HobbyUAV

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techpod HD: a heavy duty upgrade build thread

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    This thread is funny. "I sold an FPV plane that isn't suitable for FPV, here's how you can fix it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    I think that's an unfair statement.. If a plane isn't built for 70 mph dives then it simply isn't built for it, when control is lost, it's still at the pilot's discretion, as it's probably an error in installing the equipment.
    If I take my Z2 out in a full throttle dive and i slam the elevator, it probably folds in half.. You won't see me taking it out on Chris, but on myself
    I agree with you that an aircraft has a flight envelope and should be flown within it, however with respect to the design of this particular aircraft the focus was aerodynamics and efficiency. Mechanical structure and durability were put on the back burner and as such this thread was created. Design is a series of compromises, when you drift to far in one direction you have to give in the other...
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

I in no way put "Mechanical structure and durability were put on the back burner ". I designed it with a particular VNE in mind. While remaining in that VNE of about 50 mph, my tests and experience showed no signs of wanting to break.

I completely apologize for not understanding 65 mph dives and emergency pull ups where expected to be survived. That simply was not part of my original design criteria. my inexperience with long range FPV left me unaware of the many time out of control situations that can arise.

I also apologize for not coming up with an upgrade earlier. Work and keeping up with customer service and having a family life left me with no time. To that end I quit my job so I could have the time to do this:

its 5 layers of 3.5 oz CF at the root 2 layers at the tip. The finish is no good but i know what went wrong and how to fix it. ill trim it up and see how it fits.

the skins fit perfect after a quick trim.

the leading edge looks good. a quick sanding and it should mate perfectly to the bottom half creating a nice sharp LE.

Glad to see it coming along, most of the carbon cloth projects didn't look that great popping out of the mold. The best finish I attained so far was on my mustang hood scoop using wax paper over the layup and squeegee out as much resin as possible. The carbon weave turned out really consistent, even after 2 or so years with acrylic enamel clear coat.

5 plies should be very stiff on the wing. Was considering using the lite glass with all of the carbon strand already laid out. Might use the older wings for a test subject first.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

I used mylar and I laid up on the mylar not the mold. I think a little more epoxy directly on the mylar and even let it set up a little before laying the first layer of cloth down.

Are you going to the r/c expo in Monroe next weekend? Trying to get over next Saturday, figure its just down the road from you.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby UAV View Post
    I in no way put "Mechanical structure and durability were put on the back burner ". I designed it with a particular VNE in mind. While remaining in that VNE of about 50 mph, my tests and experience showed no signs of wanting to break.

I completely apologize for not understanding 65 mph dives and emergency pull ups where expected to be survived. That simply was not part of my original design criteria. my inexperience with long range FPV left me unaware of the many time out of control situations that can arise.
    I did not intend to offend you wit my previous post, rather point out to Carbon that design is a compromise. You must give and take to come up with a solution. In the case of the techpod emphasis was given to efficiency, thus stiffness and durability were diminished.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Non taken ;-)

All 4 skin molds are done. I have to prepare the molds today . I should be done with the molds and have the first batch of skins tomorrow. I can't wait to test the new set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius View Post
    If I take my Z2 out in a full throttle dive and i slam the elevator, it probably folds in half.. You won't see me taking it out on Chris, but on myself
    well not the right comparison here. I bet your Z2 would do it no problem unless it is running 1000 watts. I do that with my Z2 all the time. Even my Teksumo. These wings are meant for radical flying.

It is fair enough that the oem Techpod must be flown within a tepid envelope. Can set up failsafes to keep it level and unstressed with RC control loss, and avoid cumulonimbus too.

That said, I am beginning the process of HDing mine now. Wow I ran out of epoxy real fast doing this. Need to buy it in litres I think
    another friggin lawn dart. love it