Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How far can i go? A model to tell you and show you the distances for diff setups

Still says disabled for me. I guess it's a problem on my end, then. Oh well, thanks for taking the time to verify, random internet stranger!

Me too!! Dropbox have recently disabled all links to all documents due to the discovery of some vulnerability. I am just working to re-enable this one for you guys.

Try now - hopefully all restored - link from the first post is now updated

Huzzah, she works! Thanks man

Navigator
    Dropbox link is down :-(

Great Spreadsheet. I was wondering if the SpiroNet antenna's were the same thing as teh "Fan RHCP Omni Antenna" for purposes of the calculations.

Just asking because the spreadsheet shows greater range with the "Whip", which links to the RMRC product stating it is the same as the antenna shipped with the ImmersionRC producs.

Great spreadsheet. I ran across some information about Fresnel Zones and wondered if it could be added to the calculations. Here is a cool calculator. Not sure I completely understand it, but it explains that to get the best signal you have to have 60% of the fresnel zone clear of obstructions. With most of our antenna's close to the ground I would be we are significantly reducing our range.

Anyhow, it would be cool to add calculations like this into the DiscoTuna spreadsheet.

http://www.afar.net/fresnel-zone-calculator/

Revoman: All whips are NOT the same. For 2G4 the lawmate whips are nice. Not a huge difference but they were very consistently tuned with low vswr and all came in the 2G45 range, while other whips had wildly varying vswr and center frequencies. I only use the lawmate whips when flying LP.

NOTE: this doesn't mean the other whips don't work. They work fine if you aren't too low or far out. The difference only comes into play as you test your link budget by flying low and around obstacles or far and even then the effect isn't THAT big... <1dB...sort of the noise when compared to what your rx antenna can do.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Quote Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
    Revoman: All whips are NOT the same. For 2G4 the lawmate whips are nice. Not a huge difference but they were very consistently tuned with low vswr and all came in the 2G45 range, while other whips had wildly varying vswr and center frequencies. I only use the lawmate whips when flying LP.

NOTE: this doesn't mean the other whips don't work. They work fine if you aren't too low or far out. The difference only comes into play as you test your link budget by flying low and around obstacles or far and even then the effect isn't THAT big... <1dB...sort of the noise when compared to what your rx antenna can do.
    Thanks for all the information. Being new to FPV and LRS and UHF, I'm finding the topics to be MASSIVE. And am never quite sure what details can be fudged and which require exactness.

Looking a bit closer I see I have TONS of link budget with my EzUHF system. What I should probably be concerned about is my 5.8 video. Immersion 600mw tx with the u no receiver and spironet on the plane with an ibcrazy 5 turn cannon.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345