FPVLAB

Page 2 of 371 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Ok thanks. Please make that difference more clear in the write up at ReadymadeRc so others don't miss out.
    Fixed! Thanks.

Navigator
    Can you put those centre fins up as well as the control horn and linkage as a separate purchase please as soon as possible.

M

Yes we will get them to RMRC and other vendors ASAP but we have to cut them so it will be a few days.

The control horns and linkages are DuBro and can already be purchased at RMRC if you need them.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave
    Who sliced open that tauntaun?
    Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

Props on the full wood control surfaces & dubro hardware!

Thanks, we have actually had some negative feedback on the Plywood Elevons from some who got prototype kits. Some people are asking for lighter material, ie balsa and a few even said they'd prefer coroplast not sure why.
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave
    Who sliced open that tauntaun?
    Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

Quote Originally Posted by MASHTON1138 View Post
    Yes we will get them to RMRC and other vendors ASAP but we have to cut them so it will be a few days.

The control horns and linkages are DuBro and can already be purchased at RMRC if you need them.

Marc

Wow that's great news much appreciate the quick service on this. I will keep my eye on RMRC for when they get them into stock.
    Last edited by billyd; 19th March 2014 at 11:12 AM.

I'm going with the AXI 2814/12 and a 10x5 prop.
    Last edited by billyd; 19th March 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Thank you for stating the motor size as power required! This needs to be done by more manufactures of models.

ps 1kg = 2.2lbs (hint: 2kg = 4.4lbs )
    I'm finding that 400Watts is the bare minimum to get the plane airborne. It is plenty to get it over 70 mph, but launches get tricky with that power. 600Watts is definitely excessive for flight, but is great for an easy take-off. A few people have gone over 1kW on this and reduced the power shortly after. I'm not sure why they did this. Probably just to increase flight time if I had to guess. The airframe can handle 1kW easily but it's like putting a V-12 in a compact car. The frame just cannot use that much power.

The problem I'm running into with the wood elevons is that they're warping while setting around. Once they're on the plane and covered they stay straight, but for some reason they are warping slightly while being left in the boxes. This just means a bit of trim on the plane, but it still irritates me that it is happening. The reason I'm using aircraft plywood is because people tend to mount servos to the inside of the wing rather than the center of the surface. This can cause high speed flutter. So in order to ensure there is no issue with flutter at high speed, I chose a stiff material.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billyd View Post
    Wow that's great news much appreciate the quick service on this. I will keep my eye on RMRC for when they get them into stock.

I can't see how plywood elevons could alter the weight of the wing enough to notice, considering we're piling fpv gear and huge batteries to get tons of flight time. Waaah my elevons increased my stall speed by 1km/hr lol. wtf.
    The solid wood does wonders for control. It is how I'm able to fly so low so smoothly at high speed. The plane is actually a little bit light and thus it glides forever. It is a real pain to land in a short field.

As for the stabilizers - They're really for HD video to minimize wag issues. When flying most pilots will find that the stabilizers cause the plane to track on edge instead of dropping the nose. The nose drop allows you to keep orientation on the plane easier when flying FPV. I run both because I have a pan camera and tend to look over my own wing frequently.

I programmed the stabilizers into the laser cutter this morning. Originally they were hot wire cut, but it took 3 hours to cut a set (no I'm not kidding) and ended up making a mess of my hotwire. Trying to go from Sketch-up (where they were designed) to AutoCAD and then to COREL Draw was a chore. However they now take about 4 minutes to cut a pair instead of 3 hours.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I'm finding that 400Watts is the bare minimum to get the plane airborne. It is plenty to get it over 70 mph, but launches get tricky with that power. 600Watts is definitely excessive for flight, but is great for an easy take-off. A few people have gone over 1kW on this and reduced the power shortly after. I'm not sure why they did this. Probably just to increase flight time if I had to guess. The airframe can handle 1kW easily but it's like putting a V-12 in a compact car. The frame just cannot use that much power.

The problem I'm running into with the wood elevons is that they're warping while setting around. Once they're on the plane and covered they stay straight, but for some reason they are warping slightly while being left in the boxes. This just means a bit of trim on the plane, but it still irritates me that it is happening. The reason I'm using aircraft plywood is because people tend to mount servos to the inside of the wing rather than the center of the surface. This can cause high speed flutter. So in order to ensure there is no issue with flutter at high speed, I chose a stiff material.

-Alex

I have a Caipi wing with the stock power setup and that thing is tough to launch because it's so underpowered (also to make for longer flight times). What I did was add the Guardian. I launch with it in 2D mode and now I can launch it in my sleep. Once airborne I disable it so it doesn't interfere with my flying unless I want to just fly straight and level and enjoy the scenery. I will probably add one to the Chimera as well so I can get away with the smallest power setup and maximize distance.

Page 2 of 371 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast