Thread: Naza CAN Bus to FrSky Telemetry?

Naza CAN Bus to FrSky Telemetry?

I was just reading a post on the APM boards about a bright guy who's used an Arduino Teensy 3.1 to convert the MavLink telemetry protocol into SBUS telemetry for the new FrSky X-Series receivers. This lets him see things like battery level, GPS location, altitude and speed on his Taranis radio.

This got me thinking - could this be done for a DJI System? The Teensy board has a CAN Bus port. Could you snoop on the Naza CAN bus and send the appropriate signals to the FrSky system?

I know nothing about CAN, I've never used it, just seen it in automobiles and on DJI gear. Is the protocol easy to understand, or has DJI probably obfuscated the messages?

This could make for a cheap OSD (where the S is the Taranis's screen!) , complete with logging.

I may have to order one of those Teensy boards and play around a bit. If anybody knows more about these topics, please speak up!
    Last edited by xtrmtrk; 3rd February 2014 at 04:44 AM.
    KI7CBF

Why do you need an OSD if all you do with DJI products is hover in one place?

And, who's going to spend their free time to improve usability of DJI trash, if they can't be arsed to support their own stuff? Why don't you just buy iOSD like all the good sheep and move on to hovering?

Just call it intellectual curiosity. Something I think we should encourage.

I think I own just about every hobby flight controller made (3 of yours), they're all fun to play with for various reasons.

That, and I like using FrSky telemetry with a Taranis.
    Last edited by xtrmtrk; 5th February 2014 at 01:25 PM.
    KI7CBF

hatefull comments aside

there is the nazadecoder project http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995704 (i asked the author a couple of times to put it some place more usefull like github but no luck).

but that is missing Voltage and Current. you could use that with this https://github.com/sgofferj/arduino-frsky

and create your own DJI CAN Bus to FrSky telemetry with an arduino nano or pro.
    legendaryfpv . com

In Action: RangerEx - Sky Hero Spy Y6
    Retired: TBS Discovery(upgraded to pro), Disco Pro(SOLD), Go Discover(Sold), RVJet(Sold), TBS Caipirinha(Sold)

Thanks lacion - there's a lot of activity going on there, I should have guessed people would already be on it. I appreciate the links, I learn a lot new every day.

As far as I know, nobody's outlawed having fun or learning so I'll keep doing both!
    KI7CBF

Navigator
    I done this on on APM with success now I'm also going to do this on Naza by following similar project:
    https://code.google.com/p/bagaosd/

I'm going to parallel the signal from adruino for dual telemetry (OSD and Taranis).

Naza --> adruino pro mini (convert naza to mavlink)

Then
    --> minimOSD --> Video Tx
    And
    --> Teensy 3.1 --> FrySky X(6/8)R S.Port

Taranis has logging/saving feature for telemetry. Might be handy in the future for crash locator.

Navigator
    bagaosd also have diagram how to add Voltage and Current and shopping list of all the things you need.

https://code.google.com/p/bagaosd/wiki/ShoppingList

Navigator

Changed Plan. I will just use Teensy 3.1 for all converstion.

I was able to successfully used just the Teensy 3.1 to convert Naza GPS message to FrSky S.Port message and MavLink message to minimOSD.

Here's my build log:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114596