Page 11 of 165 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: TBS GROUNDSTATION - official thread

This product is really impressive. Do you have any photo of internals? building is made by parts of electronic or a integrated PCB?

TBS resembles Apple . This is a kind of product a user must have with the functions he is supposed to use, rather then the user idea of a product messing around cables and converters.

My last remark is that i guess soon will be released the TBS GROUNDSTATION PRO with recording capabilities on a micro SD card .
    Last edited by rlage; 27th January 2014 at 02:26 PM.
    *** Please Subscribe: http://youtube.com/user/rlage3/videos ***
    My gear: TBS Discovery - TBS Discovery Pro - DRQ250 - AXN - Easystar 2

rlage, it is one integrated PCB. actually two, we re-use the CORE's internals just like we do on the TBS CORE PNP25/50 and DISCOVERY PRO. We will not release a GROUNDSTATION PRO. any SD recorder functionality that we may have will either be tied to the VTx or the RJ45 ports and it will be a separate, external module.

Navigator
    Just out of curiosity, the high switching-frequency from the DC-DC converter have not been a problem in the design-phase, due to the RF-noise (emitted and conducted)? With the size, separation between RF-stages and power-supply can't be that impressive. I've been using ADP2301 for DC-DC converters in a few projects (not sure what IC you are using though, but I guess it would be something similar with quite high switching frequency to minimize the filters), and while it works like a charm, it's not the most silent solution RF-wise I've tried.

I've done a few measurements in the EMC-chamber at the university, just to see what kinda noise they are spitting out. They are not all that silent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-25%2011.54.05.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	40065

Just placed an order by the way
    Last edited by DennisFrie; 27th January 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlage View Post
    This product is really impressive. Do you have any photo of internals? building is made by parts of electronic or a integrated PCB?

TBS resembles Apple . This is a kind of product a user must have with the functions he is supposed to use, rather then the user idea of a product messing around cables and converters.
    I think this is a good analogy - this design keeps you focussing on flying - it allows you to setup so quickly and tear down so quickly that you can stop anyway, jump out the car and your away and back and on to the next place. The quality of the picture etc that it gives you is so good that diversity / antenna tracker etc would be a total waste and quite against the way it encourages you to use the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisFrie View Post
    Just out of curiosity, the high switching-frequency from the DC-DC converter have not been a problem in the design-phase, due to the RF-noise (emitted and conducted)? With the size, separation between RF-stages and power-supply can't be that impressive. I've been using ADP2301 for DC-DC converters in a few projects (not sure what IC you are using though, but I guess it would be something similar with quite high switching frequency to minimize the filters), and while it works like a charm, it's not the most silent solution RF-wise I've tried.

I've done a few measurements in the EMC-chamber at the university, just to see what kinda noise they are spitting out. They are not all that silent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-25%2011.54.05.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	40065

Just placed an order by the way
    You are not going to be disappointed - not sure on the technical details (nice looking kit by the way!), but the proof is in the pudding - i was getting clearer picture in a very high noise area with this that with the tuned lawmate.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoTuna View Post
    I think this is a good analogy - this design keeps you focussing on flying - it allows you to setup so quickly and tear down so quickly that you can stop anyway, jump out the car and your away and back and on to the next place. The quality of the picture etc that it gives you is so good that diversity / antenna tracker etc would be a total waste and quite against the way it encourages you to use the kit.
    I have been trying to focus on this "Portability" and "Deploy-Fly-Leave" side of FPV flying for a while now. I almost started to question if I like building and testing more than flying because of all the FPV equipment I ended up buying I just finished my own GS Backpack but I ordered this GS for its ease of use and probably will be all I need when I add a DVR to it. I feel in general TBS encourages the customers to enjoy flying and not get lost in technical terms. They already think and implement every little detail when they design a product.

I think the size of the screen is perfect for the curious bystanders to take a look and leave.
    Last edited by Hizlimax; 28th January 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    | CW Aviation | TBS Discovery | Discovery PRO | Discovery PRO AerialMob | Gemini | Vendetta | G2 | Caipirinha | DJI S1000+ | Blackout Mini H | Hex | Alien 4" 5" 6" 7" | Helix 5" | Kraken 5R | FU-RC Kore | Sweepwings Runt | Flinch | Ritewing Zephyr XL | ZIII | Drak | Mini Drak | All Hardcores | Rite Spec | www.youtube.com/hizlimax |

But it isn't really being used as a ground station. More of "just a receiver" with a iphone sized screen.

I believe a gs should have a function along the lines of Tracking, flying, monitoring, advanced receiving, data logging, recording. This does none of that.

A reason to not use your goggles.

Navigator
    My former "ground station" wasn't a mess by any means, but it wasn't as neat and tidy as this. 10" monitor, receiver Velcro'd to the back. Lipo strapped someplace. This is replacing that setup and I like it has a small monitor, and easy for my to connect my goggles into. Fast setup. For my purposes, this is perfect. Will it be perfect for everyone? What is?

I haven't received yet, but I'm happy with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizlimax View Post
    I have been trying to focus on this "Portability" and "Deploy-Fly-Leave" side of FPV flying for a while now. I almost started to question if I like building and testing more than flying because of all the FPV equipment I ended up buying I just finished my own GS Backpack but I ordered this GS for its ease of use and probably will be all I need when I add a DVR to it. I feel in general TBS encourages the customers to enjoy flying and not get lost in technical terms. They already think and implement every little detail when they design a product.

I think the size of the screen is perfect for the curious bystanders to take a look and leave.
    Yeah - i went through exactly the same thought process as well (building / sourcing the optimum products is fun). For me the big draw of TBS products (like apple), is that they have done the testing themselves to make sure their products integrate together and are a pleasure to use. TBS guys fly all the time and they use their own products all the time. They test them extensively themselves before they are on the market and they get heavily refined through this process. With them being local to me I know this from first hand experience watching them. That means we, the customer, don't need to worry about the compatibility or effectiveness of the products and can concentrate on flying-fun.

My attitude has developed into the Get-Fly-Go mode of thought most recently when i took my DiscoPro on a driving family holiday a few months back and i needed to think this way to ensure speed of the missions otherwise the family would get pissed off. After doing it is a few times i realised how much more fun it was and that i could spend more time thinking about where to get the next good flight in vs procrastinating and worrying about set-up potential issues etc., not to say i am in anyway less cautious, but the change in attitude is greatly increasing my already high enjoyment of the hobby.

I think it has been said before, but this GS has been refined down to exactly what you need to get in great flights with extreme ease. You need what the GS does provide but nothing more in order to get into the air. You could add in most of that other stuff (even attach it to this GS), but none of it really is going to improve most of your flying but it will have the disadvantage of weight, bulk and cost all of which are negatives to the flying experience in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by nightram View Post
    But it isn't really being used as a ground station. More of "just a receiver" with a iphone sized screen.

I believe a gs should have a function along the lines of Tracking, flying, monitoring, advanced receiving, data logging, recording. This does none of that.

A reason to not use your goggles.

we just got back from a desert safari. we got thrown off the car with disco and GS in hand (ever rode through the dunes at high speeds on the back of a truck? ). everything still worked. if that happened with a tracker or other fancy gadgetry, your vacation just finished ...

data logging -> flytrex
    tracking -> feel free to add it. I dont think it's a good idea
    recording -> wireless dvr via rebroadcast and you are good to go
    Last edited by Trappy; 28th January 2014 at 08:46 PM.