Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokerage Shipping Fees UPS?????

Navigator

Brokerage Shipping Fees UPS?????

Needless to say, i'm pissed. UPS wouldn't delivery today because i owe $36.32 in Brokerage fees? WTF are these fees? I already paid for shipping. Any answers as to why i'm now at nearly $160 for shipping?

EDIT 2/28/2014:

For those in the US use the following to save yourself some time and headache.

866-493-7140, press option 2, option 1 (option 2 is to get the documents/receipts)

This will allow you to pay electronically so the package can actually be delivered. Once you have paid, they will email you a receipt. Then fill out a ticket with TBS to contest the charge for you with UPS
    Last edited by ladysman; 2nd March 2014 at 11:23 AM.

Pilot
    I'm convinced that UPS needs to include brokerage fee's with the shipping. I owe $10 and they still delivered, never paid because I've already paid my shipping charges.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by TZZDC1241 View Post
    I'm convinced that UPS needs to include brokerage fee's with the shipping. I owe $10 and they still delivered, never paid because I've already paid my shipping charges.
    My assumption is yours were less because of less declared value?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...toms/fees.html It says that i owe TBS for this not UPS? Or at least to make the check out to TBS AVIONICS. I think i'm more pissed it was wasn't delivered plus I now have to make sure i'm here to pay so i need to take off work. If it's a signature, i can at least pre-sign for that.

Trappy? I saw a notice about import tax but i'm pretty sure this is for customs. Maybe add another warning (unless i missed it). i'm cooled off a little but still ticked. Unless import tax = customs. (n00b )
    Last edited by ladysman; 9th January 2014 at 08:56 PM.

Navigator
    There can be a lot of different fees from UPS, check the link below.
    I have NEVER payed anything to DHL or feedex from my 20 years of shopping. Last time ups told me i had to pay customs fees i asked for a customs receipt, the paper they get from the customs department that states the fee, they didn't have that and i did not pay!

So if there is a fee ask for the bill. Its in your right to know and if they can't show that to you i would decline the payment.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...toms/fees.html

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Las3r View Post
    There can be a lot of different fees from UPS, check the link below.
    I have NEVER payed anything to DHL or feedex from my 20 years of shopping. Last time ups told me i had to pay customs fees i asked for a customs receipt, the paper they get from the customs department that states the fee, they didn't have that and i did not pay!

So if there is a fee ask for the bill. Its in your right to know and if they can't show that to you i would decline the payment.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...toms/fees.html
    I'll be sure to do that. Although if i decline payment won't my disco return home..lol

Can count to potato.
    It should be your local customs import duty which is what you're being hit up for. It is not included in the shipping cost and varies country to country.

After you have placed your order with TBS, you can click the hyperlink in your email and then go through the "self declaration" option and pick the amount you want the shipment declared as. Same as what you do when you're buying something from Hobbyking.

If you decline payment I think your disco may be returned to sender, just pay the amount, get your toys and move on with life.

Brokerage fees are the fees for the carrier (UPS in this case) to bring the item into the country and fill out the government paperwork and then process it. In Canada where I am, it is a real sticking point because UPS charges about $50 for "brokerage fees" where Canada Post will receive an item from USPS and only charge $8. Clearly UPS is gouging on this one.

Several people in Canada have figured out and posted how to self broker items being shipped by UPS. Basically you reject the initial delivery and tell the driver to hold the item and you will self broker it. You then phone UPS and get the import receipt emailed in PDF form to you and fill out the proper customs import sheet. You then take it to the Canada Customs office nearest you, which I am lucky, as I live 10 minutes from Niagara Falls, and they will approve. Fax to UPS and they release the shipment.

This is a Canadian process. I'm not sure if such a process can be used in the US, but I have to believe it could. A little Google foo might get some answers.

edit: Here is the link for any Canuks looking for the process: http://trueler.com/2010/11/24/self-c...brokerage-fee/
    Last edited by Technoweenie; 9th January 2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added link to referenced post.
    Regards,
    Bryan VE3OYN
    "Technoweenie"
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, deny everything.

ok, first things first ... please pay the fee. we can tear UPS a new one after you have your goods, until they have your stuff they have the upper hand. if they get pissed at you they will start to incur storage fees and a wide variety of other fees that will surely drive you up the wall.

brokerage fees are due in case there is an exception with your customs officials. in most cases a heft complaint from TBS (which we will do on your behalf) will get them to issue you a check and an apology.

in any case no matter how you decide, please send us a detailed receipt and we will chase UPS for this. I ****ing hate hidden fees, and this is the third time this week that I am hearing about this. we are a VERY big UPS customer (probably one of the biggest in our "zip code") so they will try to keep my blood pressure low.

I certainly feel for you guys, here in Australia there is no extra fees or import duty on packages under $1,000 and I have never been asked for brokerage fees, as the man says ask for the bill, sounds like a scam to me.
    similis vobis fugere eam furatus!

• Edith Sitwell "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    ok, first things first ... please pay the fee. we can tear UPS a new one after you have your goods, until they have your stuff they have the upper hand. if they get pissed at you they will start to incur storage fees and a wide variety of other fees that will surely drive you up the wall.

brokerage fees are due in case there is an exception with your customs officials. in most cases a heft complaint from TBS (which we will do on your behalf) will get them to issue you a check and an apology.

in any case no matter how you decide, please send us a detailed receipt and we will chase UPS for this. I ****ing hate hidden fees, and this is the third time this week that I am hearing about this. we are a VERY big UPS customer (probably one of the biggest in our "zip code") so they will try to keep my blood pressure low.
    UPS is suppose to be here between 12-4 CST. I'll pay the fee, ask for a receipt. And if they don't have a detailed receipt? What to do then? I did get a phone number of a direct line to the accounting department at UPS. Not really sure why. Do i need to call that? Want me to post it here, i will...

Thanks everyone!