FPVLAB

Page 3 of 371 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

Navigator
    I have a Caipi wing with the stock power setup and that thing is tough to launch because it's so underpowered (also to make for longer flight times). What I did was add the Guardian. I launch with it in 2D mode and now I can launch it in my sleep. Once airborne I disable it so it doesn't interfere with my flying unless I want to just fly straight and level and enjoy the scenery. I will probably add one to the Chimera as well so I can get away with the smallest power setup and maximize distance.
    Weird.. I have a stock powered Caipi and I find it the easiest of all my planes to launch. I launch it Frisbee style and it feels as easy as throwing a Frisbee This is with stock power, stock prop,stock battery and a go pro 1 onboard. I'm curious as to how are you launching yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjah View Post
    Weird.. I have a stock powered Caipi and I find it the easiest of all my planes to launch. I launch it Frisbee style and it feels as easy as throwing a Frisbee This is with stock power, stock prop,stock battery and a go pro 1 onboard. I'm curious as to how are you launching yours?

Apparently very badly. lol. It's easy for me to launch now anyway haha.

Seriously, I'm not the only one, the Caipi thread is loaded with people who have troubles similar to mine. I have a hard time throwing it hard enough and straight enough to keep it above stall speed for the first 3-5 seconds and it's very easy to tip stall during that phase. I'm not a very good pilot anyway, at least as not as good as I'd like to be. Life gets in the way of me flying as much as I'd like to. When I retire if I stay healthy I hope to get very good because I'll be able to be out there more than not.

Navigator
    Hold it on the leading edge by the winglet and prepare to throw like Frisbee. At the peak of the back swing, give full throttle at the same and launch at around 45 degrees. No need to wait to you retire to master it or use some workaround with a stabiliser. It's dead easy. I imagine the chimera could be launched in a similar manner as this is how I launch all my wings. QUOTE=billyd;443295]Apparently very badly. lol. It's easy for me to launch now anyway haha.

Seriously, I'm not the only one, the Caipi thread is loaded with people who have troubles similar to mine. I have a hard time throwing it hard enough and straight enough to keep it above stall speed for the first 3-5 seconds and it's very easy to tip stall during that phase. I'm not a very good pilot anyway, at least as not as good as I'd like to be. Life gets in the way of me flying as much as I'd like to. When I retire if I stay healthy I hope to get very good because I'll be able to be out there more than not.[/QUOTE]

Edit never mind see they are square in your video too. No bevel.

Alex, my kit arrived today. I have a question about the elevons. The instructions say they have a bevel. Mine are just rectangular with straight vertical edges all around. Is this a typo or do I have elevons that are missing a machining operation?

ps Benjah thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by billyd; 19th February 2014 at 08:17 PM.

The bevel is in the foam

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Edit never mind see they are square in your video too. No bevel.

Alex, my kit arrived today. I have a question about the elevons. The instructions say they have a bevel. Mine are just rectangular with straight vertical edges all around. Is this a typo or do I have elevons that are missing a machining operation?

ps Benjah thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by gobigdale View Post
    The bevel is in the foam

That's what I get for reading the instructions.

ps Did everyone's kit comes kind of jumbled up with everything thrown in a box? My laminate was basically wadded up, in two pieces, instead of a roll taped close, so it's wrinkled and I wonder how effective the glue will be now. Also I have this strange web like stuff (clear and hard like old glue) in certain places on the foam. Is this melted foam from the cutting? I have a feeling like I got a returned kit that was partially assembled. The foam also has black stuff rubbed off from the elevons. Kind of irritated by this. Not that the foam plane was ever going to look stunning, but I do like the plane to not look like it was in someone's basement for 6 years before I even receive it.

Do you have pictures of it?

Quote Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
    Do you have pictures of it?

I can take them tonight.

That is the way Alex is packing them all. He packs each one himself. I will have a conversation with him about how it is being done.

The wrinkles will iron out and the laminate will adhere to the foam just fine. I would not worry too much about it. But That is a point I will bring up to him so we can fix that when the kits are packed.

The "webbing" is pull melt from the CNC hot wire. Just pull it off it won't hurt anything.

The black stuff is from the laser cutting of the elevons. It should wipe right off with a damp paper towel.
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave
    Who sliced open that tauntaun?
    Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MASHTON1138 View Post
    That is the way Alex is packing them all. He packs each one himself. I will have a conversation with him about how it is being done.

The wrinkles will iron out and the laminate will adhere to the foam just fine. I would not worry too much about it. But That is a point I will bring up to him so we can fix that when the kits are packed.

The "webbing" is pull melt from the CNC hot wire. Just pull it off it won't hurt anything.

The black stuff is from the laser cutting of the elevons. It should wipe right off with a damp paper towel.

Ok thanks. Yeah I wasn't planning on returning it but I thought I should bring up the packaging needs to be improved. My foam has some damage from stuff shifting around. Again not the end of the world and easily fixed. But you shouldn't ship stuff that can get damaged like that.

I would suggest taping the heavy hard stuff in place, rolling up the laminate and taping it closed, and putting the foam in plastic bags. Shouldn't be a huge problem and that will take care of 99.9% of issues.

Page 3 of 371 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast