Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First FPV Plane!

First Fixed Wing FPV Model

Hi Everyone

I am looking to build my first fixed wing FPV model

I would like between 30 and 1 hour flight time, up to 5 mile range, I have EZuhf on my Discovery so would like to use the same system, I also have a Boscam 2.4ghz 500mw tx (still in the box) that I would like to use.

Any ideas? also some kind of stabilization/maybe autopilot would be nice.

The short list is:

TBS Caipi
    Skywalker 1900
    Skywalker X8
    Teksumo

Can anyone offer any further models or any information on the above.

Thanks in advance

Dave

The TBS caipi is not a beginners plane if i'm not mistaken. And i know that Derrick has something like a teksumo with 20min of flighttime. An hour is going to be difficult i presume. The X8 seems to be a tad big for a first plane. So the Skywalker would be your best choice IMO Plenty of room and easy to modify too for more options down the road.

The bixler is even more forgiven and very affordable. I don't know if you can reach 1 hour of flyign with it though. http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....Bixler-1-amp-2

I second Hans' suggestion on the Bixler. It's easy to fly, cheap, welcomes modifications, and is a pretty capable FPV platform. I spent a good 2 years flying Bixler's, and they provided great fun, and were the perfect fixed wing platform with which to grow. My fully loaded Bixler 2 (FPV Pod with Pan, Full Eagle Tree OSD Pro setup, GoPro in housing, and 3S5000) would average 45 minute flights - maintaining throttle discipline, of course. A lighter bird (No GoPro) would definitely get longer. The Bixler 3 was announced (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Soon_.html), surely another option (disregard the price).

Wherever you're located, HobbyKing probably has a warehouse near you, so shipping should be that killer.

Check out the thread Hans linked, lots of good info in there.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

Thanks for the advice people, have just ordered a bixler 2, I will start off with 5.8 video and 2.4 control for now.

I am going to try the turnigy t1000fc as well.

Thanks again

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 1993sei View Post
    Thanks for the advice people, have just ordered a bixler 2, I will start off with 5.8 video and 2.4 control for now.

Thanks again

Dave
    Glad to hear. I had a blast for a year and a half with my Bix2/5.8/2.4 setup. If I may make a further recommendation: although you're not new to FPV, do consider foregoing the T1000FC at first, get used to the bird naked, then supe it up.

Also, drop into the Bixler thread linked above - great info on mods, power setups, and a gentle bunch of guys who are eager to assist.

Just for shits and giggles, here's some of my fond memories of my Bixler 2 before it died. All 5.8 vid 2.4rc.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DoopDrhXHLs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yN7x1wr-mW8
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1993sei View Post

Thanks again

Dave
    Very wise, we all dream of flying for miles and staying in the air for hours, but thats for experienced FPV'ers who have built up from where you have decided to start.
    To get comfortable flying FPV stay close and stay reasonably low. Once in the air, locate your home base and fly around it until you're at ease and familiar with the surroundings. Then you can start venturing further afield. Home base is where your body is, your consciousness is in the plane.
    The T1000fc is, in my opinion a good idea in case panic sets in, or you lose video(scary the first time it happens).
    Happy flying.

Navigator
    Currently building a drone but after the drone I will definitely be making a plane

I'm with you Twopeak

I want to get into fixed wing stuff also. I'm mainly just trying to get s bunch of reading in before I start opening my wallet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123