Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to FPV - Seeking Advice on TBS Disco build plan

New to FPV - Seeking Advice on TBS Disco build plan

Ok, so let me preface this by saying after a few flights of an ardrone i have been bit by the quad bug but obviously not satisfied with the toy i bought on a whim. I have been doing lots of reading and research about what would suit my needs and i believe it is time to pass on the toy to my nephew and build myself a proper quad.

As i have much to learn, i hope the fpv community here can help me avoid any major and potentially costly mistakes on my planned build and offer any advice before i start purchasing components for my build. I've started enough hobbies in my life where i cut corners to save money only to spend more in the long run upgrading almost immediately to better performing parts, so i want to make sure what i'm going to build is a solid quad that i can get lots of enjoyment out of, and can then slowly upgrade to better equipment over time. Here is what i think i will go with along with a few questions i have:

TBS Discover ARF (2G4 video, UHF RC) with following upgrades:
    - TBS Top and Bottom Plate
    - 4 Black flame wheel F450 arms
    - DJI Naza V2 with GPS flight controller
    - TBS Core installed with Tin shield
    - TBS Tuned Lawmate 2.4 ghz video transmitter
    - 8 Channel diversity UHF receiver
    - TBS 69 FPV camera
    - 900 kv (x4) motors
    - 4 TBS bulletproof 30A ESC
    - 4 9.5" Graupner E-Props
    - Short servo extensions
    - Velcro straps / TBS loveseat
    - 4S 4.5 ah LIPO battery

Also was thinking about using the following:
    - Futaba 8FG RC Transmitter
    - TBS Modded EZUHF Transmitter
    - TBS Groundstation with Yagi Antenna
    - Immersion EZOSD
    - Fatshark dominator goggles, possibly the HD version when they are available
    - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

If i am missing any key components, feel free to let me know. Also, i thought in the future i may want to add the EZtracker Antenna tracker and build the pan/tilt servo mechanism but assume i wouldn't need that for a while as a new quad pilot with little long distance flying experience

One big question that i do have, is the Taranis RC Transmitter preferable to the Futaba 8FG? I noticed there is a EZUHF JR module that is easily installed and does not require a second battery to convert the Tx to UHF. I want a high quality radio, as i feel that is something i don't want to cut corners on. I recently came across a thread where the general consensus was the Taranis was better than running Futaba, but would you be able to get the same performance as using the modded TBS EZUHF transmitter?

Another question i have is if using the modded TBS EZUHF transmitter, is a secondary battery still required to power the UHF portion?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to advice from experienced hobbyists
    Last edited by DarthVedder; 2nd February 2014 at 12:49 AM.

Another simple question: I posted this in the Team Blacksheep forums, but it was moved out of it. Any reason? I'm more curious than anything.. Thanks

TBS Disco Build - Need advice before purchasing

i posted this earlier, and the thread was moved out of the Team Blacksheep forum for some reason... Thought i would retry to put it here

Ok, so let me preface this by saying after a few flights of an ardrone i have been bit by the quad bug but obviously not satisfied with the toy i bought on a whim. I have been doing lots of reading and research about what would suit my needs and i believe it is time to pass on the toy to my nephew and build myself a proper quad.

As i have much to learn, i hope the fpv community here can help me avoid any major and potentially costly mistakes on my planned build and offer any advice before i start purchasing components for my build. I've started enough hobbies in my life where i cut corners to save money only to spend more in the long run upgrading almost immediately to better performing parts, so i want to make sure what i'm going to build is a solid quad that i can get lots of enjoyment out of, and can then slowly upgrade to better equipment over time. Here is what i think i will go with along with a few questions i have:

TBS Discover ARF (2G4 video, UHF RC) with following upgrades:
    - TBS Top and Bottom Plate
    - 4 Black flame wheel F450 arms
    - DJI Naza V2 with GPS flight controller
    - TBS Core installed with Tin shield
    - TBS Tuned Lawmate 2.4 ghz video transmitter
    - 8 Channel diversity UHF receiver
    - TBS 69 FPV camera
    - 900 kv (x4) motors
    - 4 TBS bulletproof 30A ESC
    - 4 9.5" Graupner E-Props
    - Short servo extensions
    - Velcro straps / TBS loveseat
    - 4S 4.5 ah LIPO battery

- Futaba 8FG RC Transmitter
    - TBS Modded EZUHF Transmitter
    - TBS Groundstation with Yagi Antenna
    - Immersion EZOSD
    - Fatshark dominator goggles, possibly the HD version when they are available
    - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

If i am missing any key components, feel free to let me know. Also, i thought in the future i may want to add the EZtracker Antenna tracker and build the pan/tilt servo mechanism but assume i wouldn't need that for a while as a new quad pilot with little long distance flying experience

One big question that i do have, is the Taranis RC Transmitter preferable to the Futaba 8FG? I noticed there is a EZUHF JR module that is easily installed and does not require a second battery to convert the Tx to UHF. I want a high quality radio, as i feel that is something i don't want to cut corners on. I recently came across a thread where the general consensus was the Taranis was better than running Futaba, but would you be able to get the same performance as using the modded TBS EZUHF transmitter?

Another question i have is if using the modded TBS EZUHF transmitter, is a secondary battery still required to power the UHF portion?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to advice from experienced hobbyists

Navigator
    Personally depending on what you want I wouldnt recommend going for the UHF link to start with.

I also came from an AR Drone 2.0 power edition and its a BIG stepup, read all the resources you can get on here as there are plenty of manuals and starter guides to help. To be honest keep it simple, go for 5.8ghz for video and 2.4ghz for RC, learn how to fly (big difference from ar drone - take it from experience). Then when you get comfortable, upgrade to the longer range (2.4ghz video and UHF for RC)

Just a personal though as if your not 100% clued on you will keep having problems and then you will lose the will to live and give up flying it.

- TBS 69 FPV camera - Good camera choice
    - 900 kv (x4) motors - motors are good for sportier flying
    - 4 TBS bulletproof 30A ESC - not had any problems with these
    - 4 9.5" Graupner E-Props - get some cheaper plastic ones to learn, these chip easily when hit
    - 4S 4.5 ah LIPO battery - either tbs or turnigy nanotech are good 4S batteries

- Futaba 8FG RC Transmitter - use it myself
    - Immersion EZOSD - personally using the naza the iOSD is plug and play
    - Fatshark dominator goggles - good goggles - use them myself with the GS
    - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition - good camera choice - why not the 3+ ?
    Last edited by MattJ; 2nd February 2014 at 03:08 AM.
    TBS Discovery Pro - Kent, United Kingdom
    Flight Computer: DJI Naza 2 with GPS - R/C: Futaba T8J with R2008SB Receiver - Video TX: Immersion 5.8 GHz 600Mw
    Motors: TBS 900 Kv - ESC: TBS Bulletproof - Propellors: Gaupner 9"x5" E-Prop - Batteries: Turnigy NanoTech 4S 4500mAh
    Ground Station: 16" Screen with 5.8 GHz Diversity Receiver - FPV: FatShark Dominator Googles With TBS 5.8 GHz Receiver And Patch Antenna
    Additional: FliteLite Leg Extenders

Thanks for the reply Matt

you bring up a good point about UHF. My logic was if i started with UHF i would not have to push it on range but i would not have to upgrade video TX and RX once i wanted more range and i would gain experience using that system from the start. It also would allow me to use TBS's new compact ground station which looks like a nice easy ground station solution with a lot less setup and teardown when going out for a flight

I do plan on getting the latest go pro, so i should have put 3+ as that is what i meant.

I will look into iOSD a little more. I chose to go with EZOSD because it can display RSSI, Current, and mAH used in addition to voltage. I thought that information would be useful to learn when it is time to bring down the quad before i lose power. the iOSD does look sharp, and being plug and play it may be a better route to go initially

Thanks again, looking forward to what others have to say as well. Im fighting the urge to just start buying things only to regret later that i didn't spend my money wisely

Navigator
    Thats ok mate anytime :-)

I know what you mean about UHF as I would like to upgrade my video tx to get better range which means upgrading to UHF and its the cost putting me off. Totally agree about the groundstation its very nice as my peli case with 16" screen is a little large to carry around.

The only problem I had with the ezosd is that it took longer to acquire satellites against the naza - so I had homelock on the naza but was still waiting another minute to satellite lock on the screen, adn until this you cannot set your home point for the arrow. I didnt get on with the circle and the arrow to show your homepoint, I like the diamond on the iosd. So it is all down to personal preference. I like it plug and play but downside you dont have the mah used and so have to rely on voltage. At 14.6-14.7 I start heading back towards me and start wanting to land at 14.4

Let us know how you get on and do a build log :-)
    TBS Discovery Pro - Kent, United Kingdom
    Flight Computer: DJI Naza 2 with GPS - R/C: Futaba T8J with R2008SB Receiver - Video TX: Immersion 5.8 GHz 600Mw
    Motors: TBS 900 Kv - ESC: TBS Bulletproof - Propellors: Gaupner 9"x5" E-Prop - Batteries: Turnigy NanoTech 4S 4500mAh
    Ground Station: 16" Screen with 5.8 GHz Diversity Receiver - FPV: FatShark Dominator Googles With TBS 5.8 GHz Receiver And Patch Antenna
    Additional: FliteLite Leg Extenders

If you are starting to fly i would advice to start with 2.4Ghz radio, futaba 8FG is great and TBS video 5.8GHz (rookie transmitter, dominator goggle rx module) with spironet antennas.
    Will give you simple solution perfect for starting.
    Later on you can move to UHF control and 2.4Ghz video.

Also complement your reading with: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ew-and-advices , and see his footage showing what fun we can have with 2.4 radio and 5.8 video.
    Last edited by rlage; 3rd February 2014 at 06:00 AM.
    *** Please Subscribe: http://youtube.com/user/rlage3/videos ***
    My gear: TBS Discovery - TBS Discovery Pro - DRQ250 - AXN - Easystar 2

Navigator
    I can't recommend the futaba highly enough, nothing needed to upgrade or fix, very solid and easily programed super smooth gimbles.

looks like you are going all out on this build, but if you are going this far why not go for the disco pro?

I've gone back and forth on the pro. I was thinking that i could save money, or at least appear that i do by going in stages, but i haven't decided if i should go with the pro or not

is the only real benefit the gimbal? I know i would want that eventually but being new to quads i didn't know if i should go with the pro frame as its a given i will crash a few times

Navigator
    if you expect to crash a few times then I would suggest making a slightly cheaper quad first, you can get most of the features from the disco onto a standard DJI 450 and when you do bin it you won't have to pay so much for new plates, arms are the same, I have crashed my quad a few times now and am glad to not have to pay so much to repair it I think I have gone through 8 arms and a bottom plate.

when you are more confident move all your good gear over to the disco.

but then thats just me you are free to buy and crash what ever you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast