Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Crossfire 2

Forum Member

3D Printed Crossfire 2

I just finished my second version of my 3D printed quadcopter. I'm calling is the Crossfire 2. I wanted to add a thread to this forum where I could direct and answer questions. Also for many of those people on Thingiverse.com a 3D printed quad is their first experience with RC. FPVLAb is a great resource that most people starting out don't know about.

Here is the link:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:234867

Just like the original Crossfire I designed this one specifically for FPV. After a year of flying my first printed quad I had come up with a laundry list of things that I wanted to improve upon. The C2 solves nearly all of those issues.

The arms are stronger and come in different sizes and styles and you can use through bolts or press fit in lock nuts to attach the arms.

The frame can now mount nearly any flight controller and is specifically designed for the APM by using and anti-vibration mount.

The top cover is designed for a ccd camera and a compass/gps module.

The battery tray can be printed in plain, with a go pro mount, with a gimbal mount or with a servo mount to customize your aerial filming needs.

Removable landing gear/skid

And hopefully lots more to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	2600 
Size:	520.2 KB 
ID:	40741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg 
Views:	2110 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	40742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg 
Views:	1585 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	40743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	1545 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	40744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo4.jpg 
Views:	2058 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	40745  
    Last edited by Flyerdiver; 4th February 2014 at 05:13 PM.

Forum Member

Trying to select motors and electronics

Hey man, I love the design and looking forward to completing the build, but I'm really new at this and I really don't know what motors to purchase. I was going to purchase what you had yours outfitted with, but I can't find the same motors. Can you give me some suggestions on what a good comparable motor would be? I'm not sure what the total weight will be, so I can't figure out what the ratings on the motor should be. BTW, I printed in PLA. Would appreciate any direction that you can give me.

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
    Hey man, I love the design and looking forward to completing the build, but I'm really new at this and I really don't know what motors to purchase. I was going to purchase what you had yours outfitted with, but I can't find the same motors. Can you give me some suggestions on what a good comparable motor would be? I'm not sure what the total weight will be, so I can't figure out what the ratings on the motor should be. BTW, I printed in PLA. Would appreciate any direction that you can give me.

Thanks!
    Hey thanks. Depending on the setup your flight weight is between 1000-1700 grams. The one I have pictured is just under 1700 grams with and APM the gimbal, go pro, fpv equipment and a 4000mah 4 cell battery. If you are not going to be using a go pro or fpv equipment your build will be around 1000-1200 grams. Check out GetFPV.com, they should have plenty of motors to suit whatever you have planned for your quad. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyerdiver View Post
    Hey thanks. Depending on the setup your flight weight is between 1000-1700 grams. The one I have pictured is just under 1700 grams with and APM the gimbal, go pro, fpv equipment and a 4000mah 4 cell battery. If you are not going to be using a go pro or fpv equipment your build will be around 1000-1200 grams. Check out GetFPV.com, they should have plenty of motors to suit whatever you have planned for your quad. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
    Great info...thank you! I would post pictures, but I need to get to the hardware store to get connectors. I gotta say, I've been having a hard time finding the screws and stuff that you specified in your instructions online. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places. Is there a good place online for just the metric nuts and bolts?

As for the motors, I think I'm going to go with the NX4008 from GetFPV. I just placed an order with them for some other stuff, so maybe they can put it all into the same shipment. Thanks for the help...I'll post pics as soon as I have something meaningful other than just printed parts. :-)

Forum Member

general parts question

I'm brand new to RC copters. I've been playing with the Phoenix simulator for a while, and have been looking to build my first copter. I have a 3d printer, and so naturally I've been hunting through thingiverse to see what there is to see. There's where I came across the Crossfire 2, and I'd really like to build one.

The goal one day would be to have a full on FPV, but to start out with, I've been trying to figure out how to get started without a large investment in something that I'm sure will be smashed a lot.

I've spent hours reading through forums, and researching parts, but all I've really learned is how much I don't know. Which is a start anyway.

Sorry for the long intro, but the meat of my question is about electronics. I might one day spring for a APM or a Naza, but for today, I'm looking for something a bit less expensive. I've looked over the KK, and I like the price, but I'm hearing it's not very stable and lacks auto-leveling, two things which I think would really improve my early learning. What is a good inexpensive controller to use for a beginner? I don't need crazy tricks, just smooth and stable.

Second question should be super easy, but I'm just not finding an answer. I have the Spektrum DX5e transmitter that came with the simulator, and I'd like to use a receiver that can bind with it. It's a 5ch 2.4GHz DSM. Spektrum lists only the AR500 as compatible, but that model is hard to find, and indeed I don't see any other 5 channel receivers. So the stupid question of the day is: can any 2.4 GHz DSM receiver work with my transmitter?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp7189 View Post
    I might one day spring for a APM or a Naza, but for today, I'm looking for something a bit less expensive. I've looked over the KK, and I like the price,

I think I'm missing something (well a lot of things). I went looking around for the APM controller mentioned in the crossfire2 doc, but a search on Hobby King for APM came up with nothing. I went looking elsewhere and found one result on Amazon priced at $300. I searched on Amazon for Naza and found a few hits for around $500. Back on Hobby King I see a Naza M Lite for $70 (without GPS).

I see the "MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module" for $65

I also see the ""MINI MWC Flight Control Board and DSM2 Receiver ACC/GYRO/BARO/MAG" for $28 !! This board seems to have EVERYTHING including a receiver for my DX5e. It's only missing a GPS (but has a GPS port).

I'm just not getting it. Obviously there's something in the $300 controller that's not in the $28 one, but I can't see it on the specs checklist.

Anyone have some advice to offer?

Forum Member
    Get a kk2 or a multiwii, both are great places to start. DSM2 is bad if you are flying with others.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
    Great info...thank you! I would post pictures, but I need to get to the hardware store to get connectors. I gotta say, I've been having a hard time finding the screws and stuff that you specified in your instructions online. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places. Is there a good place online for just the metric nuts and bolts?

As for the motors, I think I'm going to go with the NX4008 from GetFPV. I just placed an order with them for some other stuff, so maybe they can put it all into the same shipment. Thanks for the help...I'll post pics as soon as I have something meaningful other than just printed parts. :-)

Sorry for the late reply. I got all the hardware from hobby king. M3 machine screws, standoffs lock nuts etc. You should be able to find them all under hardware. I would like to see pics when you get it done!

Forum Member
    I'm brand new to RC copters. I've been playing with the Phoenix simulator for a while, and have been looking to build my first copter. I have a 3d printer, and so naturally I've been hunting through thingiverse to see what there is to see. There's where I came across the Crossfire 2, and I'd really like to build one.

The goal one day would be to have a full on FPV, but to start out with, I've been trying to figure out how to get started without a large investment in something that I'm sure will be smashed a lot.

I've spent hours reading through forums, and researching parts, but all I've really learned is how much I don't know. Which is a start anyway.

Sorry for the long intro, but the meat of my question is about electronics. I might one day spring for a APM or a Naza, but for today, I'm looking for something a bit less expensive. I've looked over the KK, and I like the price, but I'm hearing it's not very stable and lacks auto-leveling, two things which I think would really improve my early learning. What is a good inexpensive controller to use for a beginner? I don't need crazy tricks, just smooth and stable.

Second question should be super easy, but I'm just not finding an answer. I have the Spektrum DX5e transmitter that came with the simulator, and I'd like to use a receiver that can bind with it. It's a 5ch 2.4GHz DSM. Spektrum lists only the AR500 as compatible, but that model is hard to find, and indeed I don't see any other 5 channel receivers. So the stupid question of the day is: can any 2.4 GHz DSM receiver work with my transmitter?
    Sorry for the late reply I have been out of town. As for the simulator, I'm sorry I can't answer that. However as far as flight controllers go, I think the KK is one of the easiest controllers to get setup. It's true that it lack many of the bells and whistles of a Naza or APM. Having minor crashes is part of the learning curve and I think you will be surprised by how stable you can get a KK board even though you can't flip a switch and save yourself. If you take things step by step you should have no problem learning quickly.

Forum Member
    I think I'm missing something (well a lot of things). I went looking around for the APM controller mentioned in the crossfire2 doc, but a search on Hobby King for APM came up with nothing. I went looking elsewhere and found one result on Amazon priced at $300. I searched on Amazon for Naza and found a few hits for around $500. Back on Hobby King I see a Naza M Lite for $70 (without GPS).

I see the "MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module" for $65

I also see the ""MINI MWC Flight Control Board and DSM2 Receiver ACC/GYRO/BARO/MAG" for $28 !! This board seems to have EVERYTHING including a receiver for my DX5e. It's only missing a GPS (but has a GPS port).

I'm just not getting it. Obviously there's something in the $300 controller that's not in the $28 one, but I can't see it on the specs checklist.

Anyone have some advice to offer?
    APM is sold through 3D Robotics, anything you find elsewhere will be a knockoff and not supported by any of the software. There are many good controllers and it is all a matter of what you want to be able to do with the quadcopter. Just fly around? A KK board or multi wii will do great. Add a gps to the MWC and you can hold position. Use a Naza or APM and you can plan waypoints and have all sorts of autonomous as well as stabilized modes to fly in. There is a lot of info out there and unfortunately you will need to spend a bit of time reading through forums to get a good idea about capabilities vs. what you want to spend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast