FPVLAB

Page 307 of 371 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 3704

Thread: IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

I'm liking the folded poly mount so far. Just maidened my plane yesterday and the first launch was a lot easier than my previous plane with the 4 piece mount. In my experience the thrust angle isn't right on that one (motor pointed too far down so the plane always wanted to nose over on launch). The folded poly one points more up, so the thrust angle is much better. Plus I don't have to worry about the plate holding the motor constantly breaking off whenever I have a failed launch and a prop strike. I had to glue that back in so many times.

I hope you'll keep a single piece mount in the kit so people have an alternative to the ones that come apart so easily. From what I saw in the video, the mount with the foam block looks like it will have the same problem.

At any rate, I'm still getting my Chimera V2 dialed in, but I like it a lot already. This is probably the cleanest Chimera build I've done yet, and the lightest at only 5.5 lbs. Sadly it still ended up super tail heavy like all my wings do, so I had to put 4 ounces of weight in the nose to get it to balance at 9.75".

Last edited by prelator; 23rd May 2016 at 11:56 AM.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Glad to see improvements being made. The G10 plate was good (originals were cut by yours truly but I think maybe Alex had more made elsewhere). Occasionally the ABS side plates would break at the slots, but making the entire 4-piece mount from 1/8" G10 would be overkill and too heavy, so the switch to folded polycarbonate makes perfect sense... it can still be laser cut (with some caution) but its impact resistance is twice that of ABS. Or maybe he is CNC'ing it which would probably be the better choice.

P.S. you can fix thrust angle issues by putting washers between the motor and the mount on 2 of the 4 holes.
    Last edited by SecretSpy711; 23rd May 2016 at 04:59 PM.
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Right now I am including both the single part polycarbonate mount and the 4 part foam/pc system. I am no longer making the original mount. I think most people will like the 4 part foam/PC mount, but that remains to be seen.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

How much refleks should I have on my elevons, and how much throw (I like it soft)? Its a V2 with cg at 9 3/4.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Håvard Støre View Post
    How much refleks should I have on my elevons, and how much throw (I like it soft)? Its a V2 with cg at 9 3/4.
    1/8" (3mm) is a good starting point on the Chimera. Deflection should be ~3/8" in each direction. I'd use the top hole on the control horn and the outer most hole on the servo you are using. This is good for soft but responsive control.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    1/8" (3mm) is a good starting point on the Chimera. Deflection should be ~3/8" in each direction. I'd use the top hole on the control horn and the outer most hole on the servo you are using. This is good for soft but responsive control.

-Alex
    Thanks bro:-) I will maiden my Chimera in a couple of days if weather coencides with not working. Looking very much forward to flying the Chimera again.

Clouds were at 399' today.
    Get me a Crocodile sandwich. And make it snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_gx View Post
    Clouds were at 399' today.
    Awesome!

any chance regular Rustoleum will work? I have the color that I'd prefer but it's in regular Rustoleum. I have Rustoleum X2, just a different color.

Quote Originally Posted by Twawsi View Post
    any chance regular Rustoleum will work? I have the color that I'd prefer but it's in regular Rustoleum. I have Rustoleum X2, just a different color.
    Duh, wrong thread. Yes, it will work.

Page 307 of 371 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast