but somehow it detects everything went well and tries to reconnect right away, gets in the way of the update thread and boom. First firmware update, zero uses, and I ladies and gentlemen have added another brick in the Skylark wall. If they don't cater to their software eventually this will simply keep happening. I deal with a lot of firmware updates and have learned to trust the update procedures when done properly. Never bricked anything once in my life. This is really one piece of junkware we have right here. I noticed everything had gone wrong too late, as the program gave a "Firmware update successful" I began moving to changing the config. It wouldn't update. I noticed the program eating 20% CPU, which clearly means the firmware update thread did NOT succeed as the software hallucinated.

What blows here is it actually seems like a really good OSD and dangit it has a baro. So, rule of thumb... do not update these things; curse not the item, but its deficient software cousin instead. Live with what you got. Wanna try? From the likes of it across forums you've got a good 15% chance to brick each time. Cross your fingers and knock on wood? No thanks, not at 100$ a pop. You do it, I'll pass! lol

If anyone's curious about the customer bird for this little OSD, here she is (well, an upcoming new model of these prototypes)
    Last edited by budwheizzah; 11th June 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Please also check out the forum for skylark and vote for me to help rewrite the manuals.

As per my rewritten manual (in my signature) you use a usb to uart driver from 2008 for it to work with no compatibility problems on win 8-8.1.

If it is genuinely bricked, skylark has been known to send direct replacements.