Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First FPV Plane!

immersed from the start AtariJoe's Avatar
    Sorry, does not compute...
    Long range fpv rig that comes easy and cheap? -Does not exist.
    At least not at the level you´re used to if you buy off the shelf phantoms and stuff.
    -LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP
    -Why? ...because I can.

Navigator
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ht_Radio_.html

I like the looks of this one. Do you recommend almost ready to fly, or ready to fly from hobbyking.com
    Last edited by ipatry; 2nd February 2014 at 07:54 PM.

Below is a link to a Kit along the lines of what Scottu recommended:

http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/view...dProduct=31048
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

The bixler 1, 1.1, or a sky surfer or EZ Star would all fit the bill. HK is very affordable, especially when using us warehouse.
    Last edited by Pushjerk; 3rd February 2014 at 12:36 AM.
    "That aircraft is nothing but a bunch of spare parts flying in close formation!"

What about a wing as first fixed wing platform?

I've been flying for 20 years (3D, scale, speed) and I will have some quad FPV experience by the time the build is done. Any reason I shouldn't? I can handle a 150 mph edf LOS (don't know if that matters, but thought I'd mention it). I'm very comfortable on the sticks.

Welcome!

You need to read a lot first to avoid too many beginners mistakes (we all make them, but the Lab as a database can save you a lot of easy to avoid problems)

This thread is all about the bixler: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....t-the-Bixler-2
    This thread is about radio's: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....36-Which-Radio
    This thread is about first FPV gear (Vtx,Rx etc) http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....rting-with-FPV
    This subforum covers all the basics: http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?60-FAQs

Thread moved, merged and stickied in the FAQ.
    Last edited by Hans; 3rd February 2014 at 03:05 AM.

Navigator
    hey there and welcome. I am new here as well and recently bought my first plane for fpv. I have a some prior flying experience and had visions of cloud cruising and flying around the mountains here where I live. I decided on the finwing penguin. Big, capable, FPV specific airframe. It's very cool. Here's the deal though. Have flown it twice for about 10min and 15min. Both times ended a less than optimal landing and serious, day oto ver, damage was done both times. Easystar, bixler, penguin, etc. all fly great it seems and can grow with a beginner, but for an absolute first plane...epp foam, not epo. my old EPP slope wing took a beating for months. Neither of my "crash" landings with the penguin would have even put a dent in that wing. But here i am rebuilding broken foam again.

Reality....the long range capable plane that can fly miles might not survive flying around your local park until you land smoothly. My vote, and what I am consideringent now something that flies slow, and takes a beating. I am looking at a popwing/teksumo or something similar. I havent even flown fpv yet and am tearing stuff up. FWIW. Have fun.

Navigator
    Hello all!

I am trying to plan out my UHF Rx (Emmersion EZ UHF) and Video Tx placement (Boscam 832).

My goal is to fly around 5-10 miles with clear signal so I am trying to plan out my components wisely before I build my skywalker. I am basing my placement on:

1. Best antenna visibility to ground station from plane
    2. Separation between both systems (UHF Rx and Video Tx )
    3. Best way to avoid/reduce RFI and EMI noise
    Note: I am separating ALL signal wires and wrapping in aluminum foil, bradding ground/hot wires and placing ferrite rings at ends of all power runs to each component. Any suggestions/comments with this?

4. Air cooling on components. What placement will give me the best ventilation to keep these things cool

Below are my placement attempts at achieving these goals. I have placed some notes to further explain what I am going for.

Thank you for any help!!!

- Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX 2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	48661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX 1.1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	48662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EX 1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	48663

immersed from the start AtariJoe's Avatar
    Lesson 1.
    Foam does not block UHF signals.
    -LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP
    -Why? ...because I can.

If I may offer my $.02, I vote wingtips. Not sure how do-able it is in the skywalker, as I have no experience with it. I've run both antenna leads and vTX cable (Cat6) to the wing tips of a Bixler2 and Penguin, inlaid in the foam on underside of wing. Results are a clean look, and maximum component separation (and cloverleaves look really boss out in the wing IMO).

Holler if you'd like to see some photos or need any pointers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast