DragonLinkRC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinity head tracking with Dragon link

Trinity head tracking with Dragon link

Curious if anyone has been successful in installing the fat shark trinity had tracker on their Dragon link V2 system and gotten positive results.

When I originally purchased my attitude SD (V1) package, I had a working head tracking setup on my DX8 with the Mig2. Due to the unnatural feel, however, I disabled it and opted for pan only on the auxiliary three knob on the radio. Haven't used head tracking since.

I recently swapped out my attitude SD set up for the new attitude version two, and I am anxious to try the new Trinity head tracking system. My current radio setup is a Turnigy he 9XR & Dragon link version two. My initial desire is to send the head tracking through the Dragon link transmitter. So far I have only been partially successful, results not being the fully operational Trinity had tracking system. Here would be a good time to state that I do not intend on including the third roll axis in my head tracking, I aim to include pan and tilt only.

The effort. I have built a wiring harness from the JR head tracking Cable included with the attitude version two and a Dragon link head tracking connector. Both ground and ppm check out. Furthermore, I have followed the instructions on both the Dragon link end as well as the fat shark end.
    The results. After binding and enabling head tracking with default settings, what I get is roll assigned to channel 11 on the Dragon link RX, pan and tilt are not functional. I do discover, however, that as I scroull through head tracking settings through the menu on the goggles, what ever I assign to channel 7 with FS works on channel 11 on the Dragon link RX. I can only successfully assign one axis at a time through DL channel 11 exclusively. I have successfully enabled pan, tilt, and roll through DL channel 11, which makes me feel like all of the wiring is probably correct and the appropriate signals are reaching the Dragon link end from the fat shark end.

I have found some discussion on the lab about problems with Trinity head tracking and Dragon link, but have not found any discussion regarding resolution. Furthermore, on the Trinity beta Thread, there's a bit of discussion regarding Dragon link, it's seems that the default option has just been to use the radio instead of the Dragon link transmitter module. I have looked into using the 9XR somewhat, and understand there have existed some problems there as well.

I have stock DL V2 firmware, as I have not made the, I feel unnecessarily large, leap to purchase the data cable.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

So after piddling around this morning with settings on the radio, I have further info and some ideas.

When the DL set up, I believe the radio protocol was set up to PPM 10CH - So naturally, as Dragon link gives head tracking to the last two channels on your radio (for pan/tilt, this was pre-Trinity which needs 3), it assigned channels 9,10, and 11 on the RX for Head tracking. This makes sense as 11 was the third, roll. But, 9 and 10 didn't work, seems as if the 9XR didn't want to let go of this channels and give them to the Trinity.

I tested this further, setting up the radio as PPM 6CH. Bound the DL with Trinity installed with default settings, same thing relative - Seems as if DL has assigned 5,6,and 7 to the Trinity. Only Ch7 works now with roll. Ch 5 and 6 are unresponsive, seems once again as if the 9XR doesn't want to let Trinity use them.

Still playing around. Will try binding with Trinity set up to pan/tilt only on 5/6 and see if that does anything.

Updates to come, and input/insight strongly desired.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

Update, success!

I observed that the Trinity was only being allowed to use channels beyond those owned by the radio, armed with that knowledge I opted to experiment with those beyond channel 6.

According to the manual, it seems there are eight channels which Trinity can be assigned, and since I programmed the 9XR to be a six channel radio, it was evident which channels to which I must assign the Trinity-7 and 8. In the Trinity menu, I assigned pan and tilt only to channel 7 and eight, this absolutely did the trick.

Now, this certainly goes deeper. Using this method and this set up (9XR, DLV2, Trinity), You are limited to only six channels with your radio. If you were to select 8Ch ppm as your set up with the 9XR, I don't think that Trinity could program that high to go past the channels owned by the 9XR. This is my first time messing with the radio, so perhaps my programming abilities are so novice that I am limited to this method, or perhaps alternate software is able to provide a different method.

Once again, feedback welcome.

I forgot to add that the Trinity head tracking system is just such a joy to use.

1up all the fine folks at FatShark.

Wandering, but not lost
    I have had a similar experience as you describe. Supposedly DL is working on a firmware update, but I have been waiting months for that, so I'm not holding my breath. Kind of a shame though, because I got the Trinity to have all three channels. As far as I know, it is currently not possible to get all three channels with Dragonlink and Dominators/Trinity

If there has been a change in that situation that I'm not aware of, hopefully someone will chime in with an update. Thanks for posting your info so at least now I know I'm not the only one to have struggled with this.

Just to be clear, this is a Dragonlink issue, not Fatshark or Trinity. Maybe someday DL will be motivated to fix it, but don't count on it anytime soon.
    Last edited by LabRat; 27th January 2014 at 07:29 PM.

I have a Futaba T8FG super and cannot get the trinity to work at all with the dragonlink on any of the channels. The radio is an 8 channel but can send up to 12 via trainer mode. Anybody get this working with a futaba t8fgs and dragonlink? This is driving me crazy.

I got it! This is what I did: i held the button to select the last chennels possible for pan & tilt (7&8) and then plugged the pan tilt servos into channels 9 and 10 on the dragonlink. I then re-bound the tx/rx and BAM! it worked. I am stoked!

Good to see you got it working.
    I am interested to know how you made your cable.
    This is what I have done ..Is it correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumb-image.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	42767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumb-image-34c92ad5.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	42768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumb-image-5972686f.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	42769  

Yep looks good

Thanks. There is not much info out there about this wiring. Well ...not that I could find.

Thanks again.