FPVLAB

Page 308 of 371 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318358 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3704

Thread: IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

Sorry bout that Hoss. Weird Double post. Laptop's acting up. Thanks tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
    Sorry bout that Hoss. Weird Double post. Laptop's acting up. Thanks tho!
    Haha, no, I answered about a completely different plane at first, lol. But for the Chimera, just about any paint works well. I've personally used regular rustoleum with great results as well as 2x. The 2x just covers better, but it's nothing another coat of the regular stuff can't handle.

IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

So my Chimera V2 is having absolutely horrible pitch bouncing and I'm running out of ideas for how to fix it. CG is at 9.75", I've eliminated pretty much all slop from my control linkages, and I don't have huge amounts of reflex. Thrust angle is a little high but it's what's normal for the folded plastic motor mount.

But every time I fly, no matter how much or little wind, no matter whether the motor is on or off, or whether my Vector stabilization is turned on or off, the nose is pretty much constantly bouncing up and down in little spasms. It's making it impossible to get stable video. My first Chimera had a similar problem but my second one didn't. Now my third is doing it again. Any ideas for how to solve this?

Moving the CG further forward hasn't helped at all and I already have four ounces of lead weights on the nose. I almost wonder if I should try it further back like 10 or 10.5 and see if that helps. Maybe adjusting the thrust angle further down would help when the motor is on, but it bounces almost as bad with the motor off. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by prelator; 29th May 2016 at 08:01 PM.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Mine is also bouncing a bit. No slop at all, on control surfaces. Cg on maiden was 9.85. I have since moved cg to exactly 9.75.

It was moderately windy. All flying in manual.
    Last edited by Håvard Støre; 29th May 2016 at 08:15 PM.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    So my Chimera V2 is having absolutely horrible pitch bouncing and I'm running out of ideas for how to fix it. CG is at 9.75", I've eliminated pretty much all slop from my control linkages, and I don't have huge amounts of reflex. Thrust angle is a little high but it's what's normal for the folded plastic motor mount.

But every time I fly, no matter how much or little wind, no matter whether the motor is on or off, or whether my Vector stabilization is turned on or off, the nose is pretty much constantly bouncing up and down in little spasms. It's making it impossible to get stable video. My first Chimera had a similar problem but my second one didn't. Now my third is doing it again. Any ideas for how to solve this?

Moving the CG further forward hasn't helped at all and I already have four ounces of lead weights on the nose. I almost wonder if I should try it further back like 10 or 10.5 and see if that helps. Maybe adjusting the thrust angle further down would help when the motor is on, but it bounces almost as bad with the motor off. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try this: Go into an off power dive from high altitude with stabilization off. Aim straight down and keep the wings level but let the plane level itself out (no elevator input). Let the plane go until it drops the nose again. If it oscillates only at high speed when it is coming out of the dive, then the glue on the spars did not cure properly and the airframe is flexing. If it oscillates entering the dive or the whole time through the maneuver, you have a loose control surface or a servo is dead.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

So I am finishing up my Chimera build. I setup my Vector fc and when testing I have no response in left servo. I have the Vector set to a wing and have the TX setup. The Vector shows its connected to the TX. I've tried swapping servos and wires. I'm thinking it's the way i have the servos connected to the Vector. How does everyone else have theirs wired?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Your radio MUST NOT be set up as flying wing.
    Vector ports:
    1---None
    2---Right wing servo
    3---Left wing servo
    4---Throttle

Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    Your radio MUST NOT be set up as flying wing.
    Vector ports:
    1---None
    2---Right wing servo
    3---Left wing servo
    4---Throttle
    Yea i have it set to a regular airplane, no mixing or anything. I'm using a Dragon Link with my Spektrum DX7 and have the trainer set to slave. Thanks for the info, I will have to check my wiring when i get home tonight.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I made this video to show the nose bounce issues. All opinions are appreciated. The plane only weighs 2650g. Cg is precisely at 9 3/4. Reflex is around 6mm. To get the cg to where its at I used 130g of lead. I am considering to remove enough led to get the cg at 10.

About the build. .....Its very stiff and straight. Elevons are firm with no slop in linkages. The servos are Hitec HS225MG. I notice a very small amount of slop on these servos. Its very minute. maybe 0,3mm at the tip of the servo arm. Far less than on cheap servos, but more sloppy than my most expensive full size digital servos.

Anyways... All flying in manual. What do you guys think?

Navigator
    I have the same thing going on on my V2. Only mine is worse than Harvard's. I just made some changes to try and fix it but haven't flown it yet to test. I cleaned up the linkage slop. And I replaced/balanced the stone blue installed prop with an APC prop. Someone told me at the Stoneblue Flying Circus event that they had the same issue and cleared it by balancing the prop. I had Stoneblue build mine and I showed Jermiah AND Alex what it was doing in person at the event. Alex seemed to think the wing was flexing with not enough spars(?). And Jeremiah thought it flew normal with the breeze causing it. Jeremiah never balances the el cheapo fake APC props (Emax). And the one he put on this plane is so bad that it won't even balance. I guess with a really whacked out prop it could flex the wing and look bouncy...but I don't know. The plane seems to have all the great handling of the V1 so it's difficult to blame the new airfoil. But who knows. I have a V1 and it has never done that. The second set of clips is in some pretty clean air. I know if my V1 were in that air, my video would look like it was on a gimbal...well almost.

Last edited by jdjeff; 4th June 2016 at 11:04 PM.

Page 308 of 371 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318358 ... LastLast