FPVLAB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FPV TEK SUMO Try 2 Mountan plane

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by marzvt View Post
    Here is a diagram showing what I did and why. I hope it helps, and if anyone sees something I can improve I would love the feedback!
    Attachment 4805
    Thanks for the diagram. Could you please explain why you did these 2 things since I'm an FPV noob:
    1. If the RC receiver is in the left wing tip, then surely you don't need any shielded cable, but just 5v power in and 3 twisted servo cables out.
    2. Why do the video a/v wires from OSD to VTX follow a different route compared to the video power wires?

Quote Originally Posted by turdsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the diagram. Could you please explain why you did these 2 things since I'm an FPV noob:
    1. If the RC receiver is in the left wing tip, then surely you don't need any shielded cable, but just 5v power in and 3 twisted servo cables out.
    2. Why do the video a/v wires from OSD to VTX follow a different route compared to the video power wires?
    Sorry for the late reply I missed your post somehow.
    1. The shielded cable is to protect the wires going from the center of the plane to the receiver from the magnetic interference of the motor of the servo which it runs right next to. Its not to protect the video.
    2. You should always separate power from signal wires, especially for longer runs. This is because all cables with power running through them produce a magnetic field.
    This all is over kill for regular rc but makes a big difference when you start flying at the extents of your operational range.
    I'm sure any of the electrical engineers on the forum will have alot more to add on this subject. I was originally taught it back when I was doing car audio installations back in the late 80's. I was taught to run the signal wires down one side of the car and the power lines down the other side of the car. If you ran them together to would get a hum. The same thing applies to this, except think static or lines instead of a hum.
    Last edited by marzvt; 5th December 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Here is the first video of testing. Right now it is really tail heavy because I trashed my Pixim camera with an ill placed puddle, also I switched to acrylic vertical stabilizers which weigh more.
    They are more slick and strong than to original ones though. I need to see how the plane balances when I add the Gopro.
    Also having some video issues. I need to add cooling vents, try different channels, and replace all the carbon and that should resolve that.
    http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...vX6vC62Epc</a>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	4917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	4918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	4920
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	4916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	4919  

Navigator
    Thanks for the wiring advice. Your video link is broken b.t.w., but I still managed to find and watch it. You have a lot of interference in your video. I had that with my last EzOSD setup too in my Skywalker using a single battery setup. I couldn't get rid of the interference no matter what I did in terms of avoiding ground loops and filtering. Adding LC-filters seemed to do nothing and in some cases even made the interference worse. When I switched to RVOSD (which is my favourite OSD from a wiring (esp. star ground) perspective), all interference disappeared. In my Tek Sumo I want to use my EzOSD, but I hope I'll have better luck with it this time, or else I'll just have to use a 2 battery setup against my will.

Quote Originally Posted by turdsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the wiring advice. Your video link is broken b.t.w., but I still managed to find and watch it. You have a lot of interference in your video. I had that with my last EzOSD setup too in my Skywalker using a single battery setup. I couldn't get rid of the interference no matter what I did in terms of avoiding ground loops and filtering. Adding LC-filters seemed to do nothing and in some cases even made the interference worse. When I switched to RVOSD (which is my favourite OSD from a wiring (esp. star ground) perspective), all interference disappeared. In my Tek Sumo I want to use my EzOSD, but I hope I'll have better luck with it this time, or else I'll just have to use a 2 battery setup against my will.
    Actually I have no interference in my goggles no waves or anything. the interference is in the recorder I am using. I bought this crappy recorder off a guy on rcgroups and I am getting interference with it. If I dont sort that out, next time I will use my laptop so you can see the video like I am seeing it.

Navigator
    Thanks for keeping us updated! what is the AUW with no LiPo of your setup? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nek View Post
    Thanks for keeping us updated! what is the AUW with no LiPo of your setup? Thanks
    Hey nek, what do you mean AUW with no lipo?

All up weight without batteries
    FPV is not a crime!

executiveprinters.com
    printingplusfl.com

ah, Ill weigh it tonight and let you know.

I was tired of breaking motor mounts so I finally got around to modding my folding prop for use as a pusher prop.
    On these props you need to make a "block" to prevent the prop from over extending into the air frame under load. By design these props use their spinner to do this but that doesn't work when they are mounted backwards on a pusher plane.

To solve this I filled on both sides with 15 minute epoxy. I used tape to keep it nice and square with the frame. Put in more than you think you will need.
    Let it dry over night then file it down to that you can just barely line the screw up.
    At this point the blade should swing out and lock parallel with the frame. Make sure both sides lock in the same place.
    If you over file, just add more epoxy and repeat. Epoxy bonds seamlessly with itself.
    Make sure to balance the frame before adding the blades. Lightly sand the sides to get it to balance so you don't mess with the blade locking point.
    Then add the blades and re-balance.
    Note this only works with folding props that go to a 90 degree angle, like the United Hobbies props. I have an Aeronot propeller that this trick wont work with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0210.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	4966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0209.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	4967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0208.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	64.5 KB