FPVLAB

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran Brings Down U.S Drone

Iran Brings Down U.S Drone

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/is...195224233.html

The United States on Sunday appeared to give credence to Iranian state media reports that Iran had brought down an unmanned U.S. surveillance drone.

The American-led International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) in Afghanistan issued a brief statement Sunday saying that an unarmed U.S. reconnaissance aircraft had gone missing while on a mission in western Afghanistan last week.

"The UAV [unmanned aerial vehicle] to which the Iranians are referring may be a U.S. unarmed reconnaissance aircraft that had been flying a mission over western Afghanistan last week," the ISAF public affairs office said in the statement sent to Yahoo News and other media outlets Sunday, in response to queries on the Iranian reports. "The operators of the UAV lost control of the aircraft and had been working to determine its status."

The semi-official Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported Sunday that Iran's armed forces had brought down a U.S. spy drone in the east of the country.
    Citing an "informed military official" the IRNA report "noted that the unmanned craft is of the type 'RQ170,' which was slightly damaged [and] is currently in the hands of the Iranian forces."

While the IRNA headline described the U.S. spy drone as having been "shot down," an Iranian military official quoted on Iranian state television claimed that an Iranian military cyber-warfare unit "managed to take over controls of the drone and bring it down," the Washington Post's Thomas Erdbrink noted. That latter account would seem to be more in line with the description given by ISAF of the spy drone operators having "lost control" of it in western Afghanistan last week.

The United States Air Force acknowledged in October that a computer virus had infected the computer system at Creech Air Force base in Nevada that is used to remotely operate Predator and Reaper drones. However, the Air Force described that infection as a mere "nuisance," that had not interfered with the ability to operate or fly the drones.

But there have been other reported incidents that have highlighted vulnerabilities in the security of U.S. drone information systems, most notably in Iraq in 2009. "An Iraqi insurgent hacked into a [U.S. drone] down-link," which is not usually encrypted, cyber security expert James Lewis, a former Reagan administration official with the Center for Strategic and Institutional Studies, told Yahoo News last month.
    "Militants in Iraq have used $26 off-the-shelf software to intercept live video feeds from U.S. Predator drones, potentially providing them with information they need to evade or monitor U.S. military operations," the Wall Street Journal's Siobhan Gorman, Yochi Dreazen and August Cole reported in December 2009.

"Senior defense and intelligence officials said Iranian-backed insurgents intercepted the video feeds by taking advantage of an unprotected communications link in some of the remotely flown planes' systems," the Journal report said. "Shiite fighters in Iraq used software programs such as SkyGrabber -- available for as little as $25.95 on the Internet -- to regularly capture drone video feeds, according to a person familiar with reports on the matter."

The unarmed stealth drone Iran claims to have brought down, the RQ-170 Sentinel, is manufactured by Lockheed Martin's Advanced Development Program, based in Palmdale, California.

Until 2009, the U.S. Air Force would say little about the model, despite reported sightings of it on the tarmac at Kandahar International Airport, Afghanistan since 2007. A December 2009 photo of the RQ-170 posted on aviation websites, however, prompted the Air Force to at least acknowledge the plane's existence, Military Times' Michael Hoffman reported in 2009:

"For two years, the RQ-170 has been the Air Force's Bigfoot," Hoffman wrote. "Photos and drawings of the stealthy UAV, also called the 'Beast of Kandahar,' have surfaced, producing shrugs and no-comments from service officials. In early December, a clear photograph of the jet's left side appeared on aviation Web sites, perhaps prompting the Air Force to 'fess up."

However, Air Force officials have not explained what the stealth aircraft is doing in Afghanistan given the fact the Taliban has no air force or radar, Hoffman noted.
    "Experts such as Phil Finnegan, a UAV analyst at the Teal Group, an aerospace consulting firm, suggest the stealth capabilities are being used to fly in nearby countries," Hoffman wrote. "Neighboring Iran has an air force and air defense system that would require stealth technology to penetrate."

The RQ-170 was also reportedly involved in U.S. surveillance involved with the U.S. raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan last May.
    The RQ-170 reportedly does not use the most sophisticated U.S. military technology because as a single engine UAV, it was judged to have a higher likelihood of occasionally going down.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    IMHO, if we are going to try to put some distance between the words "drone" and "uav", and our beloved harmless hobby, it's probably not a good idea to keep posting these articles here, since it is crawled by search engine spiders and will develop relevance between the (quite different) terms. It's your forum and your prerogative, but that's just my $0.02.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

There are lots of people who prefer the word "drone" on here. I am not going to be able to convince them otherwise by myself. This article is INDEED referencing what I call a "drone". I'm not sure why FPV pilots continue to call their planes drones though. "Toys" is more fitting for what we do.

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    Yeah I know, even my parents, and other people who don't know much about what I do, refer to my planes as drones or uavs, and I have to correct them. When I talk about it I just say RC planes with wireless cameras, I don't even say 'fpv', since they don't know what that stands for anyway. I sound like a dork regardless
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    There are lots of people who prefer the word "drone" on here. I am not going to be able to convince them otherwise by myself. This article is INDEED referencing what I call a "drone". I'm not sure why FPV pilots continue to call their planes drones though. "Toys" is more fitting for what we do.
    Too right, it always meake me laugh when you get some blowhard telling you his $2000 lump of foam/helicopter/whatever isn't a "toy". Of course it is, it's a cool toy, but a toy all the same. It's not something to be ashamed of!

Navigator
    Maybe we shouldn't call them drones or UAV's.. but the govt does...

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't call them drones or UAV's.. but the govt does...

Myron
    And they will write legislation using that nomenclature. If we say that we fly drones, then we are saying that we agree with them - and also agree w/ the legislation as well. I'd rather not. I do not fly drones and I do not want to.

This is a pretty scary story. Of course the US Air Force's story of it being "lost" last week is total BS, they've been spying on Iran for years. I've seen many different reports. Most say Iran "brought" the UAV down. Iran says their cyber-warfare unit took over control of the plane and landed it. And only a very select few are reporting that it was "shot" down.

If it is true that Iran hijacked the UAV by it's own controls, well that would be incredible.

BTW, our planes are totally drones and UAVs, that's what the words mean... pilot-less aircraft. We have only our trigger happy military to blame for the negative connotations of that word.

Oh our planes meet another definition of "drone:"
    "1. To make a continuous low dull humming sound"

Navigator
    On a slightly different note... that wing looks just like the Horten/Gotha GO229... Its cool to see the "nurflugel" becoming so mainstream now in the military and with the FPV hobby...

Myron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GO2291.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	4911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GO229.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	4912
    Last edited by Myron; 5th December 2011 at 10:53 AM.

The smart companies (unlike Parrot an their A.R Drone) know better than to put the word DRONE on any packaging related to an RC airplane TOY. "GET THE NEW HOBBYZONE CHAMP DRONE FOR YOUR 7 YEAR OLD TODAY!!" GAY. The gov wants to make that word global - so that everyone knows what it means - and so that when little Bobby crashes his FPV UM Stryker into the neighbors yard the local news can say DRONE CRASH LANDS IN NEIGHBORHOOD. Then some FAA spokesman can go on the news and make the FAA look like heros for being able to slap federal/state charges/fines/citatations on the kid while bragging about the years they took to get legislation in place for "DRONES". You guys can fly "drones" all you want.

I fly RC airplanes remotely - which REMOTELY controlling RC airplanes has been done since the control-line days. There is nothing to see here - move it along.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast