FPVLAB

Page 319 of 371 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329369 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 3709

Thread: IBCrazy's Chimera airplane

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Mywards View Post
    @Hoss:

You've helped enough people, including myself, with their Chimeras, etc., the least I could do was to give you my $0.02 on the goggles. Thanks by the way, never could have built mine properly without everyone's great advice in here.

Good luck and all the best on your vacation!
    Thanks dude - just saw this. Yet another thorn in the side in this regret I'm trying to escape! Lol, I appreciate the feedback and can't wait to try them at some point.

Does anyone have a V2 that has no bounce at all? I'd be interested to see what was done differently. Tonight I'm going to begin resurrecting the OG and I'm going to attempt to find some differences that might be causing it and subsequently even possibly a resolution if I can. I'm thinking it could even possibly be 2 different angles of attack trying to fight each other (mid wings / center section trying to cut one line and the wingtips trying to cut another).

Alex, aside from symmetrical-izing the wing, was any twist added / changed throughout? I wonder if simply sanding the bottoms of the wings to make them asymmetrical would do it. All in all, I barely notice it - usually only by studying playback and looking for it. Still a blasty blast to fly and fun to rip around fast. I am rather excited to pull the old girl off the wall tonight though... She'll be excited too. That plane has been through and taught me more than all other airframes combined.

Its so awesome to fly, so I refuse to give up on it yet. I second Hoss, that I barely notice it when flying. About the bounce.... If my new elevons won't fix it I will try vortex generators on different parts of the wing and center section to hopefully pinpoint where the problem area is. I only want to do a single change between each flight, so that I know what causes what. Unfortunately work and bad weather seems to work against me.

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    Here is a list of all of the changes I made to the airframe:

Airfoil changed from NACA23015 to NACA0014 (1/32" thinner than original)
    Midwings reduced form 10" to 9.5"
    Mid wing sweep increased 3/4"
    ABS winglets and stabilizers
    Deeper battery bay in the center
    1" wider center section
    Changed motor mount
    ABS winglets
    ABS stabilizers

Mine has zero bounce in it... but then I used the sparring profile in the build video. Mine is also a lot lighter than anyone's in this thread. My AUW is 4.1# with batteries. I found out Stone blue does not put in the 2 most critical spars (the ones right behind the battery bay) because it makes it more difficult to wire. They also use bent flat carbon as opposed to the I-beam structure I use. Why, I don't know.

What I did find out is there is a good bit of torsional strain to the airframe from heavy batteries in the nose without the spars I place up there. With the bay much thinner and the added sweep of the midWing sections, this makes this area much weaker than before. Thus the spars I added as "extras" probably ought to go in there for everyone. This *might* be the area that is flexing. I will include them with all future kits to ensure everyone has adequate spars. The main issue here is that the strain on the front is not sparred in any way except for running them in an I-beam formation down the wing leading edge.

The point of the V2 was to make it faster and more agile as well as allow it to carry more battery. I am revisiting the original V1 for those who want an HD video ship. I am making some improvements to that one and will release it as the Chimera HD. Mind you, the 7" wide center WILL NOT be part of it as this reduces the aspect ratio and causes it to be pitchy which causes nose bounce issues. It will remain at 6". I will make the center section thicker, though. This will accomodate a bigger battery. The midwings will be thicker as well to increase strength.

I can't repeat this enough: If the build video is not followed, then there is no way to guarantee it will fly right.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

I saw a little bounce in my V2, more than the V1 I had. Looking back at my old videos, the very first Chimera I had was the most stable HD ship I have ever had. Really wishing I hadn't sold that one.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....es-amp-IBCrazy

Quote Originally Posted by gobigdale View Post
    I saw a little bounce in my V2, more than the V1 I had. Looking back at my old videos, the very first Chimera I had was the most stable HD ship I have ever had. Really wishing I hadn't sold that one.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....es-amp-IBCrazy
    I think I'm going to try a 2.8# EPP center section on the next few to see if I can smooth it out a bit.

I also am making an HD version which will be much thicker in the center to hold even more battery and should eliminate all flex.

-Alex
    Last edited by IBCrazy; 5th July 2016 at 10:14 PM.

Wow is my V1 beat to hell. I brought her down and realized that there's 2 broken spars that run horizontal across the whole center section. I dug in and buried a 7mm x 7mm square carbon rod just in front of the motor mount as well as inserted an 8mm flat strip next to another broken piece up in the rear of the bay. She's strong again, but damn! I probably should do a whole strip down of lam and do a bunch of repair / reinforcement work, then lam back up, but I just don't think I have the time before my trip. Maybe I'll keep her as-is and build another... actually, yeah... that's what I'm going to do. I love well worn, beat up but highly functional things. Long live the Chimera.

Fly,crash,glue,repeat! Jake Bullit's Avatar
    ^^
    +1 I love my wife
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing as I wrote that. I was like "maybe this is why I've always dug older chicks...". Too funny.

SBA has the first HD Chimera prototype in their possession. My foam cutter doesn't like cutting the profile at all. It took me a whole day just to get the midWing sections to cut right.

-Alex

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    SBA has the first HD Chimera prototype in their possession. My foam cutter doesn't like cutting the profile at all. It took me a whole day just to get the midWing sections to cut right.

-Alex
    Interested.

Page 319 of 371 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329369 ... LastLast