Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First FPV Plane!

Kickin Wing Animal Doctor Area52's Avatar

First FPV Plane!

Hey guys, been in the quadrotor scene for a bit now and am going to start my first fpv plane build. I have 3 different models picked out but am having trouble deciding on which one.

First is a Skywalker: http://www.fpvmodel.com/latest-versi...-plane_g6.html

Second: http://www.fpvmodel.com/raven-us-arm...color_g36.html (I really like this one )

Third: http://www.fpvmodel.com/new-skywalke...lane_g438.html

and go!
    Pew pew pew

For a first plane I would probably stick with foam and avoid the Raven.
    First plane on your list has huge cargo capacity and good accessibility to the gear inside. This is the newer fuse for the SW.
    Third one on the list also has large capacity but definitely less than the first. This one is the earlier version fuse of the SW.
    Both these two planes on your list have the same wing.
    KJ6BFN

Is working on 12 projects Sicarius's Avatar
    A skywalker is easy to fly but huge and intimidating to launch (My first plane was the big one)
    If you have steel nerves and dare to launch it full throttle then go for it, if not, get something in the order of a bixler, i'd suggest to get a plane that doesnt have a fragile nose and the SW does, a lot.. Mine had 3 soil related facelifts before it ever flew longer than 5 seconds.

Oh and if you start from quadrotors (like me) then remember, to get out of a hairy situation, FULL THROTTLE IS NOT THE ANSWER.. I had to chant this 5000 times before i stopped plowing planes into the ground at full blast
    Last edited by Sicarius; 24th January 2014 at 04:43 AM.
    Youtube username: SicariusMortus
    FPV NL

Haha thanks for the suggestions. My experience with rc planes/heli's goes back a few years, just new to the fpv aspect of it all. Also was looking at this beast as well. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R_C_Plane.html
    Last edited by Area52; 24th January 2014 at 05:05 AM.
    Pew pew pew

Is working on 12 projects Sicarius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Area52 View Post
    Haha thanks for the suggestions. My experience with rc planes/heli's goes back a few years, just new to the fpv aspect of it all. Also was looking at this beast as well. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R_C_Plane.html
    That's just an EPP clone of the skywalker, i'd go for the EPO skywalker, it's less bendy
    BTW If you already have LOS experience with planes, then go for the fatty skywalker, you'll love it
    Youtube username: SicariusMortus
    FPV NL

Personally, I've had great success with my Crash Test Hobby Albatross - they are ugly but incredibly stable, really easy to fly and almost indestructible while providing nice EPP protection for your gear. On a quiet day with a 2650mah pack, I can get >30mins of flight time. I recently lost mine down wind of where I was and it "crashed" and all that was broken was a wing band. They basically land themselves.

The bigger Storm Chaser can carry even more payload - there is a video of it carrying 18000mah which would give it over 2 hours in the air. But these are not fast planes, they are designed for cruising. If you want to dart from place to place, look elsewhere. The real key with these planes is that they are self stabilizing so if you're ever in trouble, you just let go of the sticks and they will level and fly straight. This means that you can concentrate on enjoying your surroundings rather than putting lots of effort into flying.

So many options! and I really like the albatross! Looks like a stable slow flying plane. Was also looking at the storm chaser at crash test hobby. (Edited: I am pretty much sold on the storm chaser with Polyhedral wings)
    Last edited by Area52; 24th January 2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Pew pew pew

If you already have an EasyStar, Bixler or other clone in your hangar, it'd be an obvious choice.
    KJ6BFN

I don't, I flew mostly 3d for awhile.
    Pew pew pew

Navigator

First fpv aircraft

Hello everyone, I own a dji phantom and other little multi rotors and helicopters. I am looking into getting an Aircraft for fpv flights. What starter aircraft do you recommend for long flight times, and far flying distances. I would love to explore mountains and such with it. What do you recommend that isn't to hard to assemble and is low cost? Also a fpv unit you guys recommend. Thanks
    Isaac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast