Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Boomcopter

Cor blimey, guv'nor!

The Boomcopter

0-60 in 3 seconds. Shot on an iPhone (1080p if you can), the sound of the fast fly-bys (best heard near the end) are amazing! I've much more funky tweaking to do (on the Taranis and APM), but this is going to be a BLAST!

If your quad pulls alongside me at the lights... don't try it on!

Last edited by Ian Davidson; 6th January 2014 at 03:48 AM.

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    oh that's awesome. Should enter this in a multirotor race.

where can I get one? do you have it set on a switch?
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretSpy711 View Post
    oh that's awesome. Should enter this in a multirotor race.

where can I get one? do you have it set on a switch?
    Thanks. Just maidened it today!

I've got lots of tweaking to do (just settings in the Taranis radio and APM flight-controller), but I think I should be able to set it up so all the stick controls are just like a flying a regular plane - think FunJet but with VTOL.

It should be able to pull manoeuvres no other multi-copter can, like climbing vertically nose-up and of course VERY fast forward flight without dipping the nose.

For the maiden, the boom-prop was purely controlled by a side-pot on the Taranis radio.

Instructor Pilot
    Bwahahah, I love it... I think the coolest thing about this is that it allows you to fly fast without the normal view of nothing but grass.

Can you go into details as to how you transition between hover mode and "plane" mode?

The next evolution of this is to see how much flight time you can gain by adding a blended wing style body, could be a great new way to do VTOL aircraft. Will be following this with interest! Genius...

Hmmmm. I think a twin on a H frame would be really cool

Hahaha! That's EPIC Now I see what you meant in the boomprop thread

I tried a pusher prop on a quad once, but it had to be way back on a boom to clear the rear of the quads rotors so it was tailheavy, and was limited to the size of prop due to landing gear (didn't think about folding props) but this... this is so much better!! Viva la Tricopter!!!
    "You can't take the sky from me"

Instructor Pilot
    This thread needs more attention - you need flashier titles Ian!

I think it's just bloody genius, would love to see how it works with some small aerodynamic control surfaces to help out during forward flight. I would love to try this out once you've nailed down the control programming details.

Duh...

How you control... the two... throttle, cause, well, you need something like it! the forward prop, is it just... on/off???

Any pics of the system of the pusher prop?
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

Stole from scotttu

Flying my Fascination BloomingtonFPV's Avatar
    Cool. At some point do you start getting lift for free from the other props, sort of like a gyrocopter? Or are they mostly drag with forward thrust?
    About to maiden my Fascination...

Sky Pirate & FPV Outlaw SecretSpy711's Avatar
    Been patiently waiting for the boomprop parts to show up on shapeways... are you still planning on doing that? Noticed you've been pretty hush hush every time someone asks how they can get one :-)
    youtube.com/secretspy711
    COFPV.com

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast