FPVLAB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Darn that 29-year-old "aerial anarchist" and his styrofoam airplane!

Co-Pilot
    Sorry... I hate to be critical but, as someone who's been involved in the news media (off and on) for several decades, I have to say that getting your *facts* right is one of the most basic elements of writing a good story.

The article cited has too many errors -- even *one* is too many because it throws every other "fact" in the story into question and thus defeats the purpose of the whole damned thing -- unless the purpose is simply to attract and titillate readers for the benefit of advertisers.

It has never been easier to verify facts than it is today -- a few Google searches and double-checking what you find against other verifiable sources is all it takes.

There's no real excuse for sloppy journalism in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Yes there is Bruce. It is called money. $ensationalism $ells $tories.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by xjet View Post
    Sorry... I hate to be critical but, as someone who's been involved in the news media (off and on) for several decades, I have to say that getting your *facts* right is one of the most basic elements of writing a good story.

The article cited has too many errors -- even *one* is too many because it throws every other "fact" in the story into question and thus defeats the purpose of the whole damned thing -- unless the purpose is simply to attract and titillate readers for the benefit of advertisers.

It has never been easier to verify facts than it is today -- a few Google searches and double-checking what you find against other verifiable sources is all it takes.

I feel stupid getting into an Internet argument about this but please tell me, what are some of the errors in it? The RC helicopter is cited as an example of a time that a model aircraft killed someone AND THE FAA DID NOTHING—how is that not relevant and not worth citing? Especially when they have just charged someone for "reckless flying" when nothing happened? You can sit in here and argue the difference between drones and RC helicopters all day, but don't be shocked when people who make regulatory decisions make no distinction between them whatsoever. They haven't and they're not going to going forward.

Yep the quote below is ridiculous as it clearly states that the poor Brooklyn RC 3D Helicopter pilot was a "drone operator" therefore falsely establishing that this horrific death is the product of drone operation. I'm surprised "Drone decapitates man" isn't the headline. Damn media.

"Another is whether Pirker was, in fact, flying recklessly. Even when drones have crashed and killed—as happened to one drone operator in Brooklyn who was partially decapitated by his own helicopter in September—the FAA has chosen to not investigate, instead deferring to local law enforcement."
    This 3D helicopter is not part of the story, it's absolutely idiotic of you to act as though I am trying to sensationalize that part of the story. I feel bad that that guy died but it's only even in the story because it set precedent that the FAA does not give a s**t what happens to you or what you do as long as you don't make money off of it.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrittMac View Post
    Yes there is Bruce. It is called money. $ensationalism $ells $tories.
    trust me if i wanted to make money i wouldn't have gone into journalism.

immersed from the start AtariJoe's Avatar
    Aggro
    - thumbs up, you put some issues out there with a good explanation to the masses.
    - thumbs down, quoting the chief editor of a major european magazine Helmut Markwort. "...all that matters are facts,facts,facts."
    Stop arguing if itīs "part of the story" or not. You got some FACTS WRONG and that worsens your grade. The decapitated guy was NOT a "drone operator", there was no camera involved. Hereby you are implying that someone has been killed by a drone on US soil, which is obviously incorrect. Quit the sensationalism and call it what it was - a teen playing with his RC helicopter.
    Oh, and we do not call Trappy an "aerial anarchist". We call him a highly skilled pilot and developer.
    -LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP
    -Why? ...because I can.

Quote Originally Posted by aggro5288 View Post
    trust me if i wanted to make money i wouldn't have gone into journalism.
    I never assumed you were making the big bucks. There is the paper owner/company for that.

The FAA did "nothing" when that accident happened, just like it does nothing when hundreds (probably thousands) of other R/C accidents happen. Because they are not UAS's.

These replies are what I alluded to earlier in my first post.

Pilot
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    yall bore me. its an article that nobody will ever read on a website that cant even get facebook shares posted in a thread where i'd rather see some titties

#goteamtrappy
    #goteamtitties

Are those titties factually correct? They look false to me. You have lost all creditability for posting that!

Get your facts right you titty anarchist!

;-)
    Last edited by Anarchy83; 1st February 2014 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy83 View Post
    Are those titties factually correct? ;-)

Better living through chemistry, there is more silicone in those things than in a tube of GE bathtub caulk. ;-)

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

If you can touch them, they are real. This was taught to me be a very wise man.

*this thread went sideways quickly*

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast